X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cazten
    replied
    Re: Selah Audio Anniversario

For some reason the forum keeps failing to take any of my uploaded pics so im just adding in more progress with a shared iCloud Photo stream. Weblink can be viewed by any devices with web access.

iCloud Photo Sharing lets you share just the photos you want with just the people you choose.

Posted my quick router jig pic. Before and after of flattening the baffles.

Also have the baffle cut/shaped/sanded on one unit. Currently just being held on by a few wooden dowels I'll be using for the glue up to keep everything aligned.

Leave a comment:

• Mike220
    replied

This is an immense amount of work! Excellent work so far. Looking forward to the finished pics.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
    But, this could be useful. I just wish it didn't cost so much.

Here is the Mother Load, @Wolf! I would have mentioned it sooner, since I know you've been looking for some time now (as have I, off and on), but I only just now found it.
    I did get one of the 1/2" MLCS bits on sale, apparently closeout. It's a 1/4" shaft, but does suffice. I have top-bearings I can use together with rabbet bits to do what you have pictured, but that's not really what I have in mind. A slot cutter would work as these under-rabbets will, but I still want that under-chamfer or reverse-cove.

Most of the manufacturers of these style bits are making them to be used with solid composites for under mounted sinks and what not. Freud has a large list, as does Festool, but the prices are CRAZY!

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Nothing a round-under bit can't fix....

MLCS used to have a 1/2" for $30, but it's NLA.

Later,
    Wolf
    But, this could be useful. I just wish it didn't cost so much.

Here is the Mother Load, @Wolf! I would have mentioned it sooner, since I know you've been looking for some time now (as have I, off and on), but I only just now found it.

Leave a comment:

• Cazten
    replied

Originally posted by cacophonix
    Great build!
    The cabinet looks very similar to vapor audio cirrus black.]
    Yup I modeled it after their Sundog actually. Nice looking cabinets.

Bit more progress today. Got the baffles rough machined. Found out the front on each cabinet wasnt as flat as I thought so I had to level it with a router... And naturally found that my router jig for this had warped so I had to quickly toss together a new throw away one for just this job. Not perfect but it did the trick. Also cut the angle on the baffles to match in with the existing curvature. PE not letting me post pictures ATM for some reason so will upload later.

At this point pretty much just have to sand in the baffles to match the cabinet perfect, Veneer, and cut the speaker holes.

Leave a comment:

• Cazten
    replied

Originally posted by djkest View Post
    Looks amazing so far. I've been wanting to do a project similar to this. Translam is awesome. How did you line everything up? Most I have seen with translam use some alignment holes.
    I used a template bit with router so the peices were perfect to start with. Given that I was able to use straight peices of scrap wood with a clamp to squeeze the sides together and that kept it straight as I applied the clamps to compress top/bottom

I glued up 4 peices at a time into small stacks. Once dried and I rough sanded the glue off those I stacked those together to make the full box. So I never had to align more than a few glue joints at a time

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

Looks amazing so far. I've been wanting to do a project similar to this. Translam is awesome. How did you line everything up? Most I have seen with translam use some alignment holes.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

My new job has large tablesaws, CNC routers, and a warehouse full of MDF, particle board, hardwood veneered plywood, sweet veneers, a plethora of laminates, Corian in every flavor, and granite cut to order. I hope to take advantage of the CNC router to build a stacked cabinet similar to yours but using MDF, but go for a polished black Corian baffle with one of the more stripey veneers we have.

Looking forward to your finished product!

Leave a comment:

• Cazten
    replied

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
    Agreed. Have you made sure that the volume of the box has not radically changed (accounting for bracing, the tapered shape, and the extra thick walls)? If not you might run into some issues.
    Yes I made this up with cad software and had measurements of internal volume. This had quite a few hours of thought behind it.

Originally posted by eyekode View Post
    Man I hope you got that crossover right!! .
    Looking good!
    Rick built the x-over. I just had to zip tie it. If it's wrong I blame him :P

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
    Wow! Impressive. These must weigh a ton.
    On track for about 40lbs per speaker, without stands lol. Bricks!

As wolf posted, I'll be putting on the back woofer chamfer after I have the baffle finalized to make sure all the holes line up perfect. It's so thick I'll Likely free hand it with a 36grit spindle belt sander.

Each speaker was 24 pieces routed. Inside/out + the sand channel was probably 6+ hours per box? It certainly look me forever because I never had that much time in a single sitting. And the sanding is a nightmare. I had a bench belt sander that saved a huge amount of time for getting them rough shaped when they were stacks of 4. Then the real pain was making sure I kept the body straight in the curves. I accidentally made some dips I had to use a long block to remove.

A learning experience that's for sure!

Leave a comment:

• kbzx35
    replied

Looks like it's going to turn out nice. If you don't mind me asking, roughly how long did it take you to cut all those pieces?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    It is going to be beautiful - one observation, however, about many of the translam cabinet builds. Are the backside of the woofer through hole rounded over or beveled?
    Nothing a round-under bit can't fix....

MLCS used to have a 1/2" for $30, but it's NLA.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

It is going to be beautiful - one observation, however, about many of the translam cabinet builds. Are the backside of the woofer through hole rounded over or beveled?

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied

Wow! Impressive. These must weigh a ton.

Leave a comment:

• eyekode
    replied

Man I hope you got that crossover right!! .
    Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• NickJ
    replied

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Very ambitious.
    Agreed. Have you made sure that the volume of the box has not radically changed (accounting for bracing, the tapered shape, and the extra thick walls)? If not you might run into some issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X