X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkeane1259
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Mar 2011

Re: Helium - a true micromonitor

I can vouch for the Lepai 7498 insofar as it's ability to deliver a good amount of clean power. That little bugger packs some punch. However, if you go that route, don't be sold on the bluetooth functionality. That's a not-so-good quality of an otherwise very nice amp. Direct connections to that amp are very good. Bluetooth is a noticeable downgrade in quality.
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
    [SIZE="1"]
    Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• scottsehlin
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by corradizo
      Those look great!!! I am excited to say i'm ordering the parts for these today. This will be my first speaker build that isn't a subwoofer. I was trying to decide between these and a version of the Overnight Sensations to use as TV speakers in my bedroom. We are just using the TV's built in garbage speakers right now. Having never heard either speaker, i can only gather that the OS would be full range due to the larger cabinet size (i was thinking 14"Tall x 6"Wide x 5" Deep on the OS on-walls...may still build them for the basement as 26x6x5 mtm's) and the Heliums would need a sub as they reach down to 80hz. I'm going to try them without a sub for a while and see how they do. I was going to order a Lepai 2020 amp with them and plug it into the TV's headphone jack, will that little guy provide enough power to get the Helium's to reasonable listening levels if the bed will be about 12' away? Should i look instead to an entry level stereo receiver?

thanks!

Pete
      I definitely agree that an entry level receiver would be a better choice. If your budget extends to about $100, and you want to stay with the mini-amp format, the Lepai 7498 or Dayton DTA-120 would do the job. If you want to stay lower in cost, you can search that online auction site for tpa3116 and come up with some good inexpensive amps from offshore sources. You should do your homework on those to make sure you are buying from a reputable seller, of course. Or, you can build your own using the Yuan Jing amp boards PE carries...
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• corradizo
        Been Around Awhile
        • Jan 2014

Thanks, those are interesting options. I've never thought about assembling my own amp. Do any of those support a subwoofer pre-out? I'd like the flexibility to add a diy sub. Also, what is the sensitivity of the Helium's? I probably really only need a few watts as we only watch TV in the bedroom when the kids are sleeping so we wouldn't really play it loud.... although I'd try :-) I can't wait for my pe order to arrive!!!

Comment

• bkeane1259
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Mar 2011

Thanks, those are interesting options. I've never thought about assembling my own amp. Do any of those support a subwoofer pre-out? I'd like the flexibility to add a diy sub. Also, what is the sensitivity of the Helium's? I probably really only need a few watts as we only watch TV in the bedroom when the kids are sleeping so we wouldn't really play it loud.... although I'd try :-) I can't wait for my pe order to arrive!!!
          You'll be lucky if the Helium is 80db sensitive, which is extremely low. Here's an example of the SPL you'd get with a low power amp like the popular Lepai TA2020 which is 8w/channel. I think you said your bed was like 12' away. The SPL at a full 8 watt input will be around 71db, which is low. Conversely, if you use an amp like the DTA120, you will realize listening position SPL of around 80db, which is much better. Also consider that with "a few watts" you have zero headroom and therefore the dynamics will be flat if you ever watch a movie for example. Just some food for thought. Personally, I'd never run this particular speaker with a low power amp. Look for something in the 50w range and you'll be ok.

If you build a DIY sub with a plate amp that accepts high-level inputs, you can pretty much hook it up to any main amp. I've built several 2.1 systems using the Lepai TA2020 and a Dayton SA25 or SA70. No problem there. If you end up buying a used HT receiver, you'll probably already have a dedicated LFE output, so you'd be set (you could use any amp for the sub). That's another reason to seek a "receiver" for your amplification. Good luck.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
          [SIZE="1"]
          Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• scottsehlin
            • Oct 2005

Sensitivity is pretty low, as Bryan mentions. They are right around 79 dB. I was targeting about the same power Bryan recommends - around 50W. The good thing about the Heliums is that they can comfortably handle that power.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• corradizo
              Been Around Awhile
              • Jan 2014

I'm looking at eBay for used receivers. In the meantime I have an old stereo/tape/CD all in one thingie I'll try. It looks like pe is out of this cap https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...citor--027-414 and the 39 ohm resistor. Should I ask them to send me a different cap?

Comment

• scottsehlin
                • Oct 2005

The other 2 uF caps would work, but would be more expensive. That particular value is pretty sensitive, so I would not advise substituting 1.8 uF or 2.2 uF. The happy zone is about 1.9 to 2.1

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• corradizo
                  Been Around Awhile
                  • Jan 2014

Thanks Scott, everything showed up today so I'm excited to get started. Can I use this one? https://www.parts-express.com/solen-...citor--027-534

Sorry I'm a total newb and not sure if the 250v vs. The 400v matters.

Best,

Pete

Comment

• scottsehlin
                    • Oct 2005

Thanks Scott, everything showed up today so I'm excited to get started. Can I use this one? https://www.parts-express.com/solen-...citor--027-534

Sorry I'm a total newb and not sure if the 250v vs. The 400v matters.

Best,

Pete
                    Sure, you can use that one. The voltage rating is a maximum voltage tolerance. 400V gives you more safety factor than a lower rating, but 100V would be plenty for this application.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• Herman Trivilino
                      • Sep 2010

Or you could put two of these in parallel:

Comment

• corradizo
                        Been Around Awhile
                        • Jan 2014

Thanks Herman, I called on Saturday and they said they got a large shipment in so I'm hoping to get them this week. If my caps aren't in that shipment I'll likely do two of those or the solen. Thanks!

Comment

• jcarr
                          • Mar 2015

I am interested in building a desktop monitor into Parts Express enclosure 300-7060. The outstanding candidates are the Helium, and Jeff Bagby's Quarks.

Jeff shows frequency measurements, phase curve and impedance curve in his thread. Are similar measurements available for the Helium? If possible, I would also like to see a system response curve with inverted tweeter polarity, to check the phase integration between drivers.

Many thanks in advance. jonathan

Comment

• johnnyrichards
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jcarr
                            I am interested in building a desktop monitor into Parts Express enclosure 300-7060. The outstanding candidates are the Helium, and Jeff Bagby's Quarks.

Jeff shows frequency measurements, phase curve and impedance curve in his thread. Are similar measurements available for the Helium? If possible, I would also like to see a system response curve with inverted tweeter polarity, to check the phase integration between drivers.

Many thanks in advance. jonathan
                            FWIW, I am a strong advocate of linear response and good phase integration but you can achieve that with horrible drivers and should only be considered one of the deciding factors.

That being said, I would be hard pressed to say Helium would not be a point-for-point match. Scott knows exactly what he is doing.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
                            https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
                            https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
                            https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

• djkest
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

In this case I believe the Heliums would have more bass.
                              -Dan
                              Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

• corradizo
                                Been Around Awhile
                                • Jan 2014

All of my parts are in! I have a silly question about the port. Can I get 3/4 ID PVC and cut it at a 45 deg angle and glue the pieces together? Alternatively could I use 3/4" copper pipe?

Comment

Working...