• Show
Clear All

• The Texas Flood - Vifa NE180W-08 and RS28A 2-way in PE 0.5 cu. ft. Cabinet

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428460281.605539.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	1192077

So this is a project that has been done for a while and I never got around to posting it up until now. I lost some of my original data, so in the spirit of full disclosure, the HF data on the woofer is measured but the LF spliced data is from the stock graph. Anyway, these were designed and built about a year ago for a friend who is from Texas and loves Blues, hence the name.

Here is a screenshot from BoxyCad showing the baffle layout:

Name:	Cabinet.jpg
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1191885

So this is the final response and impedance if you use the attached schematic:

Name:	Texas Flood.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1191886 Click image for larger version

Name:	Imp.gif
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1191887 Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1191888

This is what I would have used if building for myself or if you have them in a normal position in the room. However, he was using them close to the walls and I let him decide what he liked best. He went with a 1.2mH inductor on the woofer instead of the 1.6mH. This basically just boosted the midrange but didn't affect summation or phase much at all. Obviously the box response isn't spliced in to the graph. The dip in the tweeter response goes away off-axis. I would set these up with offsets to the outside facing almost directly forward instead of with toe-in for best performance.

This speaker is really easy to adjust to taste. Adjusting the tweeter resistor doesn't have any affect on the shape of the curve, so easily adjust level to taste. And the inductor can be adjusted between 1.8mH and 1.0mH and still get good summation. I can't remember exactly what it was tuned (around 47hz or so) but I do remember that I used the 2" adjustable port from PE without the extension piece and I didn't cut anything off. It ended up with a slight bump in the low end response of about 2db around 55hz or so. The interior of the cab was partially lined with denim insulation.

As far as sound goes, Joeybutts and thekid have heard them in person. You can ask them what they thought, but my opinion is that the Vifa (now Tymphany) NE line are some amazing drivers. These are really low distortion and produce an incredibly clean midrange and very articulate bass. The RS28A is obviously a great value and a well known performer so I won't say much about it, but it definitely lives up to its reputation.
    Last edited by Navy Guy; 04-13-2015, 01:06 PM.
    -Kerry

Re: The Texas Flood - Vifa NE180W-08 and RS28A 2-way in PE 0.5 cu. ft. Cabinet

No pictures?:( As Chris Carter would say, "C'mon Man"
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
      No pictures?:( As Chris Carter would say, "C'mon Man"
      I only have pics of the drivers. I either lost or never took pictures of the finished speaker.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425690039.597666.jpg
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	1165339

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425690063.984922.jpg
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	1165340
      -Kerry

Comment

Wow - nice set!

thanks for posting the design (BTW, what did you use for the crossover pic?).

I've been thinking about those Vifa mid-woofers a lot lately, and now they are on sale.:eek:

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post

BTW, what did you use for the crossover pic?
          I used PowerPoint. I've used it so much I work faster in it than other programs that are better for doing schematics.
          -Kerry

Comment

beautiful set. Kerry really knocked this one out of the park. It was a bit ago but I believe they were very natural sounding with a bit of mid oomph....not artificial oomph but just a nice snappiness. I'd seriously consider building a pair if I had time and monies.
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
              I used PowerPoint. I've used it so much I work faster in it than other programs that are better for doing schematics.
              Thanks - I found a PowerPoint template on the web with common crossover symbols.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I believe these midwoofers are currently on sale.
                -Dan
                Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                  I believe these midwoofers are currently on sale.
                  Thanks! Looks like the NE180W-08 is back on sale. Unfortunately not as cheap as when I built this ($90 then) but you can get all the drivers for about $320 right now, which is about a $30-$40 savings over the normal price.
                  -Kerry

Comment

The Texas Flood - Vifa NE180W-08 and RS28A 2-way in PE 0.5 cu. ft. Cabinet

Updates for pictures my friend sent me.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428460353.955912.jpg
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1165880

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428460392.802824.jpg
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	1165881
                    -Kerry

Comment

Very nice! Love the black finish!

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                        Very nice! Love the black finish!
                        Thanks, but these weren't finished by me. They were the Parts Express premade cabinets. A little pricey compared to doing it yourself, but they save a lot of time and come out looking nice no matter what your skill level is for finishing :p
                        Last edited by Navy Guy; 11-07-2016, 06:31 PM.
                        -Kerry

Comment

The whole thing really has a professional look though, especially with your driver choice and mounting. Every time I build another speaker, the cost of premade cabs looks more and more worth it.. Better quality than I can make and waaay less time. My next couple projects are just going to be some quickies to use up some parts, and I plan to rebaffle and brace some cabs from the thrift shop. Then it is in my price category :D

Comment

Sorry for thread necromancy but I wanted to thank the author of this project, thanks Kerry, I enjoy them immensely every day.

I built them many months ago but with crossover on top of the speaker and spaghetti of cables going to speakers via port, only recently I opened them up and put crossover neatly inside. I deviated from original only regarding enclosure size, I went with 1.0cu .ft. and the box is tuned to 42Hz. They replaced Lou C. Piccolatas I have built before.

Aye aye sir Kerry :applause:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mkusan View Post
                              Sorry for thread necromancy but I wanted to thank the author of this project, thanks Kerry, I enjoy them immensely every day.

I built them many months ago but with crossover on top of the speaker and spaghetti of cables going to speakers via port, only recently I opened them up and put crossover neatly inside. I deviated from original only regarding enclosure size, I went with 1.0cu .ft. and the box is tuned to 42Hz. They replaced Lou C. Piccolatas I have built before.

Aye aye sir Kerry :applause:
                              I'm really glad you are enjoying them. IMO, the Vifa NE woofers are really impressive and the level of detail the are able to deliver is astounding. The 1 cu ft enclosure should give a very solid bottom end. My friend had WAF issues and that is why we went with the 0.5 cu ft.

What is the veneer you used on the cabinet? They look great!
                              -Kerry

Comment

Working...
                              X