Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A DIY KEF Q100 beater would be?

Hi Guys,
    I've been going wild researching and building small desktop speakers to use with my computer. I am very happy with my Overnight Sensations-Voxel system, but am always looking for more sound quality. I have 2 Tang Band W4-1320s on their way to me which I will be using in a .16CF ported cabinet. It will be fun to build and compare them with the OS, but I will be very surprised if the TBs better the OS.
    It seems like the KEF LS50 would be a fantastic speaker for my application, but it is way outside my price range. However, the highly reviewed KEF Q100 is presently on sale for $300 delivered. I tend to believe that DIY speakers can typically beat commercial ones on $ value, but wonder if that is true in this particular instance. $300 is at the very top of my budget and 12T X 7W X 11D is about as big as I can go size wise.
    I have researched at least a dozen DIY designs and the Jeff Bagby Continums are tempting, but they are $355 and an inch too wide. I haven't found anything, but wonder if there is a small, affordable co-axial driver of KEF Q100 quality or better that could be used in a DIY build. So, does anyone have any ideas about which way to go here?
    Best,
    Jay

I haven't heard it, but you are right, for the price it would be worth a listen to. The desktop speakers I am listening to right now were $350 to DIY, not counting the number of baffles I ruined.

In kit form, the Fostex full range with TL are in your price range, coaxial and worth checking out.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors. Single Driver Speaker Kits: Full Range, High Efficiency DIY Loudspeaker Kits for Speaker Builders Madisound offers a wide selection of do-it-yourself loudspeaker kits for nearly all high-fidelity applications. These are typically superior in quality than comparable consumer audio products, at a fraction of the price. We provide the drivers and assembled crossovers for a majority of published DIY speaker designs available online. Contact us directly to learn more about archived designs for which we can provide drivers and assembled crossovers. These xover designs span decades and even include many using drivers no longer available.

Comment

Another brand that does really well, with new caps, is Wharferdale's small monitors.

Comment

I'm sure there are multiple very nice designs that meet your criteria, and I don't know what the Kef speakers sound like, but a popular design in that price range is the speedsters. Not a coax but a well respected small design.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikSquires View Post
          I haven't heard it, but you are right, for the price it would be worth a listen to. The desktop speakers I am listening to right now were $350 to DIY, not counting the number of baffles I ruined.

In kit form, the Fostex full range with TL are in your price range, coaxial and worth checking out.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-speaker-kits/
          Just a friendly reminder to be careful on using links to PE competitors

Comment

I priced these things at about $200. Very well documented as Tom Z always does.

Comment

Rory's Neutrinos really impressed me. Very VERY good speakers.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                I'm sure there are multiple very nice designs that meet your criteria, and I don't know what the Kef speakers sound like, but a popular design in that price range is the speedsters. Not a coax but a well respected small design.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/speedster
                This is what I came here to post. I have both the Speedsters and the Q100 and while I really like both, I think I'd take the Speedsters over the Q100, especially for desktop use because of their size. If you've never heard ribbon tweeters before, they're a treat. Kits including knock-down cabinets are available over at DIYSoundGroup' they may come to PE at some point as well. Both good speakers though, definitely not a "wrong" choice there.

Either the Speedsters or the Q100 are a significant step up from the Overnight Sensations. I love the OS; I've built many sets as gifts and have two sets for myself. But... I think most of the other DIY designs carried by PE would be a significant step up from the OS as well - Tango, Hitmaker, Classix II. I have not personally heard them though.

Edit: If you do go with the Q100... you probably know Amazon has had them on sale for a while. But only in black I think. If you go to KEF's shop, all 3 finishes are on sale. Those white ones look so sweet. https://www.kefdirect.com/q100-books...aker-pair.html
                Last edited by JohnBooty; 11-13-2016, 06:30 PM. Reason: Added sale info

Comment

Originally posted by Drjay View Post
                  I've been going wild researching and building small desktop speakers to use with my computer ... seems like the KEF LS50 would be a fantastic speaker for my application, but it is way outside my price range. However, the highly reviewed KEF Q100 is presently on sale for $300 delivered. I tend to believe that DIY speakers can typically beat commercial ones on $ value, but wonder if that is true in this particular instance. $300 is at the very top of my budget and 12T X 7W X 11D is about as big as I can go size wise.
                  The big advantage of the coaxial midrange/tweeter is an application needing relatively good off axis performance across a broadly varied listening region. All designs include compromise in optimizations. In trade for nearer coincidence of sources, a coax introduces cavity resonance, diffraction, and poorly optimized horn loading.

Desktop monitors can be optimized for good performance in a small well defined listening region while compromising performance in other non-listening regions of the sound field. Design optimization for tightly controlled very small listening region might not point toward using a coax.

Opinions will vary on this.

Very much outside of your budget by a big multiple, Genelec has a couple of well respected monitors that use coaxial midrange/tweeter, and those have very shallow cone profile and very smooth transition to a contoured baffle, toward minimizing the aforementioned tradeoffs. So it can be done well.
                  "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                  of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                  - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                  A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                  (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

For that budget, just purchase a pair of Q100s.
                    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Face is right. It does make me wonder just how inexpensive those KEF uni-Q drivers are to manufacture though.

Comment

What are the opinions on the unusual port flare used in the KEF Q100s. Any advantage or reason for this other than cosmetics?
                        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                        The Archers
                        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                          What are the opinions on the unusual port flare used in the KEF Q100s. Any advantage or reason for this other than cosmetics?
                          How is it unusual?
                          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Maybe it's my monitor but it looks like the port is somewhat recessed in the enclosure with an S shape(best description I could think of) flare. I guess it could be a shadow in the picture, not sure.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	KEF Q100.png
Views:	883
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1306450
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                            The Archers
                            Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

It's the image. Nothing unusual about it in person.

Comment

Working...
                              X