X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• badman
    replied
    Re: Living Room Build Out

Really nice work. I'm stuck on the lack of a "proper" (I use 4 12"s so am an admitted overkill guy) sub for such a nice setup, but there's no question that the finishing is superb and very slick and stealth.

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied

Thank you Gordy. I have a space under a stairway in the family room that I think will become an equipment cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied

love it. absolutely love it. Great job and execution.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by woodwelder View Post
    I see you have switched to biscuits! Nice move!
    Yep, gave up on dowels long ago. Since I built frames for the cabinet doors I had to buy a face frame blade. It was absurdly priced but none the less needed. I had horrible issues with the online cabinet door company I used. They had to do the bottom left door 3 times. But i think it turned out pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• woodwelder
    replied

I see you have switched to biscuits! Nice move!

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

It has been a long time since I have posted. So here is an update. Lots of progress has been made. I took 3 months to get an unsquare cabinet door replaced, everything painted and installed and the below is where I am at. The wife is super happy with the way it has turned out and I have to say I am as well.

The sub worked out beautifully. I did not need a large sub. Just something to fill in the lows. The dual 4" setup and an SA70 amp is all that is needed. The amp is tucked in behind the unit out of site. The last bit of work done is to bring the depth of the space forward and provide a sturdy place to mount the TV. The TV is an older 46" Samsung that weights about 40lbs. In order to be able to get to the back, plug in the cables (only 2) and fasten the mount, I will have to have an extended articulating mount. That will be here on Tuesday along with a 10ft HDMI and power cable. Prime FTW. I framed, rocked, mudded, sanded, textured, primed and painted the wall in 24 hours. The mount will be here Tuesday so I had to hurry. The only thing left is to order the doors for the very top storage area. But, I am not in a hurry for that.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by bullittstang View Post
    Great little HT setup and very well thought out. Super nice!
    Did you use the 4-ohm or 8-ohm version of the ND105? Agree with you, they are a very potent little 4" if you don't drive them too hard.
    I used 2 8-ohm in parallel. Not driving them too hard is key. I have a 12v low pass board coming in the next few weeks and I may pair these with that and a Sure 60w mono amp. to keep the space down to a minimum.

Leave a comment:

• bullittstang
    replied

Great little HT setup and very well thought out. Super nice!
    Did you use the 4-ohm or 8-ohm version of the ND105? Agree with you, they are a very potent little 4" if you don't drive them too hard.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Long time no post. I think I have my sub issue solved. I ordered the parts last week and built the box today. What I can't believe is tomzarbo posted a sub almost identical to what I was planing. That is just awesome! I have been experimenting with the ND105 for a few weeks now in smaller enclosures but that is another story. I modeled it a few weeks ago for a potential solution for the living room. I had .60 cuft. I had a slightly different port but after reading tom's post this morning I went with his specs. Right now I have it playing via the 100w Velodyne plate amp from my HT sub.

I think I have a winner. It fills in very well and and is more that enough (sometimes too much) for the area it is in. I had not idea 2 4" woofers could do what these do. Here are a couple of pics of the finished product. I made it out of the same 3/4" baltic birch that I built the LRC with. I finally got word that the cabinet doors will here on Wednesday. I will post a few more build pics later.

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied

Some acoustic foam around the speakers (in the "slots") could be used to tune the bass to taste a bit, and if you got black, you wouldn't see it if you kept it 1" clear of the very front. Nice install!

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Beautiful work, Gordy.

Regarding the sub, would a few small (think Voxel) subs built into the ceiling work? You could use a square paintable grill to cover it.
    It may be possible to do fairly easily depending on which way your ceiling joists run.

Or possibly a few of these or something like it: http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pd...ofer--310-2022

You've got that setup looking so nice that I can understand the desire to keep it uncluttered and free of obvious "speakerage"

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• estreet
    replied

2 options...Build a sealed enclosure in the basement and vent into the room behind the build-out, or if your house is single story, infinate baffle subs in the attic, ventad through the ceiling?

Leave a comment:

• JDCrae
    replied

Gordy,

Just a thought, but what other furniture is in the room? In my last Apartment, I did not have room for the sub in the traditional locations, so I ended up making a custom coffee table with two thin mount subwoofers. Had a plate amp built in, and just ran the RCA's under the carpet and behind the baseboard moulding back to the Preamp. Have also seen people make end tables with false bottoms to hide subs. The greatest part about bass is it is omni, so provided it is tuned properly and placed appropriately in regards to walls etc, you can get the perfect sound, and not even see them.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by fixthedoor View Post
    What about utilizing one of the large shelving areas on the left or right side?
    Part of the approval for the project from the wife was she gets storage...I am letting the sub thing go for now.

Leave a comment:

• fixthedoor
    replied

What about utilizing one of the large shelving areas on the left or right side?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X