Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swopes 5.0

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
    Shouldn't the tension spring be on the other side of the mount?
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
      Have you ever accidentally touched the wire?
      Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Shouldn't the tension spring be on the other side of the mount?
      Wolf
      Yes that was the original design. When assembled it did not work out that way. There was enough tension on the wire itself but it would move to much left and right above the table. The tension spring really does not need to be there since the stainless leader used is pretty thick. I was going to use nicor wire which is much thinner. The spring on the side it is on now adds that rigidity and keeps it from moving left and right on the table side.
      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

Comment

In light of the parts I missed, I was still able to start building the rest of the crossovers. I design the layout in Visio and it is 1:1 and prints out 1:1. It gives me the location of all the holes to be drilled. From there it is off to the drill press and in short order they are ready to be assembled. I am missing the 2.0mh coil hence the large open area on the board. Each board is 6mm void-less birch and measures 3" x 7". They more than fit through the cut out for the M5a and will be mounted on the bottom of the box

"A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
        The Roxster
        Swopes 5.0
        Acoustic Panels
        Living Room Make Over

Comment

Good idea the way you laid out the crossover.
          May want to turn the small coil up on edge so it's perpendicular to the large coil.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
            May want to turn the small coil up on edge so it's perpendicular to the large coil.
            Never done a xover before. Why does the placing of a coil in any particular position matter?

Comment

Has to do with inductance and the magnetic field that is created by the coil. Kind of like a transformer, so you could have added distortion/voltage.
              If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
              What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
              It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Originally posted by Ithaca View Post
                Never done a xover before. Why does the placing of a coil in any particular position matter?
                Magnetic field generation of the coils and how they interact with each other.
                Wolf
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Swopes 5.0

Thank you both. I should have thought of magnetics being involved. What does this mean for spacing?
                  Last edited by Ithaca; 10-21-2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Look at the attachment from dewmiester, if turned on end and facing the right direction that smaller coil can be placed quite close without an issue.
                    Paul

The "SB's" build page
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

This thread and your shop are awesome!

Am I crazy or does that entire pipe assembly have current running through it? How low is the voltage?

Comment

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
                        Well that is a downer. I will see if I can turn one up on its end.

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                        This thread and your shop are awesome!

Am I crazy or does that entire pipe assembly have current running through it? How low is the voltage?
                        The transformer converts the AC to DC current. So low voltage.

The Madeleine
                        The Roxster
                        Swopes 5.0
                        Acoustic Panels
                        Living Room Make Over

Comment

Very little progress made. I started to layout the crossover for the center channel. I am still waiting on a few parts to come in to finish it. I will spend the coming weekend gluing up the MTMs and hopefully do some more work on the stands. My day job is getting busy so my timeline is going to have to stretch out a little.

The Madeleine
                          The Roxster
                          Swopes 5.0
                          Acoustic Panels
                          Living Room Make Over

Comment

The transformer converts the AC to DC current. So low voltage.
                            If there is no diode set/bridge and filter caps present after the secondary of the transformer, then that is still AC on the wire. You cannot transform DC. Transformers change the voltage and current. IE- you have VA rating, say 120VA for simplicity. Input is 120VAC/1A, output IE- at 12VAC/10A if the secondary leads can handle the 10A current. Smaller leads would be 12VAC at lesser current. You have to rectify the AC output to make it DC.

Later,
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Got the crossovers done today. Still missing a .22uf cap on the center channel board. It is inbound and I will mount it underneath the board connected with the 2.0mh coil. I also moved 4 of the coils vertical from flat per Dewmiester

The Madeleine
                              The Roxster
                              Swopes 5.0
                              Acoustic Panels
                              Living Room Make Over

Comment

I went to the lumber yard and picked up some 4/4 Walnut this afternoon. After a few passes in the surface planner, I was able to mock up the stands. The bottom of the stands will have spikes on them. With the stands and speaker the total height should be at 39". Building the stand reinforces to me again why I would really prefer to work with hardwood than MDF. I am also still debating on if I would chamfer the edges of the center support post.

The Madeleine
                                The Roxster
                                Swopes 5.0
                                Acoustic Panels
                                Living Room Make Over

Comment

Working...
                                X