Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Selah Audio Anniversario

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
    But, this could be useful. I just wish it didn't cost so much.

Here is the Mother Load, @Wolf! I would have mentioned it sooner, since I know you've been looking for some time now (as have I, off and on), but I only just now found it.
    I did get one of the 1/2" MLCS bits on sale, apparently closeout. It's a 1/4" shaft, but does suffice. I have top-bearings I can use together with rabbet bits to do what you have pictured, but that's not really what I have in mind. A slot cutter would work as these under-rabbets will, but I still want that under-chamfer or reverse-cove.

Most of the manufacturers of these style bits are making them to be used with solid composites for under mounted sinks and what not. Freud has a large list, as does Festool, but the prices are CRAZY!

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

This is an immense amount of work! Excellent work so far. Looking forward to the finished pics.
      My Build Thread's
      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

For some reason the forum keeps failing to take any of my uploaded pics so im just adding in more progress with a shared iCloud Photo stream. Weblink can be viewed by any devices with web access.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AC5oqs3qJ5pi30

Posted my quick router jig pic. Before and after of flattening the baffles.

Also have the baffle cut/shaped/sanded on one unit. Currently just being held on by a few wooden dowels I'll be using for the glue up to keep everything aligned.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          Nothing a round-under bit can't fix....

MLCS used to have a 1/2" for $30, but it's NLA.

Later,
          Wolf
          Try Grizzly or get a Bosch from Lowes.............................

Comment

Updated the photo stream in the top post. Veneered tops and bottoms. Next up need to veneer the front baffles this week as well.

Hoping to have these completely finished in the next two weeks. Should be cutting holes this weekend then spraying lacquer the following weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazten View Post
              Top, bottom, and baffle piece all have a sandwich using 1/8" Mass Loaded Vinyl.
              Where did you buy Mass Loaded Vinyl? The only places I have found that sell small rolls still cost about $18 to ship.
              -Dan
              Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Pictures uploaded! Veneered the first baffle. Was worried about the round over as its my first veneer job but it came out great! Need to sand off excess glue and get the second one prepped tonight

Veneered the round over by making forms from expandable foam then clamping those with pressure. Worked nicely.

@djkest, ill have to look for the receipt. I was able to order it by the foot. I think like 10sq ft shipped was 15-20 bucks.

Also, my SI HT18 sub came in last week :D. That will be going in a 15-20sq ft LLT

FYI as well, the veneer softener from joethewoodworker is amazing. My raw bubinga veneer couldn't bend a 10 inch radius with crackling. After the softener the round over was total cake... To make it more extreme, the excess veneer that had to be trimmed from the sides got squished down over a sharp edge 90 degrees... With the exception of a 1" spot it made the 90 degree bend without failing. Blown away.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AC5oqs3qJ5pi30
                Last edited by Cazten; 02-18-2015, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Those are definitely coming out nicely!

Comment

All Holes cut!! Working today to do the final attachment of baffles to the speakers and these are ready to rock. I should have them playing music tomorrow morning I hope.

In the next week or so ill work to get the final gloss finish on them otherwise they are rough sanded and ready to go! Pretty excited to hear them for the first time.

Comment

Project up and running! Pics added to iCloud link in first post. They look killer and sound killer :D. Just gotta put the final clear finish on

Comment

Nice work! You should post this in my forum at Audio Circle.

Comment

Any further information on the mass-loaded vinyl? I have always liked the look of a black line at the top and bottom, like you did.
                          These are great looking speakers!

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by andykriech View Post
                            Any further information on the mass-loaded vinyl? I have always liked the look of a black line at the top and bottom, like you did.
                            These are great looking speakers!

Andy.
                            Soundproofing.org

Comment

What are the benefits of sand filling the enclosure? I have never seen this done before and was just curious.
                              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                              The Archers
                              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                              The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                                What are the benefits of sand filling the enclosure? I have never seen this done before and was just curious.
                                I believe it's supposed to help deaden any cabinet resonance. I recall Lynn Olsen using it in his Ariel design many years ago for the same reason. Looking at this project though, I'd be surprised if there was much resonance or vibration with the bracing that's being used. Beautiful project thus far - hope to see some updates soon!
                                Projects:
                                Ansonica
                                Pico Neo

Comment

Working...
                                X