Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would flexible hose work as a speaker vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would flexible hose work as a speaker vent?

Hi Guys

The title pretty much sums it up. I am playing with the idea of putting a Tang Band 1138 SMF driver in a 7.5" (external dimensions) cube box. It would be -3 db @ 50 HZ and -6 db @ 40 with a 1.5" diameter X 12.2" port. Fitting the port inside the cabinet using PVC and elbows might be possible, but why not get some 1.5 ID semi-stiff hose like radiator hose that could be bent as needed to fit inside the cabinet?
    I am pretty sure there are problems with this idea since I have never seen it used anywhere, but am posting here to get thoughts about feasibility before I jump into trying to find a suitable hose to try.

Best Holiday wishes to All,
    Jay

Yep, that will work. JL Audio did something similar sometime ago.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I would be careful with radiator hose. When bending, it tends to collapse and not maintain the same cross sectional area. This would alter your tuning from the intended value.

Comment

You can go to an auto parts store and ask to see the hose section. Maybe there is one that might fit your needs, and has a formed bend in it.

Comment

If you're heading to the auto parts store, why not see if they have an exhaust pipe that fits your needs instead?
          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Drjay View Post
            ...putting a Tang Band 1138 SMF driver in a 7.5" (external dimensions) cube box.

...would be -3 db @ 50 HZ and -6 db @ 40 with a 1.5" diameter X 12.2" port.

...why not get some 1.5 ID semi-stiff hose like radiator hose that could be bent as needed to fit inside the cabinet?

I am pretty sure there are problems with this idea since I have never seen it used anywhere, but am posting here to get thoughts about feasibility before I jump into trying to find a suitable hose to try.
            Would it work?
            Yes.
            Would it work well?
            That depends on the details.

I think that the most important concern is that the installed tubing needs to be restrained from moving. The curved tube will want to move in reaction to motion of the air mass as it accelerates around curves in the tube. That reaction force, if it moves the tubing, would affect the motion of the air mass within the tubing, would change that motion of that air mass. So the tubing should be installed such that motion would be minimized to insignificance, perhaps potting it in adhesive or some other structurally rigid material, but the tradeoff in doing that is that the potting material will displace enclosed air reducing the net enclosed air volume.

I would suggest using slot ports, rigid, using walls of the cabinet also as walls of the ports. Configure them so that the material used to create the ports also reinforces the cabinet structure.

edit:
            "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
            of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
            - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
            A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
            (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

KEF has some type of flexible section in the middle of its port, on the LS-50, a similar idea, but made to reduce midrange colorations that resonate in the vent.

Comment

Your biggest problem is going to be termination. How will it exit the enclosure? What can you attach it to? Most glues won't stick. If you compress, the hose has to be on the outside of whatever the port is because the rubber won't keep its shape under compression.

Comment

Clever idea. For a termination point, a gutted thermostat housing comes to mind....

You get a rolled lip that can be made air tight with a hose clamp, a flat flange, and sometimes a right angle turn, all in one casting that can be sourced from a salvage yard. Look for something from a large V8 diesel to get sufficient ID.

You can put a spring in the hose to prevent it from collapsing through a bend. Alternatively, use silicon tubing which can be worked a bit.

Be sure to flush every 2 years.
                  Last edited by weinstro; 12-27-2016, 01:58 PM. Reason: fixed bad advice

Comment

Like Face mentioned, what about flexible exhaust tube from the parts store. Basically a metal version of the flexible JL plastic port of years past, as referenced by isaeagle. I would just wrap it in electrical tape to ensure it is 100 percent air tight and to help dampen it a bit.
                    Last edited by dynamo; 12-27-2016, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by weinstro View Post
                      Clever idea. For a termination point, a gutted thermostat housing comes to mind....

You get a rolled lip that can be made air tight with a hose clamp, a flat flange, and sometimes a right angle turn, all in one casting that can be sourced from a salvage yard. Look for something from a large V8 diesel to get sufficient ID.

You can put a spring in the hose to prevent it from collapsing through a bend. Alternatively, use silicon tubing which can be worked a bit.

Be sure to flush every 2 years.
                      ​Be sure to FLUSH it every 2 years????? That's funny! It took me a bit to understand what you meant about using a thermostat housing,,,, than I got it! Later, Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X