My first build - Overnight Sensations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first build - Overnight Sensations

The north east of sc. I'm sure there are a few diy'rs around, but i don't recall having heard anyone talking about it.

Comment

And you guys seem reluctant to even mention brands unless for a driver. Every so often someone will mention Klipsch or Krell, but this is rare. What I'm hoping to avoid is throwing money and time into a project only to discover I might have done just as well to buy the equivalent of some Kraco's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ithaca View Post
        And you guys seem reluctant to even mention brands unless for a driver. Every so often someone will mention Klipsch or Krell, but this is rare. What I'm hoping to avoid is throwing money and time into a project only to discover I might have done just as well to buy the equivalent of some Kraco's.

Well, to be fair, you are asking this question in an unrelated topic in a sub forum. Go ahead and make a new post in the main forum, and you will probably get some answers.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Ithaca
          I understand your question about comparison however I don't have any manufactured speakers in the same category to compare these with.

Similarly to joshuass1467 I was looking forward to the journey just as much as the end result. I get a great feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment out of building something myself. I am in the midst of building the Voxel Sub right now and will undoubtably build more speakers in the future.

When I was considering building my own set I did rely on the comments of others who mentioned that DIY speakers will give you the same sound quality as store bought speakers costing many times more. While I have no direct proof of this I believe it to be true.

This may sound corny but I feel as though I am discovering nuances in the music that I haven't heard before. I guess that translates to better clarity, definition, sound stage ?? Again I am no expert.

I never tire of listening to them.
          Last edited by glbfoo; 08-30-2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I appreciate your response, along with the others. Yours is as encouraging as any I have read. I now have to figure out which to purchase and from where - the overnights seem like a good place to start and yours are very nice looking.

Comment

Originally posted by dougjohnson View Post
              That veneer will get darker and redder with time. -- Doug
              Yeah... I bought a roll of cherry veneer. The exposed part of the roll was darker than the hidden part. That was a waste. Maple is another offender. It darkens and yellows as it ages in light. I have a pair of maple veneered speakers. The one near a window is a lot darker and yellower than the other one.

Comment

Yeah... I bought a roll of cherry veneer. The exposed part of the roll was darker than the hidden part. That was a waste. Maple is another offender. It darkens and yellows as it ages in light. I have a pair of maple veneered speakers. The one near a window is a lot darker and yellower than the other one.
                I'm pretty sure there are finishes that can provide UVA/B protection to the veneers.

Comment

Working...
                X