X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake
    Midrange Member
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by davidroberts
    I have read through the tread and found several mentions of a MTM version. Does anyone know if these ever came to fruition?
    I actually Pm,d  Scott this very question recently. He said he hasn't done it, and referred me to page 7 of this thread as a starting point.

Comment

• mga2009
      Been Around Awhile
      • Jul 2018

Hi,

These are 4ohm, correct?

I am looking a set of satellites/surround to use my AVR, but I need 8ohm (6ohm at best) and found these while looking for JB's Quarks.

Comment

• Jeff F.
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by mga2009
        Hi,

These are 4ohm, correct?

I am looking a set of satellites/surround to use my AVR, but I need 8ohm (6ohm at best) and found these while looking for JB's Quarks.
        The original design is 4 ohms. If you want to build the 8 ohm version see post #236. It has a revised crossover.

Comment

• scottsehlin
          • Oct 2005

Since I modeled that crossover, I voiced the Helium soundbar, which uses the 8 ohm version of the ND-91. The crossover will work for the Helium cabinet.

Designer: Scott Sehlin Project Category: Home Theater Project Level: Intermediate Project Time: 8-20 Hours Project Cost: $100 – $500 Project Description: The Helium Soundbar is a DIY soundbar…
          Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• mga2009
            Been Around Awhile
            • Jul 2018

Jeff, Scott,

Thanks for your replies.

Scott, so I just need to use the crossover design for the "Helium Soundbar" in the Helium standard cabinet. Regarding the XO, I noticed the 3 Ohm 5w resistor is no longer in stock in PE. Can I just use a 1Ohm and 2Ohm in series? Also, is there any chance to change the dimensions on the cabinet, keeping the internal volume (and the components location in the baffle)??
            I need them a little bit shallower and taller to get them behind my couch.
            Last edited by mga2009; 07-16-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• scottsehlin
              • Oct 2005

The driver spacing for the soundbar is close to the same as the original Helium, so it should work fine. The 8 ohm version of the ND-91 has a slightly larger optimal cabinet than the 4 ohm, but as a result can play a little deeper. The soundbar has isolated chambers for the left and right channel that would be 4" wide by 4.75" deep by 9" tall as stand-alone speakers. You could flip that around and make them 4" deep by 4.75" wide by 9" tall. The port for the soundbar is 3/4" schedule 40 PVC, 4 inches long.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• mga2009
                Been Around Awhile
                • Jul 2018

Originally posted by scottsehlin
                The driver spacing for the soundbar is close to the same as the original Helium, so it should work fine. The 8 ohm version of the ND-91 has a slightly larger optimal cabinet than the 4 ohm, but as a result can play a little deeper. The soundbar has isolated chambers for the left and right channel that would be 4" wide by 4.75" deep by 9" tall as stand-alone speakers. You could flip that around and make them 4" deep by 4.75" wide by 9" tall. The port for the soundbar is 3/4" schedule 40 PVC, 4 inches long.
                Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Very clear explanation.

Regarding the XO and the 3ohm resistor, I remember from school that if I install them in series they sum up the individual resistance, but I don't know if this will affect negatively on the SQ or any other spec of the speaker design.

Thanks!

Comment

• scottsehlin
                  • Oct 2005

I've only put resistors in series during prototyping, but it won't hurt anything. A 3 ohm 10 watt resistor will also work, I chose the 5 watt because it was smaller.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• howey
                    • May 2017

I'm intending to build these but to also incorporate a small sub and use the Sure electronics combination of JAB2 and JAB3 with DSP in 2.1 config to drive the whole thing. I can use the DSP to cross from sub to heliums. I'm just wondering if I need to do anything to adjust the passive crossover in the heliums to account for the DSP filtering the lowest frequencies away?

Comment

• mga2009
                      Been Around Awhile
                      • Jul 2018

Just got the drivers and now I am buying the parts for the 8ohm crossover @PE.-

Any final recommendation aimed to improve SQ is welcomed!

Picture is the ND91-8 compared to the Dayton DS135-8 for a Matt Grant's Nexus TM. ND16-FA tweeter not shown.

Comment

• scottsehlin
                        • Oct 2005

You need 4 of the 2.7uF caps. Everything else looks right.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• mga2009
                          Been Around Awhile
                          • Jul 2018

thanks scott! will add another two. regarding the port tube, can i make it in a different ID and modify the lenght? i couldnt find 19mm ID sch40 tubes in my country. regards Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Chris Roemer
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Sep 2005

sure, but you probably can't go any smaller (chuffing), and bigger will make it longer (box fitment issues - also you'll lose a little interior volume).
                            Be sure to check the tuning w/ith WinISD (or equivalent).

Comment

• mga2009
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Chris Roemer
                              sure, but you probably can't go any smaller (chuffing), and bigger will make it longer (box fitment issues - also you'll lose a little interior volume). Be sure to check the tuning w/ith WinISD (or equivalent).
                              chris, thanks for your reply. i can get 20mm tubing, which is only 1mm bigger than the 3/4 so i will make it a little bit longer. i will recheck it with winISD. my cabinet will be a bit bigger (taller) so maybe i can make a longer port and get a few hz lower? can i do that and keep the same XO and components location in the baffle? regards Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Chris Roemer
                                Obsessed & Proud of It
                                • Sep 2005

I would NOT sweat 1mm, at ALL. Proceed!

Comment

Working...