Home Theater Overhaul: JBL Pro L/C/R Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Theater Overhaul: JBL Pro L/C/R Build

The 3677 uses the 2035h and a horn and the published response doesn't show that dip- though I can't seem to find an intact datasheet for it, the second page is blank across the web!

The dip seems to be from the spacing, nothing more- a lighter cone (as in the 2035) will tend to break up earlier and I think the impedance resonances are just that. Full range drivers typically also have a lot of impedance ripple.

Also worth noting- the dual 2226h/j based cabs show the same dip.
    Last edited by badman; 01-09-2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Looking good Erin. Add a layer of Roxul to the rear, sided, top and bottom.

Comment

I've been eyeing the Seos designs w/ waveguides and pro audio drivers for my next build. Psyched on this setup!

Comment

Just go a head an buy the Beryllium diaphragms.

Comment

just go ahead and paypal me the $$$ so I can.
            ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by winslow View Post
              Just go a head an buy the Beryllium diaphragms.
              Originally posted by ErinH View Post
              just go ahead and paypal me the $$$ so I can.
              YHMV, but I didn't care for the sound of my 2446's with the OEM titanium 'phragm-- AT ALL!

I have no personal experience with any of the TruExtent Be offerings, but I can strongly recommend the Radian Al/Mylar drop-ins:

http://www.parts-express.com/radian-...8-ohm--294-726

That is, of course, if you too are dissatisfied with them stock.
              Because the MUSIC matters...

Comment

I've been chipping away at this overhaul over the past week. I've mainly been working on the amp rack, getting everything wired up and ready to go. The Helix DSP Pro is in between my Denon X4000 and the Crown amps. I wanted a cleaner setup and something that was easy to operate, so I'm using the Denon's 12v trigger to fire up the Helix which then will trigger a switched outlet to power up the Crowns. All in all, it works very well. And it looks nicer than the previous iteration:

I wired up all the front speakers tonight and set some basic crossovers with the Helix between the horns/15's. Nothing too technical, just something to allow me to get everything wired up. Everything works... enclosures are good and horns are rockin'.

But that's all just par for the course. The reason I'm updating this thread is here...

I received my Sony PJ early last week which has been sitting in the office waiting to be used and I couldn't resist the urge to throw together a temporary screen to try the 40es on tonight. I got my photo backdrop setup (haven't used it in years, but so glad I hung on to it) and clamped the spandex I'm using for my AT screen at the corners and top. Fired up the PJ with the screen about 10 ft from the PJ. Given nothing in the current setup is the same as what I had I can't really give impressions based on an apples/apples, but I can say... WOW. The PQ of the current setup is astonishing. The AT screen I'm building is made up of two layers of milliskin (thanks to the research from Adam): silver as the back layer and white matte on the front layer. I was worried about loss of brightness and overall color/blacks but that's a non-issue. I wound up pushing the screen back to about 38" from the wall which now gives me ~120" diagonal. It looks fan-freaking-tastic! So, I'll build the wall about 30-34" off the real back wall and shoot for a 120" screen. This is a good example also of how doing a temporary setup just to test screen size is a good thing. Would suck to build a screen and it not be the right size. :/

Here's a picture of my temporary rig:

and here's a cell phone picture of Frozen (as much as I've grown tired of the songs, I really do like this movie ;))

Picture of behind the screen:

The other factor here is just how GREAT it is to be able to have the speakers behind the screen. I can keep all of the speakers the same so the tonality matching is dead on, panning seems more fluid, there simply are less visual distractions. Another big factor that I didn't really think about but turned out to be sweet is I can also move the screen lower to the floor (where I used to have to keep it up a bit higher to not project on to the center channel speaker when you don't have an AT screen). It takes you from having to look up to looking directly ahead.

I'm stoked on the PJ choice as well as the decision to do this rebuild. Firing up the system, even in it's temporary state, tonight made me realize I made the right decision.

If you have the opportunity to build a projection setup I HIGHLY, HIGHLY encourage you to explore the AT screen option. I know not everyone can do this because they may not be able to build a false wall or even just cut in to drywall to use in-wall speakers, but if you can or think there's a possibility of it, I really encourage you to look in to it. Easily the best decision I've made with my setup and it's not even done. Just understand that like everything there are trade-offs to a setup like this.
                ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Glad to see you're happy with the setup. Wish I could go AT.....gotta have drop down as its in front of a fireplace.

Comment

Looks awesome! Once my HT LCD dies or I get really tired of it I'm totally going to do a projector setup.

Comment

Slowly making progress. Got the SI HT18 Stonehenge enclosures built and started on the false wall last night.

The one thing I will say is even using the Crown's crossovers to split the signal on the horns/woofer at about 561hz with the built in LR4 network... the horn setup is awesome. This thing gets very loud, to the point where it's unsafe to have so much volume potential, and sounds very clear. The images are huge, too. When you hear a voice it's as good as I've ever heard; just like you're talking to the person.

Here's a pic of the slow progress...

ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

I have been saying that ultimate SQ wasn't my primary goal here and while the look and feel of a HT trump the "gotta have better sound than everyone" mentality, there's no doubt this setup easily competes with some of the high end rigs I've heard at the shops I've visited in my travels. I'm pretty excited about the potential this thing has to be not only a really cool looking humble-home-theater, but a legitimate hi-fi reference setup as well.
                        ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

You really should go with some Aura 18's. 4 of them.

You know you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by robertmcintosh View Post
                            You really should go with some Aura 18's. 4 of them.

You know you want to.

You sonava...

Lol

Nice to see you here, my friend!
                            ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Been a while. Some time for updates...

started from the bottom...

... now we here...

The right side isn't attached to anything so I can slip behind the wall and move speakers around once I get everything set up and ready to go. After that is taken care of I'll fill in the side with grille cloth. And, yes, those are cinder blocks. EssQ cinder blocks, to be exact. ;)

As it stands, if nothing else I have to say this: listening to speakers that are completely hidden is a total trip. And this setup sounds incredible. Staging like I've never heard. I initially didn't expect this to be a 'reference', per se, but that is definitely not the case. When you sit in the chair and see a solid black wall and can pinpoint a triangle that's 10 feet behind the lead vocalist in a song with no doubt as to where the sound is coming from, that's just too cool.

The screen is up next. Then some other stuff (rear seats, ceiling treatment and dark carpet to knock down screen reflections, more subs, popcorn machine) as I get time/funds.
                              ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Awesome Erin! Looks like a great setup there. What can you tell me about the HT18 subs? They look to be very well built for the price. I will need some low end for my home setup (doing in-walls this time around to keep things clean and free up some space, but was thinking about one or two 15's/18s and putting them below the floor of the listening room in the basement to see how that might work.I was thinking either the Dayton reference 15/18's or these SI subs.

Comment

Working...
                                X