The "Stance" Speaker Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Stance" Speaker Build Thread

After doing a bunch of my "own" DIY builds, I wanted to try out a few proven DIY designs out there. One, I'd like to learn from some of the best in the community and two, use these builds as a sort of reference against some of the designs I've done.

I'll be doing two simultaneously and one will be the Stance by Wolf I respect Ben's experience and knowledge and it was great to meet at MWAF, so after discussing with him more, he recommended I try these out.

I'm going to stick closely to his original design while making it my own in a few ways that shouldn't affect function. I'll be mimicking his enclosure dimensions and baffle shape as to not screw with BSC. For material I'll be using solid Maple and I'll be mass loading the side panels like Ben did but likely with a slightly different method but with the same effect. I have all parts in hand and will be assembling XO this weekend and start cutting wood next weekend, I'll be posting updates here!

Thanks! Javad
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Good choice Javad. The Stance is one of my favorite of Wolf's designs.

Dan
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

Comment

Originally posted by DanP
      Good choice Javad. The Stance is one of my favorite of Wolf's designs. Dan
      Nice Dan, glad to hear =)
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

Comment

Make sure you place the coils orthogonally on that board and not flat against each other....
        Thanks for choosing these! I hope you enjoy them!

...and thanks, Dan, for the compliment!
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Absolutely, will do Wolf
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Wolf, after screwing with the XO I'm just going this route, much easier and no need to reinvent the wheel
            --
            Javad Shadzi
            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Got a lot done today and was cutting wood, funny it's always hard making that first cut, but then once you do it's tough to stop at the end of the day! I stopped by Home Depot last night to see what they had for wood and I came across some beautiful Poplar I couldn't pass up, these pictures don't do the colors justice! I'll be using the purple wood for the baffle and top/bottom, and some lighter white/green poplar for the sides and back.

I'm mass loading the side panels with 1/2" Hardie Board, this is a cement and fiber "sheet rock" type material for waterproofing showers and bathrooms, I compared it to porcelain tiles and it is close in mass. It's quite dense and very easy to work with, you just score it with a utility knife and break it much like sheet rock. It is 74% heavier than the Poplar it is replacing, and being a hardwood the poplar is dense like Maple. Each piece I embedded weights 27 ounces or 1.7lbs, so figure this mass loading added 23 ounces over the wood it replaced, definitely significant.

The sides are made up of a 3/4" thick board, then I built a raised area using 1/2" stock where the Hardie Board was embedded, then everything is capped off with some 1/4" poplar for a final thickness of 1.5". I used PL construction adhesive to secure the Hardie board, everything else in the enclosure is glued with Titebond Premium.

The side panels are located with some dowels and I got far enough to do a try fit of the front/top/bottom and side panes and everything is coming along nicely!

More progress coming tomorrow!

Thanks, Javad
              --
              Javad Shadzi
              Bay Area, CA

Comment

Don't forget the dowel brace across the middle of the side panels. I also tied the port into the top panel and this dowel brace. The port is above the middle height mark on the rear of the cab. The xover slides in below the dowel brace to the rear of the cab.

I like the method you're using to mass-load the box. Very creative!

Later,
                Wolf
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf
                  Don't forget the dowel brace across the middle of the side panels. I also tied the port into the top panel and this dowel brace. The port is above the middle height mark on the rear of the cab. The xover slides in below the dowel brace to the rear of the cab. I like the method you're using to mass-load the box. Very creative! Later, Wolf
                  Thanks Wolf! Yes I'll be putting the brace in from the back before I finally attach the back, I'm going to tune the port to exactly 58hz too (unless you had a chance to measure yours so I can match it exactly =) ) Interesting about tying the port to the brace, I'll consider doing that or something similar *thumbsup* Javad
                  --
                  Javad Shadzi
                  Bay Area, CA

Comment

The reason for the tie-in was to brace the top panel, and the inner flare in the MDF square I used was easy to attach to both and accomplish the task.
                    Keep it up!
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Bangin! Keep rolling, I dig your styles.....
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts
                        Bangin! Keep rolling, I dig your styles.....
                        Thanks joeybutts!
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Some great progress today, got lots done! Things are coming together. Lets see, ok first thing was I needed to trim up the side panels before gluing them on to the baffle/top/bottom assembly. Since the side panels were referenced with dowels and I needed to make the back side flush to the top/bottom panels, I simply marked the back side and trimmed on the table saw until each was perfectly flush. The top/front/bottom I trim flushed with the router. Next step was to glue the panels, lots of clamps to ensure minimal gaps

Next step was to cut and glue up the two rear panel pieces, solid 1.5" of poplar

Rear panel trimmed up and doweled

Enclosure out of the clamps and trim flushed up

Rear port is 2", so I cut a 2" through hole, then out a 1/8" recess on the inside for the port tube to reference

And the flare on the outside, 1.25" radius, man this poplar cuts beautifully

Next cutting the tweeter mounting hole

And the woofer recess and hole

1/2" under round for woofer breathing, this bit makes it easy to do even with the baffle mounted

Cont...
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Testing and tuning the port, I ended up with 5" long times to 56hz, Ben Wolf calculated 58 in the original design

Ok now for some fun! The internal brace, Ben got me thinking with his "tie in the port tube to the brace and too panel, so I decided to do an internal panel that tied the sides too and bottom as well as support the port tube

So this contraption will slide in and it will all get glued in, I did some dry test fits and it all goes together perfectly

BTW am I the only one that does the robot dance when you nail a part of the project? Lots of robot dancing today in the garage! =) I also threw a tritip in the smoker for dinner

Where things left off with the back panel in place, will glue everything up next, more to come!

Thanks!
                            Javad
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Looking nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X