• Show
Clear All
  • WernerM
    Seasoned Veteran
    • May 2012

Only have 4 words... "Dude, you got skills!" 😉😃
    HAGD,
    Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

• JavadS
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Feb 2016

Nice work Kevin! I own 4 CNC machines and now I'm thinking they should all be making speakers all day, great to see you using the tools so well, thanks for the update. Javad
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• Pallas
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Apr 2011

Wow. I think you build speakers faster than I can even think about them. Beautiful work and interesting concept. One thing that could help stabilize a tall thin cabinet are dual-opposed subwoofers with big heavy motors near the floor on the sides.
        --
        "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

• Kevin K.
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by WernerM
          Only have 4 words... "Dude, you got skills!" 😉😃
          Thanks Werner!
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
          The Archers
          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
          The Gandalf's

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JavadS
            Nice work Kevin! I own 4 CNC machines and now I'm thinking they should all be making speakers all day, great to see you using the tools so well, thanks for the update. Javad
            Thanks Javad. Do you own a cabinet shop? 4 CNC's, you must me doing something right.
            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            The Archers
            The Gandalf's

Comment

• Kevin K.
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Pallas
              Wow. I think you build speakers faster than I can even think about them. Beautiful work and interesting concept. One thing that could help stabilize a tall thin cabinet are dual-opposed subwoofers with big heavy motors near the floor on the sides.
              The thought had crossed my mind.
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              The Archers
              The Gandalf's

Comment

• JavadS
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Kevin K.
                Thanks Javad. Do you own a cabinet shop? 4 CNC's, you must me doing something right.
                Hey Kevin we manufacture performance automotive products (034Motorsport.com) so they're all cutting metal, but I have been researching CNC routers, the thought of loading a file and cutting virtually anything I can imagine (as you've been doing) is so tempting. Javad
                --
                Javad Shadzi
                Bay Area, CA

Comment

• xsundown
                  Midrange Member
                  • May 2013

Were those cutouts made on a CNC? They're sooooo perfect.

Comment

• Kevin K.
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JavadS
                    Hey Kevin we manufacture performance automotive products (034Motorsport.com) so they're all cutting metal, but I have been researching CNC routers, the thought of loading a file and cutting virtually anything I can imagine (as you've been doing) is so tempting. Javad
                    Good luck on your research Javad, I have a feeling there will be a new CNC in your shop somewhere in the near future. Nice website by the way. Is CariD one of your customers?

Originally posted by xsundown
                    Were those cutouts made on a CNC? They're sooooo perfect.
                    Yes, it's all cut on the CNC. The model was created in an old CAD software I have on my laptop and then programmed to be trimmed on the CNC with MasterCam 10. It was all cut on a DMS router.
                    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                    The Archers
                    The Gandalf's

Comment

• JavadS
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Feb 2016

Good luck on your research Javad, I have a feeling there will be a new CNC in your shop somewhere in the near future. Nice website by the way. Is CariD one of your customers?
                      Hah yea, now I just need to justify the space and expense with a revenue stream! And they are not but they should be, hadn't heard of them, thanks Kevin!

Javad
                      --
                      Javad Shadzi
                      Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Kevin K.
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Sep 2014

Time for some long overdue updates. The following pics are of the "full scale" versions. There have been a few small changes, mainly to the interior and how it was sub-divided.

After the spine and a couple of the ribs were cut, the first part to be glued and attached was the back panel. It's official, I have a new favorite clamp! Picked these up at Home Depot, about 15 bucks a pop, but worth every penny if you ask me. The red buttons are quick releases that allow you to adjust the clamps very quickly to the size you like, a very cool feature compared to the old fashion way of having to do it. Another nice feature on these clamps is the grip handle will actually break over 90 degrees if you really need to put some torque on em. Sorry I didn't capture that feature in this pic. Anyway, I needed the extra throat clearance these clamps offered to squeeze the back panel down to the spine. Worked great!

This pic was right after all of the ribs were cut and glued to the spine and back. Forgot to mention everything in the enclosure is 1/2" MDF except the spine and base, those are out of 3/4".

Here you can see the internal changes I was talking about earlier. In the previous enclosure, the subdivision was a flat front panel with two sidewalls that went back to the back panel and kissed off. After looking at that a little harder, I decided that was probably not going to be very friendly for the back waves and might create problems. This led to the redesign with the panels angled at 22.5 degrees from the center. At least this way, the back wave isn't being redirected right straight back at the woofers.

This photo show the lower divider in it's natural state, flat. I attempted to flex these into place but they were not having it. Ended up taking them back to the machine to cut grooves in the back of them to allow them to flex a little easier. The next couple of photos show the results.

Will probably back fill the grooves with an fiberglass epoxy resin before closing up the enclosures.

So here they are standing up on there own for the first time. The upper dividers are more of the same, so I didn't see the point to adding pictures for those. This pic was when they had the 1/2" bases, they have since been upgraded to 3/4".

Changed the base to 3/4" cause I didn't like how easily the base could flex after I cut the access hole in it. It's a fairly large access hole and I'm thinking about just leaving it open, makes these puppies a lot easier to carry that way.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        The Archers
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

• Kevin K.
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Sep 2014

And here is this weekends progress:

Made a decision (really hard for me when it comes to veneer, I like em all) and the baffles will be out of Karelian Birch, rest of the enclosure will be Quartersawn Sapele. Ordered enough for the entire 7.1 system when ever I decide to make the rest to accompany these arrays. Glued the birch to the mdf and cut the two baffles this weekend. Really happy with em. Here is one of them laying on top of the Sapele Veneer.

This is one of the cut outs from the baffle with Boiled Linseed Oil on it. May pick up some Tung Oil this week and try that also.

Ok, last pic for the evening. This is where I left off. Got most of the 3/4" three layer damping foam cut and started one of the harnesses. Ran out of time, still have two more tweeter sections of the harness to go to complete the first harness. Then on to the second.

Hope you guys enjoy the updates. Not gonna lie, these things have eaten my sack lunch more than once. Progress seems so slow and for the longest the tunnel just looked pitch black to me. After this weekend, I think I might have spotted a little light at the end of the tunnel and have a renewed energy towards em. Still several more weekends of work to go, but I do feel a little closer to the finish than the start now.
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          The Archers
                          The Gandalf's

Comment

• tomzarbo
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jan 2006

This is probably one of the most incredible build logs I've ever seen. These things are going to be killer.
                            Incredible man.

TomZ
                            Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Navy Guy
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Feb 2013

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!
                              -Kerry

Comment

• r-carpenter
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Aug 2008

Karelian Birch,
                                MMMMM great choice!
                                Rotary cut variety of a norther birch. Only grows in some parts of Finland and Karelia (Russian territory, neighboring Finland,) Very pricey. Recently allowed to be harvested again. Historically, typical for Russian furniture manufactured for royal families of 18 and early 19 century by best shops in St.Petersburg. Best example are in Pavlovsk and Hermitage museums.
                                http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...