Aluminum Waveguide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Waveguide

I turned this on my lathe, and took some quick and dirty measurements. The measurements were just to check the waveguide behavior, not for modeling. I believe this is useable. I should tell you guys that I first made a makeshift tracing attachment so that the wg can be duplicated. Obviously I still need to back cut it, and drill it for mounting, but I haven't decided if I want to flush mount it or leave it proud of the baffle and construct the grill tight around it like a vandersteen.

Holy Cow! Is that 6" round bar? That must weigh a lot. I'm not a waveguide person yet, but that is just stinking impressive.

You really need to incorporate that chunk of aluminum into the box somehow in a way that allows it to be seen.
    Well, now that I think about it... since you're using a big 'ol chunk of aluminum instead of MDF, I suspect you must be planning on featuring it in some fashion. Duh.

Reminds me of a chunk of 3" round bar 1 1/2" thick I purchased a few years back that I am planning on machining, and using for a volume knob for a future amp build. It is pretty heavy, can't imagine how much that weighs.

Nice!

TomZ

Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Nice! What tweeter did you use? I would definitely consider flush mounting.
      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Nice job Nick, that's sweet. You're really gonna listen with the grill on so you can't see the aluminum waveguide you milled? No way. Flush mount it and let it be seen!

Dan
        The Hurricanes
        The Baronettes
        Conneccentric
        UX3

Comment

It started life as a 8" diameter 2" thick round bar, and yeah its heavy--about 7.5 lbs right now

Comment

The tweeter is a dayton rs28f

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post
              Nice job Nick, that's sweet. You're really gonna listen with the grill on so you can't see the aluminum waveguide you milled? No way. Flush mount it and let it be seen!

Dan
              Yeah I probably should flush mount it, but my thought was that it would be easy to match the grill thickness for a smooth transition. I definitely will have to think about it.

Comment

How was the tweeter attached? I would recommend a gasket between the two.
                "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Like I said quick and dirty measurement, the wave guide was just sitting on the tweeter. When finished the guide will be drilled and tapped with a very thin gasket between the two, but I really need to finish building the cabinets....I'm slow, there never seems to be enough time

Comment

Today I attended an auction of the shop tools in an OLD lathe shop. His HUGE lathe sold for $150 with all accessories. After seeing your WG, I'm thinking I should have bought it and installed it in my bedroom, since that's the only room left in my house. But, then I would have had to sleep with my wife. Turned out, I didn't needthat old lathe afterall.

Comment

First observation is that the quality of the surface is excellent!

Second observation is that the throat is too deep. The sides at the opening are almost parallel and that will cause issues with response.

I'd remove a lot of the material from the back of the guide so that the opening starts with an angle of over 90 degrees.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

That's beautiful! Makes me want to get a lathe.

With regard to mounting. I think it would be a shame to hide that big chunk of aluminum by fully flush mounting it. How about mounting it half flush mounted into the top of the woofer box with the top half sticking out, so that you can see how substantial the material is. Just a thought.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Metal working is like sailing; better to be on good terms with someone who already owns and knows how to handle a lathe or handle open water... Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

First observation is that the quality of the surface is excellent!

Second observation is that the throat is too deep. The sides at the opening are almost parallel and that will cause issues with response.

I'd remove a lot of the material from the back of the guide so that the opening starts with an angle of over 90 degrees.
                            Thanks for the info Pete. Now that I look at the picture it is deceiving, it never actually is a 90 degree angle....it starts at roughly 100 degrees and works its way out from there. If I mill off even .125 inches off of the back, the throat will be way to large. I am going to have to find some time to take measurements off axis, so that I can see what its doing. I started this whole thing using mdf blanks that glued up. Maybe I should try a shallower curve....time to glue up another mdf slab and grind a new template.

Comment

Originally posted by jml View Post
                              That's beautiful! Makes me want to get a lathe.

With regard to mounting. I think it would be a shame to hide that big chunk of aluminum by fully flush mounting it. How about mounting it half flush mounted into the top of the woofer box with the top half sticking out, so that you can see how substantial the material is. Just a thought.

Cheers!

Joe
                              Yeah I didn't think about mounting it out board until I cut the aluminum, and of course I am already neck deep in a set of curved cabinets.

Comment

Working...
                              X