Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Famous Blue Raincoat".....sound quality??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Famous Blue Raincoat".....sound quality??

Just got this, at my local library, it is the original 80's Jennifer Warnes CD version that was so touted as having great sound quality for many years.

Now after hearing it 2 times, what am I missing? It sounds rather average to me, but not anything that special, as how I imagined it would sound.
    It sounds relatively clear and clean, but has a bit of edge to the treble, nothing fantastic in any way.
    Sort of what we call the "early digital sound". Bass is okay but nothing super deep or out of the ordinary.
    Imaging uh nice but not special.

Or has time diminished how it is viewed?

The Hunter is really good too. I really like both of them, and I don't know what you're missing.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Perhaps advancements in some 30 years since that CD have enabled most recordings to match or eclipse its quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        The Hunter is really good too. I really like both of them, and I don't know what you're missing.

Later,
        Wolf

I like the music, but was asking specifically sound wise.
        I read so much about it over the years, I expected some fantastic sound, but while its good, I guess I do not hear the "Greatness" sound quality wise.....

Comment

I don't know about that. They are VERY well recorded discs. In fact, the vinyl sounds different as well. They mastered them individually for the media used.

I've listened to them MANY times now.

Later,
          Wolf
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I always liked "The Hunter" much better, but that's the one I heard first, so . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              I don't know about that. They are VERY well recorded discs. In fact, the vinyl sounds different as well. They mastered them individually for the media used.

I've listened to them MANY times now.

Later,
              Wolf

I will give it a few more tries for sure!
              Not saying it is bad per se, but I guess maybe over hype ruined it for me?
              FYI, I find "Brothers in Arms", and "Solitude Standing" to sound both close to great, and from same time in the 80's.

Comment

Those are both good as well, but Solitude Standing isn't ranked as high on my list.
                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Famous Blue Raincoat is OK, but I too never thought is was a super great recording. Perhaps audiophiles just focused on her voice.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                    Famous Blue Raincoat is OK, but I too never thought is was a super great recording. Perhaps audiophiles just focused on her voice.

This is tough to say for sure. I mean we all focus in on different aspects of recordings. I mentioned "Brother's in Arms", and "Solitude standing", but then just realized I got them both right when they came out, so I may be biased as they were back in the day, great sounding compared to most recordings.

I have in the intervening years gotten all of Diana Kralls CDs, and find several to be excellent. Maybe my idea of excellent has changed since 30 years ago.
                    I also thought "Breakfast in America" sounded really good also!

Comment

Guys,

From an old audiophile perspective, these are the recordings used to test audio systems, not the other way around. I'd suggest you listen to these recordings on other systems that are renowned for their audio quality, then make a decision.

Yes, I have both recordings and both sound stellar.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                        Guys, From an old audiophile perspective, these are the recordings used to test audio systems, not the other way around. I'd suggest you listen to these recordings on other systems that are renowned for their audio quality, then make a decision. Yes, I have both recordings and both sound stellar. Jim
                        Could not agree more. Only other comment, if your not getting any bass, it is your system. Bass is very clean and dynamic on this recording.
                        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                          Guys,

From an old audiophile perspective, these are the recordings used to test audio systems, not the other way around. I'd suggest you listen to these recordings on other systems that are renowned for their audio quality, then make a decision.

Yes, I have both recordings and both sound stellar.

Jim

Oh jim, I get that and all, but just did not find it "Fantastic" sounding. I read about it for many many years, and while good, I did not find it "Great"

I have Diana Krall recordings that to me at least sound better.

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                            Could not agree more. Only other comment, if your not getting any bass, it is your system. Bass is very clean and dynamic on this recording.

It has good bass and all, but I just did not find it outstanding in any way.

Maybe I was expecting big 32 hz notes or sounds or something. Maybe I need to give it another spin, after my headache wears off.

Comment

Hello

I also have the original CD issue and it sounds good, apart from being a great album. However, there is a newer 'special edition' which I haven't heard which might sound better. As far as "sound" goes, The Hunter is even better IMHO with a really clear mix and well recorded instrumentation. Of course, Ms Warnes' vocals are excellent as usual.

I read somewhere that one of these albums (not sure which) was released as two 45rpm discs and sounds great, but I have no idea where to find it. Apparently Jennifer is very conscious of the sound of her records and takes a lot of trouble to make them sound good.

I must dig this out again and listen to SRV's guitar work on First We Take Manhattan - brilliant.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X