Dual Opposed RSS265HO-44 Subwoofer Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Opposed RSS265HO-44 Subwoofer Design

I went ahead and tossed together a quick design for a dual-opposed box featuring the RSS265HO-44 which I've had on the shelf for the last year due to a project that fell through. Figured I'd toss it up here for a sanity check before going ahead and building it.

There will be dowel bracing that I didn't include in the box design. The goal was as simple of a box as possible, as well as a relatively small form factor to be placed behind my couch.

Let me know what you think!

Forgot one of the images. The main Unibox Page.

Comment

Make the box a little smaller and see if you can get F3 down to 40 hz and Qtc around .7. There is so much at 40 hz, you really can't short changed it.
      -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
      My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
      The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
        Make the box a little smaller and see if you can get F3 down to 40 hz and Qtc around .7. There is so much at 40 hz, you really can't short changed it.

I've got it simulated with heavy fill in the box, by simply adjusting the amount of fill I'm able to get from .740 QTC with no fill to .648 with heavy fill.
        Making the box smaller raises my F3, not sure what you meant there.

Comment

Hmmm.... I guess you are right. My mistake. Lower Qtc and lower F3. You would need to port it to get a lower F3.
          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Make it out of a section of sonotube with plywood or MDF end caps, and you won't need any bracing. Simplest enclosure of all. A cylinder is much better than a box.
            Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Looks good, what's the plan for bracing?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                Looks good, what's the plan for bracing?
                Current plan is to do some of the dowel-style bracing with some leftover plywood, probably crosses. Not 100% sure till I get to building it.

Comment

Fancy view with bracing. Not too technical, but should be sturdy. Box is fairly small, so it shouldn't take too much to keep it quiet.

Comment

That F3/Qtc combo should line up perfectly with your room gain. I'm a big fan of that alignment. Should sound sweet and you've got plenty of air movement capability.

In terms of bracing, this design is uniquely suited to adding a solid panel right in the middle of the enclosure. This is not only the best brace possible, but it raises the frequency of the longest possible standing wave to well above the woofers' passband.

Dan
                    The Hurricanes
                    The Baronettes
                    Conneccentric
                    UX3

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post
                      That F3/Qtc combo should line up perfectly with your room gain. I'm a big fan of that alignment. Should sound sweet and you've got plenty of air movement capability.

In terms of bracing, this design is uniquely suited to adding a solid panel right in the middle of the enclosure. This is not only the best brace possible, but it raises the frequency of the longest possible standing wave to well above the woofers' passband.

Dan

I may have to try the solid dividing panel. Only reason I hesitate to do that is because this may one day get a plate amp installed, in which case the solid panel would present an issue for the rennovation. The longest internal distance being ~22" lines up with a wavelength of 608hz, so it shouldn't be an issue I hope when crossed at or below 120hz.

Comment

A majority of the box is now done, just need to wire it up to test it out, haven't painted it yet but that will require some outside area prep which I can't do at the moment. I will upload pictures here soon of how it turned out.

Question: I'm out of my old standby Mattress Topper as box stuffing. If I'm going to make a trip to the store to purchase a new material, is my money better spent on mattress topper or polyester pillows? It shouldn't take too much material to stuff this box I think.

Comment

Skip both mattress topper and polyester pillows- the best stuff to use is "Ultratouch" which is carried at some home improvement/construction stores (you'll want to confirm that they have it before making the drive though). It's a fiberglass alternative, and just as effective, without the itchies.

Comment

Well, I got the box assembled for now, no stuffing quite yet. Was having some fun breaking it in and testing the limits, tripped a breaker and can't reset it till the morning (long story). For the time I used it I was very, very impressed with how dead the cabinet was for the amount of bracing in there. It had no desire to move about at all, even though I was testing it without the carpet spikes down. Quite a nice change of pace from the 15" down firing which likes to take a walk during heavy passages.

Comment

Nice. I like those carpet spikes

Comment

Working...
                              X