Low cost 3" line array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low cost 3" line array

I build a pair of these using GRS 3" full range speakers. Very happy with the results.
    Attached Files

Re: Low cost 3" line array

Can you give some more specifics?

I've got a big box of these GRS 3 inchers waiting for this exact kind of project.

-Don

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

The cabinets are 4"x4" 6ft long plastic fence post I bought at Home Depot for $16. I cut the post in 1/2 to make 2 36" length. The 5 inch extra on the ends is because there is top hats installed. The PE 5" metal tophat is the exact same size as the fence post. One of the speakers has a top hat on both ends so I can stack them with a piece of pipe in the middle to join. I glued a piece of 5/8" particle to the front inside of the baffle. I put 1 1/2" plywood on the ends (on the inside). No crossovers are being used, running full range. Used PL premium to glue the wood to the plastic, I sanded the plastic for better adhesion. Cabinets are sanded and painted with black semi gloss paint, rolled on with a smooth foam roller. When I get the subwoofer done I'll use the sub amp to limit the low frequency.

Also I added a brace in the middle just to firm things up a bit.

The speakers sound great to me, I plan on using them for small DJ jobs where both packing and setup space is limited.

Comment

what combination of parallel and series wiring did you use to wire the speakers?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1169491

Comment

Funny, I am working on exactly the same type of design... 5" x 5", 48" long fence post, 1/2" plywood glued to the inside baffle, top hat in the bottom... using 8 of the Celestion AN3510 3" full ranges, so I can't exactly call mine "low cost".

That looks great Johns, thanks for sharing.

Comment

I went back and forth between the 4 or 5" post. My wife had to keep on reminding me the design goal was supposed to be small! I suggest sanding the inside of the baffle for the glue to stick and use PL #3 premium. Smear the glue thin, I put a 2x4" inside and clamped it for 24 hours.

Comment

Thanks for the details!
                Looks like you've stirred up the (perennial) interest in low-cost line arrays again.
                I see a trip to HD in my near future.
                Man, I almost gave away that box of GRS 3 inch full range drivers (I've got 16 total)

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I suggest using 8 in each box and space them closer than I did, you will not be disappointed. I've had a few people listen to them and they are surprised the total cost was less than $100 for the pair, a big chunk of that was the 3 tophats. Also I put a about 1" of fiberglass on the rear, I was going to use carpet padding but I had the fiberglass. Also the harbor freight 3" hole saw cut the perfect size hole. The frame on the GRS does not give you much play room.

Comment

Originally posted by johns300800 View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]60531[/ATTACH]

Does that give you 4 ohms.
                    How low do they go.

Comment

I believe that is 6 ohms, each pair is 2 ohms and you add them up. I don't know how low, more bass then I was expecting but I plan on using with a sub.

Comment

This is another way of wiring.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The second way you drew the wiring is the safer way. If you ever blow one driver in the first arrangement, you pretty much guarantee two blown drivers, because the remaining one gets almost twice the current.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by msibilia View Post
                            The second way you drew the wiring is the safer way. If you ever blow one driver in the first arrangement, you pretty much guarantee two blown drivers, because the remaining one gets almost twice the current.

Marc
                            Incorrect! The remaining one will only see 50% more current. Since in a typical line array the individual drivers see little power compared to a typical 2-way or 3-way, the problem is small.

However in this arrangement you my not easily notice that you have a blown driver, while in the second method it becomes much more obvious. For that reason I favor the second method of wiring.
                            “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

This design may solve a problem for me...
                              To be sure, we're talking about this GRS driver:
                              http://www.parts-express.com/grs-3fr...4-ohm--292-436 ?
                              I found the fence post at Home Depot but am curious what you mean by "top hat".
                              You attached the 5/8" particle to the inside front of the post and then cut the mounting holes with the PE hole saw, correct?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X