X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyekode
    replied
    Re: 1st Boombox Project - The Madeleine

They look wonderful! I do worry about the joint between the top and sides where the grain runs in different directions. Especially as the top is so wide. Do you think expansion/contraction will cause a problem there?

Leave a comment:

• Slicknashville
    replied

HOLY SMOKES!
    Those builds both look great....
    Last edited by Slicknashville; 02-09-2015, 08:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lutkeveld
    replied

10/10 would buy. I like this one even more than the previous one, which I liked a lot Photo quality and the boombox are both very professional.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by woodwelder View Post
    Gordy,

Absolutely love the design. Been studying it for quite some time - thanks for the detailed instructions and plans! Please keep up the great posts - I am following all 3 projects with great interest. The final product here is amazing. I am starting a portable bluetooth project, but this one might have to be my next.

Thank you for the kind words. If you have any questions just let me know. My Dad rocks his boom box every day and loves it.

regards,

Gordy

Leave a comment:

• woodwelder
    replied

Gordy,

Absolutely love the design. Been studying it for quite some time - thanks for the detailed instructions and plans! Please keep up the great posts - I am following all 3 projects with great interest. The final product here is amazing. I am starting a portable bluetooth project, but this one might have to be my next.

Leave a comment:

• Difvision
    replied

Congrats! Great appearance. Product / store worthy!

Leave a comment:

• Nsanderas
    replied

Those are really nice builds to say the least! You have a PM Gordy!

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    Wow they both turned out fantastic. Is that gorilla glue (or a urethane glue) that you used for the threaded inserts? I'm about to use that on a hardwood speaker I've been working on for a while, and I don't want to jack it up.

It is tight bond 2 wood glue on the inserts. Like T nuts, these inserts have a tendency to cross thread and strip out. I wanted the insert to stay put, but I also wanted it to be removable. Even thought I routed out the back of the speaker cut out there was still enough material for the insert to grab on to.

I used 8-32 allen button head machine screws and had to drill out the speaker to accommodate the larger thread size. Like any insert, these work best when the object being mounted has a little wiggle room.
    I had a set of inserts that had a flange and ones that did not. Next time I will be using the ones with a flange. It gives the screw a little more guidance into the threads.

I really wish I could just find a sheet metal or wood screw that has a black finish and that was not tamper resistant or stainless. Maybe I could find some stainless screws that fit the bill and have my gunsmith park them.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Wow they both turned out fantastic. Is that gorilla glue (or a urethane glue) that you used for the threaded inserts? I'm about to use that on a hardwood speaker I've been working on for a while, and I don't want to jack it up.

Leave a comment:

• lowpolyjoe
    replied

Beautiful builds! Great thread!

I will definitely keep that Bluetooth board in mind.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

Yeah, so're my nephew and his fiancee, teaching in San Salvador, El Salvador.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Great job Gordy. What's your general location, if you don't mind me asking? It would be super cool to see one of these at a DIY show!!
    I am in central Texas. Pretty far from you but at least in the same time zone

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Great job Gordy. What's your general location, if you don't mind me asking? It would be super cool to see one of these at a DIY show!!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

VERY nice. Very "rich" looking.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

I finished the second box today. Assembly took 3+ hours. I had to be very careful as to not mar or scratch the finish. I have been listing to this box all night. It sounds just as good as the other and I am sure my dad will like it. I really wanted to pay close attention to detail from the heat shrink to the allen head button head machine screws that the speakers are attache with. That was a list minute trip to Fastenal this afternoon. I have really enjoyed building these two enclosures and am pretty happy with my 1st and 2nd time out building DIY speakers. Swopes are next and in-between I might do a a set of OSs with a matching hardwood amp. Bluetooth of course with an aux input and some minimalistic connections. I wanted to play around with the Sure volume control and that might be a good project to do it with. Or even a hardwood headphone amp. I think I might be addicted.

Assembly

Finished and ready for delivery

Leave a comment:

Working...
X