Anarchy Woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anarchy Woofer

Of course the bass is touted as exceptional, but how good is the mid-range vs other highly rated $50 to $75 drivers, or the PE reference aluminum cones?

Rick Craig did a 2 way with the Anarchy.

Comment

Neutral midrange but needs a tweeter that can cross low if you want to use it in a 2-way.

Comment

Face (Mike B) did exactly that. He used a waveguide on the tweeter to get a low XO point. I heard it at the NYDIY this summer and it was the best pair there IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
          Face (Mike B) did exactly that. He used a waveguide on the tweeter to get a low XO point. I heard it at the NYDIY this summer and it was the best pair there IMO.
          I believe cjd did a 2.5-way with them and the big SB29. What I recall hearing was really impressive.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Hong built a Anarchy based speaker.

Muy bueno.

It pounds nicely.
            Last edited by Beau; 12-01-2016, 12:38 PM.
            Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

I believe cjd did a 2.5-way with them and the big SB29. What I recall hearing was really impressive.
              Here's CJD's Anarchy design.
              http://www.divine-audio.com/ansonica/

It won the "Design I'd like to have in my living room" at DIY Chicago 2011.

- Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
              CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

This led me to ponder a small 2 way with some great bass as well. I was going to try a on paper model using the data here: http://www.audioxpress.com/article/t...6-017r-anarchy

Think an RS28 tweet would make it low enough, with a notch on that woofer 4kHz breakup node?
                Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                Wogg Music
                Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
                  This led me to ponder a small 2 way with some great bass as well. I was going to try a on paper model using the data here: http://www.audioxpress.com/article/t...6-017r-anarchy

Think an RS28 tweet would make it low enough, with a notch on that woofer 4kHz breakup node?
                  Considering that you would cross the Anarchy no higher than 2k, probably lower and that the rs28 can handidly cross at 1500, it would work well.

The peak at 4k is easily dealt with. Probably no more than a small value cap (.33uf or so) in parallel with the woofers inductor or possibly a small value inductor (.010 or so in series with the woofers parallel cap on a 2nd order electrical filter, will tank that nicely without the need for an additional node.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
                    Hong built a Anarchy based speaker.

Muy bueno.

It pounds nicely.
                    Thanks Beau. Here's my version of the Anarchy/RS28F, a TMM 2-way. To answer your original question, the midrange is as good as anything I've heard. The system remains one of my favorite speakers, no matter which type of music you prefer.

http://projectgallery.parts-express....he-renditions/
                    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                    Sonata Soundbar Project
                    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

I've used the Anarchy in two ways to 1200hz and 1800, it sounded fine in both speakers. They sound surprisingly good in sealed .5-.7cf enclosures. If you want to use ghem ported, tune low.
                      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jclin4
                        Thank you. That consisted of a Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 behind a SEOS 8 waveguide and an Anarchy woofer in a .67cf sealed enclosure.
                        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                          I've used the Anarchy in two ways to 1200hz and 1800, it sounded fine in both speakers. They sound surprisingly good in sealed .5-.7cf enclosures. If you want to use ghem ported, tune low.

What kinda final SPL did you get after BSC?

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                            What kinda final SPL did you get after BSC?
                            Excellent question, I'm curious too. I did a paper model yesterday under a XT25TG tweeter (already had it modeled, just swapped woofer models and played with the crossover) and the SPL ends up pretty low after BSC. Of course, the FRD data I pulled from the audioexpress.com graphs stopped at 300Hz, so I'm not confident that I'm compensating correctly. It appears that it will land around 80dB/W or a little under.
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music
                            Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post

Here are the graphs from the 2-way I did using the RS28.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X