Continuum kaboom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuum kaboom!

Starting a thread on my soon to be finished continuum 3way. It started out as a way to use up some material and drivers I had laying around and morphed into the continuum mid, tweet, and xo on top of the peerless 10sls crossed over actively on the low end. Then "the enabler" :p Jeff Bagby came out with a passive 3way addition for the continuum (also for kairos with different suggested woofer) and the CSS sdx10. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...y-Loudspeakers

Coincidentally my boxes were almost perfect volume wise which means I must try it :D

First pics are a couple I took in the beginning of the assembly stage.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131121_110851[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	1193185

I used a PE enclosure for the mid chamber.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131121_1109231.jpg
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	1193186

Tried to do too tight of radius and the veneer started to crack

Name:	IMG_20140209_1023321.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1193187

The solution

Name:	IMG_20140209_1048431.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1193188

Re: Continuum kaboom!

Some finished veneer pics.

Name:	IMG_20140219_1638221.jpg
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1170307

Name:	IMG_20140219_1637391.jpg
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1170308

Name:	IMG_20140219_1637151.jpg
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1170309

Comment

I thought I had some more finished pics but I can't find them. Guess I'll have to take more. Stay tuned for more pics in the next week or two (hopefully).

This was my first attempt at veneer BTW. Turned out pretty good. Not perfect but nothing ever is. It went fairly smooth except the round overs. I should have used a bigger radius. The veneer would bend that much but got wavy cross grain that would not stick down.

Comment

I just remembered that mid hole was originally for the tang band 4" titanium. I carefully dremoled the cutout to install the ac130fl. It is good I have very steady hands.

Comment

Was your woofer hole originally cut out for the peerless or did you make the switch before you cut the panel?

Comment

Yes it is cut for the peerless (cabs were done well before Jeff's design). I just received my sdx10s and it looks like it might be a drop in. The screw holes look very close but I will have to move some bracing before I can drop the woofer in all the way.
            Last edited by killa; 11-19-2015, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I think I am going to have to get creative with my port. If I run it straight it will only be 2" off the inside wall. Is there a rule of thumb for this? It is a 3" ID port and it doesn't seem like 2" of clearance would allow proper air flow. I think I will need to angle it a little.

Comment

These look great for a first time veneer killa! Any sane man should be proud of such a good, first time around, job. Someday Ill have the time to take on such an attempt.

PS...love your Stimpy avatar. Huge R&S fan.

Comment

Hey Killa, looks good. Anxious to see the finished product. The veneer looks very good. The baffles are cut on my continuum which is a beginning. Then I am hoping to start construction of the module using the CSS woofer to. So, I will be able to experiment with both the Continuum and the Kairos. The module will probably happen after Florida though. Always too busy ar Christmas.

Robert
                  -Robert

Comment

Really nice job! I like the faceted edges even better than the roundovers. Is that paperbacked cherry veneer? How did you apply it? The finish?

I've been working with a paperbacked hickory veneer and whenever I trim it with the router I end up with bits of the paper backing hanging on that I have to deal with. I've started just triming with an exacto knife but that's less than ideal.
                    Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
                      Really nice job! I like the faceted edges even better than the roundovers. Is that paperbacked cherry veneer? How did you apply it? The finish?

I've been working with a paperbacked hickory veneer and whenever I trim it with the router I end up with bits of the paper backing hanging on that I have to deal with. I've started just triming with an exacto knife but that's less than ideal.
                      I don't have a ton of experience w/ backed veneer but have you tried one of the veneer tape edge-trimmers? Many of the double-sides ones can be split into two pieces, so one side should be able to be used to trim a larger piece like a speaker cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post

It is bubinga paperbacked veneer applied with the iron on wood glue method. I used a razor blade to trim it real close and then a block and some sandpaper to finish it. The finish is wipe on poly satin (forgot the exact brand. I will look later).

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                          I think I am going to have to get creative with my port. If I run it straight it will only be 2" off the inside wall. Is there a rule of thumb for this? It is a 3" ID port and it doesn't seem like 2" of clearance would allow proper air flow. I think I will need to angle it a little.
                          That's a pretty tight squeeze, but should be okay. I'd suggest trying as-is and see where the tuning falls and changing if necessary. Don't glue yet, and you'll be fine (use window sealer to create an airtight seal, if needed, for testing purposes)

Alternatively, you can use a right-angle coupling, but may not find it necessary. Be sure to keep the box lining away from the vent input to prevent it being overdamped. I use 2 vents of somewhat dissimilar lengths, and line them with large open-cell foam (stuff as used in rain gutters to prevent leaf buildup) to help suppress possible vent resonances.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                            That's a pretty tight squeeze, but should be okay. I'd suggest trying as-is and see where the tuning falls and changing if necessary. Don't glue yet, and you'll be fine (use window sealer to create an airtight seal, if needed, for testing purposes)

Alternatively, you can use a right-angle coupling, but may not find it necessary. Be sure to keep the box lining away from the vent input to prevent it being overdamped. I use 2 vents of somewhat dissimilar lengths, and line them with large open-cell foam (stuff as used in rain gutters to prevent leaf buildup) to help suppress possible vent resonances.
                            Very cool, i love the concept.. universal 3 way design..

Comment

Progress?
                              -Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X