• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Re: 1st Boombox Project - The Madeleine

WHOAH. You're killing us, dude!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Finish is done. Now to wait for the rest of the parts and a good 24 hours to dry.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

I have considerably less hours into this cabinet that I do than last one, right now about half the time. I started the finish today. I know folks like to use stains and dyes for different hardwoods or veneers but I have always liked the natural color of the wood. It will get darker with the applying of any finishes but it still captures the natural color of the wood.

For this exercise I decided to use a grain filler as I have never used one before. This is almost a must with red oak if you want a glassy smoothness. I did not go to the effort on the last box. I found a product made by Timbermate. It is a water based wood dough and grain filler. It is like skim coating a car body with bondo. I only did one application and really should have done 2 but I satisfied with the results. Some of the grain shows but not much. Enough to give it a "still natural" look. It also filled in some of the hairline items around the joints of the cabinet.

Timbermate makes many colors and since Mahogany I have is more brown than red. So, I used their Walnut color as this proved to be more of a match. After the cabinet was sanded with 220, I applied 2 good coats of Deft Sanding Sealer. It is being finished in Deft Clear Wood Finish and in a Satin luster. I am a big fan of Deft products especially in the spray can variety, half the price of most things on the shelf and the most consistent and smoothest spraying finish I have ever found. The nozzles on their cans are some of the best. Once it sets up and drys is it super durable as well and it does not yellow wood over time.

The remainder of the parts arrive tomorrow and I want to have this done and ready to begin the final assmebly.

Leave a comment:

• Thumper Tom
    replied

WOW :eek: That looks fantastic!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

I made signifiant progress today. Mahogany is pretty easy to work with and it also pretty forgiving. I decided to change things a little on this box. I moved the fuse holder internal. One less hole to drill really. Also on this project I used 1/4" dowels instead of 5/16" I sunk them just enough that I was able to use them line up pins as opposed to actual integral parts of the box. These proved to be much easier to work with.

I also decided to put a round over on all 4 corners. The first box had a 1/2" round over. Since I had to buy a new router to support the newly added Jasper circle cuter, the new router supports 1/2" shank bits. That enabled me to run to the Woodcraft store and grab a 5/8" round over. I think it looks a lot better with the larger round over and all four corners done.

I also assembled it a little differently. I cut the baffle 1/4" large in order to use the flush cut but to clean up the edges. This gave me a perfectly flush baffle with little sanding.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

I was shocked as well. They arrived faster than the units I ordered from their website and I even selected express delviery. I have been logging lots of hours on the box and and electronics and no hiccups yet. Still amazed at the sound.

I ordered all of the XO components and speakers today from PE. Since this next box will be a late father's day gift and we are going to see him on July 4th, I have to get to work.

The planer arrived this morning. Assembly was quick and I adjusted the end tables and ran some scrap to see how it worked. In less than an hour of arrival, I have all of the mahogany down to 3/4" without any snipe. Now to do the finish cuts this afternoon.

Last edited by Gordy; 06-26-2014, 10:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Wowzers.....that was the quickest I ever received an ebay purchase direct from China....very much looking forward to using these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	1158759

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Thanks Gordy. I just stuck in a fleabay order for a pair. I'm planning to outfit my kid's bathroom with a small sound system from my menagerie of spare parts and they definitely want BT. I’ve tried the BT-1A module from PE and it sucks (sorry PE). In fact the BT module offerings from PE just are not good at all. I’m looking forward to trying the Sure APT-X. I suspect I will use the second one to add BT to my existing Cougar tailgate boom box.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Rough cutting the mahogany for surprise late father's day gift for my Dad. The wood is sitting on top of the Dewalt stand that will be the home of a DW735x that should arrive tomorrow morning. I am pretty excited to work with mahogany. At ~$4.95 a board foot, it is almost the same cost as veneer.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Haha......you better be sitting when you power up the Swopes for the first time then.
    Yeah- and wearing rubber pants.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
    I have also been getting my plans ready for a full set of Swopes. If the Swopes sound half as good as the OSs, I would be very happy.
    Haha......you better be sitting when you power up the Swopes for the first time then.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by Jbarnes View Post
    Nice looking build there. Props for finding the Sure bluetooth. I just tried one of the cheapy 5v units that PE sells and it sounds horrible. I thought it would work well for one of my boomboxes, but it proved me wrong.

Jay

Thanks for the props. Paul's OSs are simply exceptional and in a boombox configuration they are incrediable. I will be building the next one in solid Mahogany. I have Dewalt 735 surface planer being delivered in a few days and hope to get started on it this weekend.

I purchased all of the parts to do some of the cheap 5V BT units as well. I tried the Sure APT-X BT module first and stopped there. I also have 2 more in my tool box. It really is night and day from standard BT. I have not listened to any other device in my house for the last few weeks. I am that floored.

Speaking of, I have some Karma to spread around. I have 2 USB BT audio adapters I would be happy to send on to anyone who wants one. Free and shipping is on me. They are new in package and come with a headphone 3.5mm cable. PM me your address and I will send one to you.

I have also been getting my plans ready for a full set of Swopes. If the Swopes sound half as good as the OSs, I would be very happy.

Leave a comment:

• Jbarnes
    replied

Nice looking build there. Props for finding the Sure bluetooth. I just tried one of the cheapy 5v units that PE sells and it sounds horrible. I thought it would work well for one of my boomboxes, but it proved me wrong.

Jay

Leave a comment:

• Melby Audio
    replied

Nice! Always been a fan of McMaster Carr.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

That looks really nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X