Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Project: Arc 40 CBT Array

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Got a NEW PLAY TOY and gotta share it with you. I'm the proud new owner of a 5-channel Outlaw Amp. Rated at 120 watts into 8ohm or 180 watts into 4ohm. This thing feels like it's gonna be a BEAST!! Put it on scale, 56 lbs, no exaggeration! Couldn't help myself, had to open it and see what it had inside. I'm no amp guru, but it looks to be very well built. Cant wait to fire it up! For now, I will be using an old Onkyo Receiver as the pre-amp. The HDMI video went out on it but otherwise it still works fine. Will upgrade and order the Outlaw Pre-Amp when I order the next Outlaw Amp to complete a 5.1 or 7.1 system down the road.



    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

    Comment


    • #92
      I didn't get a chance yesterday to update the progress on the Arrays from this last weekend. Before I get to that, here is picture I somehow left out last week. It was the baffle being glued to the enclosure and I think the title "Got Clamps" would be appropriate.




      Didn't get as much done as I would have liked this weekend, under estimated the amount of damping material I would need and this stopped progress on the second cabinet. Only had enough damping to finish the front sidewalls on one cabinet. Ordered more today and will have to wait until later in the week before I can do the other.

      Here are the left front panels for both cabinets. Cut the lefts together out of one sheet and then cut the rights out of another, less scrap that way.



      And here is a video of the machine cutting the panels. Thought some of you might like to see her in action, it's pretty cool. I'm only using 4 out of the 5 axis's available in these cuts. She is really something to see when using all 5 axis's. Hope this link works.

      https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjq2eov8zx...Thing.mp4?dl=0

      Hand room was going to be an issue for installing the damping on these panels, so it was installed prior to gluing the panels to the enclosure.



      Here is the first cabinet with left and right front panels attached. Also crimped all of the terminals. Abandoned the ratcheting crimpers, and went back to the good ole squeeze crimpers. Serious hand cramps by the end but that's probably more related to my age than the number of terminals.



      That's it for this week fellas, thanks for looking.
      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
      The Archers
      Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
      The Gandalf's

      Comment


      • #93
        Pretty amazing of course. Several times I thought about requesting a video of that machine.

        What's the prob with the ratcheting crimper?

        I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

        High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

        Tangband W6-sub

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by donradick View Post
          Pretty amazing of course. Several times I thought about requesting a video of that machine.

          What's the prob with the ratcheting crimper?
          Not sure what was causing it but I could pull on the terminals on some and they were fine and then pull on others and they were loose. All of the wire came from PE and it was all 16 gauge, but it was from a couple of different manufacturers. Maybe my crimpers are just worn out, they were used a long time ago in a business.
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
          The Archers
          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
          The Gandalf's

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

            Not sure what was causing it but I could pull on the terminals on some and they were fine and then pull on others and they were loose. All of the wire came from PE and it was all 16 gauge, but it was from a couple of different manufacturers. Maybe my crimpers are just worn out, they were used a long time ago in a business.

            Yeah, I'm sort of giving up on spade terminals for speakers. First, there is the problem of getting a solid crimp on the wire, then
            I have to fiddle around with getting a good connection on the speaker terminals, which sometimes is a real problem.

            I'm trying barrel terminals these days between the driver and crossover, with a solder-on "tail" on the driver. The barrels are made for each other, so I just need to worry about a good crimp to the wire and I"m good to go.

            BTW, that Outlaw 5 channel is awesome!

            I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

            High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

            Tangband W6-sub

            Comment


            • #96
              These aren't going to be ported, are they? If not, I'd also recommend some denim insulation in the cab as well to help further reduce the back wave/standing waves.
              -Kerry

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by donradick View Post


                Yeah, I'm sort of giving up on spade terminals for speakers. First, there is the problem of getting a solid crimp on the wire, then
                I have to fiddle around with getting a good connection on the speaker terminals, which sometimes is a real problem.

                I'm trying barrel terminals these days between the driver and crossover, with a solder-on "tail" on the driver. The barrels are made for each other, so I just need to worry about a good crimp to the wire and I"m good to go.

                BTW, that Outlaw 5 channel is awesome!
                I really prefer to solder wires to the drivers also Don, it's pretty much bullet proof that way. In this case, that would have been a lot of soldering in close proximity to the Karelian Birch and it just didn't seem like a good idea, especially with my luck. The crimp on terminals I sourced fit the speaker terminals great so it was just a matter of getting a good crimp on the wires after that. Thanks for the kudo's on the Outlaw, looking forward to firing it up and seeing what it's capable of.
                My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                The Archers
                Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                The Gandalf's

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                  These aren't going to be ported, are they? If not, I'd also recommend some denim insulation in the cab as well to help further reduce the back wave/standing waves.
                  No, they are sealed Kerry. I already purchased 3 bags of Acousta-Stuf for the project. Do you think the denim works better or is it a price thing?
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                  The Archers
                  Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                  The Gandalf's

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Denim insulation works as well or better, is typically cheaper, and can be glued in place so it's what I typically go for. If you have the Acousta-Stuff already, don't worry about changing.
                    -Kerry

                    Comment


                    • I gotta ask-
                      Are you planning woofers for all of that rear-volume you have there? Seems to me a pair of 8" subs and a plate amp might fit back there.
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                      *InDIYana event website*

                      Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

                      My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                      Comment


                      • what did you use for the damping pads and how did you cut the angles on those? Can we borrow your cnc???

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          I gotta ask-
                          Are you planning woofers for all of that rear-volume you have there? Seems to me a pair of 8" subs and a plate amp might fit back there.
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          It crossed my mind early on Ben and it is a lot of wasted space, but necessary for stability. For now the plan is separate subs, probably 15's, and two of them. This will give me the ability to find the best room placement for em.
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                          The Archers
                          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                          The Gandalf's

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                            what did you use for the damping pads and how did you cut the angles on those?

                            Here's the link to the damping: http://www.parts-express.com/sonic-b...-x-24--260-530

                            And earlier in the thread I discussed cutting the angles with a band saw, works great! http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...82#post1302682


                            Can we borrow your cnc???
                            Are you gonna bring it back when you're done with it?
                            Last edited by Kevin K.; 10-19-2016, 09:08 PM.
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                            The Archers
                            Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                            The Gandalf's

                            Comment


                            • Thanks Kevin, now that you mention it, I did remember reading about the band saw. It looks very neat on the panels....

                              Hmm, let's see what else can you do with a 5axis CNC router, after the boxes are done....

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                                And here is a video of the machine cutting the panels. Thought some of you might like to see her in action, it's pretty cool. I'm only using 4 out of the 5 axis's available in these cuts. She is really something to see when using all 5 axis's. Hope this link works.

                                https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjq2eov8zx...Thing.mp4?dl=0
                                Do you have some sort of dust collection set up on the CNC?
                                See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X