Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhollander
    replied
    That's a good question. I have not bought a pair of the new RST drivers, this might be a good excuse. I'll add this to my list of projects.

Leave a comment:

• trevor995
    replied
    Any update on if the new Dayton tweeter will work in this? It may be a project that I’m interested in.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    The first dipole null is at 1,600 Hz for the RS150 so we need a tweeter that is comfortable at an x-o point close to that. The SEAS Prestige 27TBFC/G (H1212) would be my choice for a replacement, but it looks like the RS28A replacement is close to production (in a few months). If you can wait there will be a better replacement.

The new tweeter will require a few crossover changes, but that will not take long after I can get the tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    The XT is a viable option as is the dg25 aluminum. The 2-4 needs to cross at about 3k minimum, and steep. Either way, it will require a rework of the crossover.

Leave a comment:

• HiHoSilverado
    replied
    I have been wanting to build the Aperivox for a few years now and was disappointed to see that the RS28A-4 is discontinued. Any recommendations for a replacement tweeter? I am currently looking at the Dayton Audio AMTPRO-4 Air Motion Transformer and the Tymphany XT25BG60-04.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Re: Aperivox, 2014 MWAF

Fred, agreed that a big range is good, I really like the full range in my Indy NG design. You can easily hear the OB difference. The bass tuning on that design is a little weak.

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

Going back and looking at response of the RS150 without the crossover I think you made the logical choice. It would be nice to get the greatest range of dipole response possible but the drivers response will point out where they want to be crossed. It is a beautiful design and I was just throwing a what if out there.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
    I am a little curious if you had considered a notch filter at 1KHz and expanding bandwidth of RS 150 operating dipole to maybe 350 to 2.5 or 3KHz. The tweeter cross over looks like it took at lot of finesse to get right.
    Fred notching the mid to extend it is problematic. It's going to add a level of complication and parts that, IMO are not worth it. The tweeter is a result of where the slopes end up on the the mid. I'm looking to cross the tweeter near the first dipole null, as working outside that range gets messy with the wrap around response.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Beautiful, innovative and challenging design/build. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Fred in the first post the Aperivox PDF has the measured response on page 3, page 6 has the ABC sim.
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Fred in the first post the Aperivox PDF has the measured response on page 3, page 6 has the ABC sim.
    Your documentation is first rate and better than most telecom documents that I have worked with and written. I am a little curious if you had considered a notch filter at 1KHz and expanding bandwidth of RS 150 operating dipole to maybe 350 to 2.5 or 3KHz. The tweeter cross over looks like it took at lot of finesse to get right. I hate this process am going to start offsetting drivers to get away with order high pass and second low pass for the tweeter and mid. Second to third networks seem twitchy for me to get to sound right. Your results here are in my top ten of beautifully finished all well thought out designs I half seen on the forum. Keep working on those dipoles so we have a dipole guru for us masochist who want to build them.

Fred

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

The design is a work art. Your attention to detail right down to the documentation staggering. I am really curious what the reponse or mid driver on the dipole baffle looked like if you ran
    Any simulations on programs like EDGE to analyze the dipole peak or polar plots measuring with the actual baffle speaker response

Fred

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

Here are some further drawing clarifications. The dimensions are now all inches, previously they were cm over inches. I also removed some extra lines that were confusing. Hope this helps.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

MDF is fine. You could probably go down to 1 inch thick without any issues

Leave a comment:

• upsman
    replied

John. Do you think the baffle can be done in MDF and painted black or is the solid wood baffle a more sturdy base for the drivers............

Leave a comment:

Working...
X