• mzisserson
    replied
    Re: 1st Boombox Project - The Madeleine

Awesome execution!

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

After we got home this afternoon, I took a trip to Dakota Hardwoods. I picked up 11 bdft of mahogany and 11 bdft of soft maple. I was rather shocked by their prices. They were significantly cheaper than the big box stores of course.

I did not price the red oak they had, which of coarse was much better wood, but the Mahogany board was $58. I spent ~$85 on red oak at Lowes for one cabinet. This puts the build cost for one cabinet out of mahogany at $29. It is cheaper to buy the hardwood than MDF and veneer. I kind of wanted to get into learning how to veneer but at these prices it may not be worth it. They also had cherry, alder and other exotics. I really wanted to see some of their burled maple but was afraid I might end up leaving with 3 boards not 2.

Since the wood is sold by the board foot it is 13/16" thick. I will have to buy a surface planer to get the wood to 3/4" as well as finish the rougher surface. A planer will also allow me to work with 5/4 boards and bring costs down further.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
    Yes just wire it inline. I believe it does isolate a ground loop, however I have bad luck with car audio ground loop isolators. It seems that they reduce but don't eliminate the noise.

Thank You! I did try a car audio ground loop isolator with zero luck. I ordered a 1w and 2w model. I am actually in. Fort Worth this weekend but don't have time to stop on the way back down south. If this works or reduces the noise that would be wonderful. I am hopefully going to go take a look at some different wood this afternoon. I really appreciate the help Melby.

Leave a comment:

• Melby Audio
    replied

Yes just wire it inline. I believe it does isolate a ground loop, however I have bad luck with car audio ground loop isolators. It seems that they reduce but don't eliminate the noise.

Leave a comment:

• Lutkeveld
    replied

The isolated DC-DC converter is to prevent groundloop right? You can use a groundloop isolator in the line-level signal. It's basically a 1:1 input trafo and eliminates unwanted noise.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Basically there's an input/ground and output/ground...

page 6 of the pdf http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/281/kdc_nke-10123.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Yes, that is actually the exact series that I typically use.

My knowledge of how to apply the isolated converter is very limited. I was looking at the 1212SC. Is it as easy as wiring this device inline - in from the power supply and out the BT module using all 4 pins? Any help is greatly appreciated. My Dad has been making it very clear that he wants one of these. So it looks like I will probably be making another.

Leave a comment:

• Melby Audio
    replied

Double Post.

Leave a comment:

• Melby Audio
    replied

Yes, that is actually the exact series that I typically use.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Wow, super nice craftsmanship! You could probably get rid of the noise with a little work, not sure how bad it is. I have had good luck using DC-DC isolated converters to run the BT. It would be a shame for it not to sound as perfect as it looks.

I was researching isolated DC-DC converters and found this. Is this what you are referring to.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...kELw%252bCU%3d

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
    Tell me more about the DC-DC isolated converters
    Yes, please. And Gordy...this is incredible.....I'm sure Paul Carmody is grinning from ear to ear. If you're ever close to a DIY event, this must be seen.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Wow, super nice craftsmanship! You could probably get rid of the noise with a little work, not sure how bad it is. I have had good luck using DC-DC isolated converters to run the BT. It would be a shame for it not to sound as perfect as it looks.
    Tell me more about the DC-DC isolated converters

Leave a comment:

• Melby Audio
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ryan
    replied

Great build thread, lots of pics! Clearly you built the furniture in the background of one of your pictures!

Leave a comment:

• Brian Steele
    replied

Gorgeous work!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X