Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhollander
    replied
    I've never heard of using a distortion measurement to determine your box tuning. I suppose it possible with reduce cone movement at Fb. A nearfield FR or impedance sweep seems cleaner.

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    much happier ... the distortion i believe came from the tweet screen , it was the one that hit the ground after falling off the stand . i measured it but never thought to look at distortion ...

tweet axis 4ft , 1/12th smooth ...

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    i can hear the difference , there more low end now FR coming up .

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Huh, where are you seeing that? The graph looks like in room response.

look at the THD at 2800 ... yeah FR is room response but even when i shot the measurement it said usable from -6db at 56hz .

i forgot the caulk , but just got done replacing the weatherstrip and longer screws for a better bite . getting ready now to shot another measurement .

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Huh, where are you seeing that? The graph looks like in room response.

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    the graph above is tell me i got a lil more work on this ! i was really disappointed seeing an f3 of 60hz ... i think i have an extremely leaky box . on the way home today i'm gonna get better weatherstrip , longer screws and some caulk . hopefully that will address the leaks and get me closer to the 40hz i was shooting for ... also i think i may have broke a solder joint loose when removing the XO from my surround , that peak in distortion at 2800 should not be there ...

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    tweet axis from 4ft , 1/12 smooth ...

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    first track up sounds really nice ...

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    Phew !!! getting measuring gear out now ...

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    a few more things of note . i thought i had some 1/4" weatherstripping , i do not . think i'm gonna cut this 1/2" in half . i also just realized i forgot to order binding posts ...

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Just curious, how do plan to cut the slot. I've never done. The first thing that comes to mine is: small rough in the baffle, mount the baffle, then an appropriate router bit's bearing using the enclosures slot to guide the finished baffle cut.
    well i still couldn't find find my jig saw and all my router bits except the ones in my routers are in a tool bag at work . UHG !!! so i laid it out in pencil and free handed it with a double flute bit . it got the job done though i don'tr recommend it and will have a better way when i do the two 3 way baffles . i am really glad this is just a test baffle as i've learned a few things for when i do the 3 way s ... i'm now moving indoors for the rest ...

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    just for clarification guys i'm only gonna build one 2 way RS180P/28F , i've already designed this speaker as a surround and they are fantastic as i meant them to be , on wall sealed no extension . i have six 8's and two 12's producing low end in my system . i just wanted to see if i can make these better while i also make a small 3 way witch will replace the ONS that i currently run with my boombox . all really learning and more experience for this noob .... after i figure it out sonically , i will then turn my attentions on how to finish a speaker, cause as of now i barely have a clue ....

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    so nice to have a good reference speaker to listen to when in the middle of a build . if i've nothing else right the " Paper Towers " rock !!!!

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Drill a hole then spiral flush cut bottom bearing router bit. If you are good with a jigsaw you can do a rough cut then finish with a traditional flush cutting bit. Add a round over and you are done...

was planning a 1/2" roundover when done and why i liked drilling the corners . i'm spent and have started with the adult beverages so no more power tools !!!! i'l get the 2 way done tomorrow for a listen and the 3 way parts i'm waiting on are scheduled for tuesday delivery ....

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Drill a hole then spiral flush cut bottom bearing router bit. If you are good with a jigsaw you can do a rough cut then finish with a traditional flush cutting bit. Add a round over and you are done...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X