LUX 2D-1's: My first build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LUX 2D-1's: My first build.

The LUX 2D-1's are my first build. I spend 30 or so hours in penciling out the geometries and doing the math. They are two way, HiVi mid-bass and Tymphany titanium tweeters. They are crossed @ 2400Hz with a 2nd order butterworth. The cabinet structure was a bit of a trip, the mid-bass woofer sits in a hexagonal resonance chamber. The air from that chamber is compressed width wise and sent through a series of "steps" almost like a band pass, but the box is vented at the end by dual 3/4" ports. The specifics of the cabinet designs are a little fuzzy haha, I built them a year ago and all the dimensions are in a notebook somewhere. I could pull it out if I wanted to. At the time I built these I didn't know people recommended building proven designs their first time around, but I guess mine weren't a monumental screw up anyway! I personally love them, and all their little flaws. They certainly aren't perfect, but I love them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140807_22_09_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	1192525 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140903_19_13_06_Pro.jpg
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	1192526 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140803_09_21_15_Pro.jpg
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	1192527 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150710_16_25_22_Pro.jpg
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	1192528
    Attached Files

Re: LUX 2D-1's: My first build.

The attached thumbnail of the Toyota from Initial D was a test image I tried to upload because at first it wasn't working, please don't mind it. I couldn't figure out how to remove it.

Comment

The speakers look real nice. I think this design is technically a transmission line and it reminds me of an old MTM design named the Arial that had a cult following.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariel.JPG
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1167598

Comment

Something is eating your TV, sir. I would be interested in further details (if the speaker, not the scary monster)
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

The use of corrugated cardboard is unique.
          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            Something is eating your TV, sir. I would be interested in further details (if the speaker, not the scary monster)
            Yeah the exterminators wouldn't quote me, What kind of details? If you'd like graphs and frequency responses, Ill be honest, these speakers are untested. I had no money for a test mic when I built them, nor knew how to test them. Now I do, but don't have a mic. Heres a thought though: a friend of mine has an AudioTechnica condenser microphone with an availible frequency response graph, and I have a stereographic equalizer for studio/live purposes. I thought maybe I could adjust the equalizer to flatten the mics frequency response, and record that signal to my computer. Maybe? However, I do have all the design specifications in a notebook if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
              The speakers look real nice. I think this design is technically a transmission line and it reminds me of an old MTM design named the Arial that had a cult following.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59035[/ATTACH]
              Thanks for the blueprints, I'll study up on this tower a little bit. This cult seems interesting.

Comment

The mid-woofer in no longer available and the tweeter and crossover components are quite expensive. These drivers according to the author had the most flat frequency response at that time. The cabinets only were once selling for $3200, yes $3200 for cabinets only. This is an interesting project to read to see how fanatical the designer was with all of the small details.

Comment

Working...
                X