Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Living Room Build Out

Originally posted by fixthedoor View Post
    Thanks for posting the details. I'm always curious how others approach built ins. Can you elaborate a little more on your paint process? i.e., did you spray the carcass and face separately and then attach? Looks like minimally a first coat was applied to the carcass without the face.

I was actually painting a mantle shelf for a friend of mine and it was going so well I decided to spray the inside of the unit to see if I could get the gun inside and get in and around the corners. It was already primed. Yes, I did then build/attach the front face frame and then primed and painted it and reshot the entire unit including the inside. This was also the time I sprayed the top. I had it down. I could not get a run to save my life.

The paint process itself was pretty simple. All surfaces were primed with Kilz Low Odor rattle can. It is an oil base and it drys fairly quickly and it is rough. You can actually build with it and after it drys, hit it with 220 grit and it is butter smooth. I used Behr Premium Oil base. 4oz of paint thinner and 18oz of paint. Stirred and mixed in a cup and poured through a filter into the cup of the gun. I used 50lbs of air and adjusted out the gun.

I have another frame to paint in the morning. This one goes above the TV in the empty spot. One this is done and mounted in, i will order the cabinet doors. I think once the cabinet doors are done and installed it will really take shape and start to look like built ins.
    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
    The Roxster
    Swopes 5.0
    Acoustic Panels
    Living Room Make Over

Comment

I was able to get more of the build out done over the last two weeks. I was able to make the face frame for the upper storage area last week and got it painted this evening. I will be ordering the cabinet doors at the end of the week. I have ideas how I am going to build out the grill but won't know until I actually get the door in hand. It will be a big job to get all 5 doors primed and painted.

"A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

Comment

So I am pretty sure I need a small sub. I don't need much so here is what I am thinking. The bottom center storage are is small but I think I can fit a slim box and driver in the space. I did find a few slim 6" powered boxes that would work in the space but who wants buy a store-bought sub? I really want just some fill for the low end and nothing more. My max measurements that the enclosure can be is 20" wide, 5-3/8" tall and 15-3/4 deep. I want to go vented and have the vent firing out the front.

This has brought me to the new Dayton Audio LW150-4 6" Low Profile Woofer. It meets the slimline needs and at .33ft3. I can do a box at 18" wide, 4.5" tall (with .85" rubber feet) and 13-1/4" deep. With 3/4" MDF this would give me the needed .33ft3. I called PE and for .33ft3 I got a port size 2" x 10.15. I intend on using Dayton SA70 for power. The driver would be down-firing and the inside of the storage are would be enclosed and I will use a cabinet front to trim out the front.

Where am I going wrong? I have to have a way to trim out the front and have a cabinet drawer front in route. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The Madeleine
        The Roxster
        Swopes 5.0
        Acoustic Panels
        Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
          So I am pretty sure I need a small sub. I don't need much so here is what I am thinking. The bottom center storage are is small but I think I can fit a slim box and driver in the space. I did find a few slim 6" powered boxes that would work in the space but who wants buy a store-bought sub? I really want just some fill for the low end and nothing more. My max measurements that the enclosure can be is 20" wide, 5-3/8" tall and 15-3/4 deep. I want to go vented and have the vent firing out the front.

This has brought me to the new Dayton Audio LW150-4 6" Low Profile Woofer. It meets the slimline needs and at .33ft3. I can do a box at 18" wide, 4.5" tall (with .85" rubber feet) and 13-1/4" deep. With 3/4" MDF this would give me the needed .33ft3. I called PE and for .33ft3 I got a port size 2" x 10.15. I intend on using Dayton SA70 for power. The driver would be down-firing and the inside of the storage are would be enclosed and I will use a cabinet front to trim out the front.

Where am I going wrong? I have to have a way to trim out the front and have a cabinet drawer front in route. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
          You'll in effect be creating a slot-loaded woofer, or something akin to a 6th order bandpass design. This is because you are placing it in that build out cabinet structure.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Great project!

Paint job looks sweet.

Comment

I understand your lack of space for a sub, but I'm not so sure the LW150 is the answer. I ran a quick SIM and it's disappointing, IMO. Specifically, the excursion graph looks problematic. It exceeds XMAX at 50w from 40Hz on down. Might be "OK" for music, but NOT for movies. It doesn't get loud either with 50w and feeding it more power will just make it poop out sooner. You will get some loading from the shelf that you're stuffing the sub cabinet into, but it just might sound more boomy that way.

Just IMHO. It's too bad you can't tap the area behind the cabinet......it looks like you have some space back there.

Here are the screen prints. Double check the input values...I did it really fast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	866.5 KB
ID:	1167561

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	561.7 KB
ID:	1167562
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                I understand your lack of space for a sub, but I'm not so sure the LW150 is the answer. I ran a quick SIM and it's disappointing, IMO. Specifically, the excursion graph looks problematic. It exceeds XMAX at 50w from 40Hz on down. Might be "OK" for music, but NOT for movies. It doesn't get loud either with 50w and feeding it more power will just make it poop out sooner. You will get some loading from the shelf that you're stuffing the sub cabinet into, but it just might sound more boomy that way.

Just IMHO. It's too bad you can't tap the area behind the cabinet......it looks like you have some space back there.

Here are the screen prints. Double check the input values...I did it really fast.

Well, that's a downer. Thanks for doing a sim on it. The back of the built in is not really an option. There is enough room. But, I will be framing out the wall to mount the TV on top of the built in. This will in effect seal the back of the built in.

I don't need a lot of bass just enough to fill where the OSs leave off. I would even be willing to do a dual small driver setup if that would work but I don't know a driver that can so that. I also am coming to the realization that my idea of putting a sub in that small area is a bust.

The Madeleine
                The Roxster
                Swopes 5.0
                Acoustic Panels
                Living Room Make Over

Comment

I'm sure someone on here smarter than me can figure it out, but can't you use the box you create with the tv build out and make some sort of bandpass box that vents down below for output?

Just thinking out loud..

Comment

The back of the built in is not really an option.
                    Too bad - I'd be utilizing the big space behind the cab instead of using a 6" driver.
                    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      Too bad - I'd be utilizing the big space behind the cab instead of using a 6" driver.

When the project is complete it will be fully enclosed and more or less sealed so it is not really an option.

The Madeleine
                      The Roxster
                      Swopes 5.0
                      Acoustic Panels
                      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Wow, looks Great!!!

Wish I was more patient and could make stuff that consistently looks that good, with not a lot of effort...:D

Comment

What about utilizing one of the large shelving areas on the left or right side?

Comment

Originally posted by fixthedoor View Post
                            What about utilizing one of the large shelving areas on the left or right side?
                            Part of the approval for the project from the wife was she gets storage...I am letting the sub thing go for now.

The Madeleine
                            The Roxster
                            Swopes 5.0
                            Acoustic Panels
                            Living Room Make Over

Comment

Gordy,

Just a thought, but what other furniture is in the room? In my last Apartment, I did not have room for the sub in the traditional locations, so I ended up making a custom coffee table with two thin mount subwoofers. Had a plate amp built in, and just ran the RCA's under the carpet and behind the baseboard moulding back to the Preamp. Have also seen people make end tables with false bottoms to hide subs. The greatest part about bass is it is omni, so provided it is tuned properly and placed appropriately in regards to walls etc, you can get the perfect sound, and not even see them.
                              "That's the difference between irony and sarcasm. Irony can be spontaneous, while sarcasm requires volition. You have to create sarcasm." CM

Comment

2 options...Build a sealed enclosure in the basement and vent into the room behind the build-out, or if your house is single story, infinate baffle subs in the attic, ventad through the ceiling?

Comment

Working...
                                X