Swopes 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swopes 5.0

Made a lot of good progress on the stands today. I got the centers glued up and finish planed. The top and bottom plates will be attached via screws and have dowels for support. The inputs for the MTMs are located on the bottom of the speakers. The centers of the stands are routed out as this is where the speaker wire will run and exit out of the bottom of the stand. I saw this type design on a set of Bose 901s with the wire running through the chrome stands and thought is was the coolest thing. Each speaker will be attached to it's stand with 4 8/32 machine screws to keep it in place. I still need to glue up the remaining boxes, but I did finish sand the MTMs today getting ready for veneer.

"A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
    The Roxster
    Swopes 5.0
    Acoustic Panels
    Living Room Make Over

Comment

Very cool build thread, nice laboratory.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

wow, i love the stands. looking awsome

Comment

Some good stuff happened today. The wiring for the MTMs is done, it is meant to be permanent and travels in the corners and underneath the foam. The wire from the inputs to the crossover is 14GA and the wire from the crossover to the speakers is 16GA. The acoustic foam is in and all glued up. I found it a lot easier to install the foam and get the wiring done with the back of the box off as the backs were the last to go on.

The speaker spikes are also installed on the bottoms of the stands but they are not tall enough, I have part #240-668. I need part #240-678. They just sink into the carpet and don't really do what they are supposed to do. It leaves the base of the stand resting on top of the carpet and no room for the speaker wire to exit. But they still look cool mounted up with the countersunk threaded inserts.

Next up is the Dynalite. The bottom and tops all need to be squared up and block sanded for the veneer. There are some holes to fill as well. I am still pretty nervous about the veneer. The cost vs opportunity for error has me putting it off to the very end. I have seen so many forum members turn out some great projects so i will have to use those as inspiration.

"A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
          The Roxster
          Swopes 5.0
          Acoustic Panels
          Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by tashspop View Post
            wow, i love the stands. looking awsome
            Thanks. I tried to keep them as simple as possible but have a little design to them. I really like using hardwood on anything that I can. This is my first time to using walnut and it took a good hour sorting through 4/4 rough lumber to find some good pieces that matched in color. It is hard to believe that a rough board when planed cut and sanded can look that good. I just wish it was more feasible to make speaker enclosures out of solid hardwood.

The Madeleine
            The Roxster
            Swopes 5.0
            Acoustic Panels
            Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
              Thanks. I tried to keep them as simple as possible but have a little design to them. I really like using hardwood on anything that I can. This is my first time to using walnut and it took a good hour sorting through 4/4 rough lumber to find some good pieces that matched in color. It is hard to believe that a rough board when planed cut and sanded can look that good. I just wish it was more feasible to make speaker enclosures out of solid hardwood.
              Out of ignorance I ask; what makes it not feasible? Is it a cost matter or something inherent in solid wood which makes it more difficult to deal with?

Comment

Originally posted by Ithaca View Post
                Out of ignorance I ask; what makes it not feasible? Is it a cost matter or something inherent in solid wood which makes it more difficult to deal with?
                Solid hardwood will expand and contract. Each species of wood resonates differently. MDF is dead. I have made a few enclosures out of hardwood and I know what the end result could be. But, I am OK with that. There are some of folks that build out of solid wood and those enclosures look really good and for small enclosures it might not be too bad of an idea. Just not the best or optimal material.

The Madeleine
                The Roxster
                Swopes 5.0
                Acoustic Panels
                Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Ithaca View Post
                  Speaker cabinets are meant to be very inert, and usually are very well glued and braced. This works against the natural tendency of hardwood to expand and contract with changes in the weather. Speaking from personal experience: if the wood wants to move but is too firmly attached to other pieces, it will split. :(
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Thanks to you both. The explanations make perfect sense.

Comment

I got an hour free this evening and started work on squaring up the boxes. The TMs had a slight slope on each side and needed the corners squared up. I also got the center channel sanded and squared as well. I am expecting the veneer to arrive Thursday and hope to start that process this weekend.

The Madeleine
                      The Roxster
                      Swopes 5.0
                      Acoustic Panels
                      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Isn't Bondo wonderful?? Awesome thread. Keep up the great work Gordy!!
                        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

UPS arrived today with much needed supplies for the weekend, 64sqft of walnut veneer, 2 new sets of speaker spikes and the missing capacitor. I have a Dewalt 611 router arriving tomorrow along with a new 1/2" flush cut bit and a non-marring bearing. This will be a veneer only router. I also got the dust collection attachment and I am interested to see how well it works.

The Madeleine
                          The Roxster
                          Swopes 5.0
                          Acoustic Panels
                          Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                            Isn't Bondo wonderful?? Awesome thread. Keep up the great work Gordy!!
                            Thanks! I have used bondo for more purposes than its original stated purpose. It is wonder putty.

The Madeleine
                            The Roxster
                            Swopes 5.0
                            Acoustic Panels
                            Living Room Make Over

Comment

what method are you using to attach the veneer?

Comment

Originally posted by tashspop View Post
                                what method are you using to attach the veneer?
                                I plan on using a gel based contact cement with a roller and some clamps.

The router and accessories arrived today so I should have everything I need for the weekend. I purchased 4 boxes of veneer but the Swopes and easily be done in 3 and I actually used 2 2/3 sheets. I was able to layout all the pieces and get them cut out each with a 1/4" overhang. I am still pretty nervous about the process. I have watched probably too many how-to videos and think I have it down. Hopefully there will be some progress pics to post tomorrow night.

The Madeleine
                                The Roxster
                                Swopes 5.0
                                Acoustic Panels
                                Living Room Make Over

Comment

Working...
                                X