Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordy
    replied
    I never measured the current draw on the Madeleine. But there are some new solutions that you might find will work for your needs. Take a Look at the Sure JAB1 and JAB2. These are amp and BT all in one with a battery option. The board can be used with or without. I have been tinkering with one for a few weeks and am pleaseed with the results. Note, it is a new product and I have found a few issues that are easily resolved with the JAB1. The battery board is fairly small and the charging is integrated so you can charge and listen at the same time. It is a pretty neat package at a good price.

Leave a comment:

• Altoid
    replied
    Originally posted by sh0ck1999 View Post
    How much power does that unit draw in terms of 12vdc watts At 80% volume. ?

I stumbled across this build and wanna do the same exact thing but I don't wanna be tied to a wall. My thought is to use my M18 drill batteries for an alt power source they sell the slide on terminal blocks as spare parts. The batteries are 18v 5ah. Was going to use a simple dc-dc buck board to bring voltage down to 12v for the Bluetooth and amp. Was also tossing around using the 25watt amp since that can run straight off the 18v. Anyone have any thoughts on how well that would work. I don't know anything about audio. Not sure if the buck board will cause interference or not.

Honestly, I don't think all that is worth your trouble. You would be better off going with a 12v power source. I recently finished up a project and used a 12v 6000mah rechargeable li-ion battery that I picked up off amazon. It would easily power this. You would just need to figure out how you want o incorporate it into your final build. I built my last portable speaker in an old Dewalt Drill case. That build I got over 14 hours of continuous play time.

Here's a link to the battery: https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Re.../dp/B00MF70BPU

Here's a link to the build I used the battery in: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...th-am-fm-tuner

Leave a comment:

• sh0ck1999
    replied
    How much power does that unit draw in terms of 12vdc watts At 80% volume. ?

I stumbled across this build and wanna do the same exact thing but I don't wanna be tied to a wall. My thought is to use my M18 drill batteries for an alt power source they sell the slide on terminal blocks as spare parts. The batteries are 18v 5ah. Was going to use a simple dc-dc buck board to bring voltage down to 12v for the Bluetooth and amp. Was also tossing around using the 25watt amp since that can run straight off the 18v. Anyone have any thoughts on how well that would work. I don't know anything about audio. Not sure if the buck board will cause interference or not.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by Altoid View Post

Well I ended up finishing mine. I documented it here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post41642385

Here are a few pics. I really liked the dovetail joints I decided to go with. Thanks for all the help!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_59023_1457415854570_887[/ATTACH]
    Very nice, I felt the same way about the sound when I first heard mine.

Leave a comment:

• Altoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

Nice work with the joinery!!! You should be proud.

Thanks Paul! I should really be thanking you for designing such great speakers. This project wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the work that you do for the DIY community.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Well I ended up finishing mine. I documented it here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post41642385

Here are a few pics. I really liked the dovetail joints I decided to go with. Thanks for all the help!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_59023_1457415854570_887[/ATTACH]
    Nice work with the joinery!!! You should be proud.

Leave a comment:

• Altoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
    Re: 1st Boombox Project - The Madeleine

I actually built the boom box for a friend, I'm not sure if he uses the bass /treble adjustment or not. It's not a necessity to have them, just nice sometimes to have the option.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied

Do you find yourself using the tonal adjustments on your Lepai?
    I actually built the boom box for a friend, I'm not sure if he uses the bass /treble adjustment or not. It's not a necessity to have them, just nice sometimes to have the option.

Leave a comment:

• Altoid
    replied

I've never used a circuit board adjustment like that, so that YouTube video was really needed. Do you find yourself using the tonal adjustments on your Lepai? I'm considering buying the circuit board and the RCA level controller to see which I like better. I'm not sure I'd be able to wire the volume pot by itself, so I think I'll skip that. But I love the ideas! Thank You!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied

Those are nice! I love what you did with the Lepai! I wish I would have thought of that when I bought the parts. You did a great job incorporating it too! I ended up getting the same sure amp as Gordy. I was thinking of trying to incorporate an RCA level controller between the amp and the Bluetooth module. The box material was going to be oak, so I was hoping to try to make a custom oak knob for it. I'll mess around with some pine first. Here's what I was thinking of using, the Axxess AALC Remote RCA Level Controller. Any problems with something like this?
    Thanks man! I never thought of using one of those controls for a project like this. I've used them in vehicles with sub amps though. I would probably go with a volume pot for the Sure board maybe http://www.parts-express.com/parts-e...shaft--023-646 or one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it would give you bass/treble adjustment too. I found a guy on YouTube that is pretty good at wiring up bluetooth boom boxes, check him out if you get a chance. https://youtu.be/R6ujN0kUrfQ

Leave a comment:

• Altoid
    replied

Those are nice! I love what you did with the Lepai! I wish I would have thought of that when I bought the parts. You did a great job incorporating it too! I ended up getting the same sure amp as Gordy. I was thinking of trying to incorporate an RCA level controller between the amp and the Bluetooth module. The box material was going to be oak, so I was hoping to try to make a custom oak knob for it. I'll mess around with some pine first. Here's what I was thinking of using, the Axxess AALC Remote RCA Level Controller. Any problems with something like this?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied

Thank You! I must have overlooked it. It looks like I was on the right track. I have to admit, that is the best pdf guide I've ever seen for building a speaker!

I've been considering running a small volume control between the rca connection and keeping it in the back. I may even make a matching oak knob. Thoughts? Do you even feel like it's needed? Or has controlling it with your device worked alright?
    I've always liked the idea of a volume control in-between lets say a phone and the amp. Sometimes the volume on the phone may be turned up all the way without realizing it, then your music starts out blaring and distorting. I used one of the Lepai 2020a+ amps in mine.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20150729_011023.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1171539

Name:	rps20150729_010953.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1171540

Name:	rps20150729_010911.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1171541

Leave a comment:

• Altoid
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
    Check out post #61 in this thread, Gordy has a PDF of the build dimensions
    Thank You! I must have overlooked it. It looks like I was on the right track. I have to admit, that is the best pdf guide I've ever seen for building a speaker!

I've been considering running a small volume control between the rca connection and keeping it in the back. I may even make a matching oak knob. Thoughts? Do you even feel like it's needed? Or has controlling it with your device worked alright?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied

I had an epiphany the other day. I saw the B4Ns and thought they'd make a great Bluetooth speaker. So I started to design something very similar, then someone referred me to you. I must say, it looks like I'm a slow thinker, way to be ahead of the game! I'm basically going to do the same project made out of Red Oak.

I started it already. My current dimensions are 6" tall, 17.75" wide and 12" deep (2" for the amp cavity). The wood is .75". I think each internal cavity has a volume of .172, which is close to the original OS .174. Do these seem about right? It's a surprise gift for my wife for her birthday.
    Check out post #61 in this thread, Gordy has a PDF of the build dimensions

Leave a comment:

• Altoid
    replied

I had an epiphany the other day. I saw the B4Ns and thought they'd make a great Bluetooth speaker. So I started to design something very similar, then someone referred me to you. I must say, it looks like I'm a slow thinker, way to be ahead of the game! I'm basically going to do the same project made out of Red Oak.

I started it already. My current dimensions are 6" tall, 17.75" wide and 12" deep (2" for the amp cavity). The wood is .75". I think each internal cavity has a volume of .172, which is close to the original OS .174. Do these seem about right? It's a surprise gift for my wife for her birthday.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X