Design Team Build: The Boomsticks - 2.5 way tower with 4 x RS100-8 and ND25F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donradick
    FUN TIMES! Wow, that looks like what I've been thinking about - lots of medium size woofers in a small tower. I'm sort of leaning towards the RS paper drivers. BTW, very terrific intro to the build thread. This forum needs a little humor. re: "unobtrusive" Can't deny that many, many woman like skinny speakers.
    The paper versions would probably work equally well, just a bit less bass. But you will gain a bit more sensitivity.
    -Kerry

Comment

Glad people appreciate the Army of Darkness quote. Wasn't sure if everyone would get it.
      -Kerry

Comment

How are you going to get RS100s to hit 40Hz?

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Sketchup is the most easy to use and notuch learning curve, but falls apart for anything other than basic shapes. F360 seems to have more capability, but has a steeper learning curve. Sketchup is most frequently used, but with the option to export to dxf, it can be imported to vectric or other cad/cam program. A special add-on needs to be installed on the free sketchup for dxf support.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Later,
            Wolf
            Have rs100p-8, RS 100-4 and rs100-8s, but couldn't get anything to 40s.

Comment

Measurements, after assembly, will answer any questions.
              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

I clicked on this thread because of the AoD reference. Nice design. I assume these will be painted a circa '73 beige/puke color?

Comment

Whoa! Deja vu. I love the concept. Please carry on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287a.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1315298

Comment

What did you call those again, Richard? I can't remember the name...
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Mid 40s - MLTL ?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Later,
                        Wolf

Not 40, but 40s. I thought it was mid 40s but it's actually upper 40s. Obviously this not the most optimal alignment for flat response, but it should still sound ok and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try. I could always go back and shorten the port later if it doesn't sound OK. Here is the box model and excursion at 20 watts input power.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1315385[/ATTACH]
                        Attached Files
                        -Kerry

Comment

Interesting excursion plot - most all of my vented sims exceed xmax below Fb.
                          did you do something different to get it flat like that?

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                            Interesting excursion plot - most all of my vented sims exceed xmax below Fb.
                            did you do something different to get it flat like that?
                            I think it's just the motor on these. I've seen this on other woofers I've modeled before but it's not common. I checked to make sure I didn't have any filters on again and nothing is enabled but I didn't try any other programs. I can't get Unibox to work in my current version of Excel.
                            -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

I think it's just the motor on these. I've seen this on other woofers I've modeled before but it's not common. I checked to make sure I didn't have any filters on again and nothing is enabled but I didn't try any other programs. I can't get Unibox to work in my current version of Excel.

I couldn't stand the ambiguity, so I ran Unibox for 4 woofers, series/parallel connection.
                              Not exactly what you got, but a very,very attractive alignment.

Tuning even lower (I tried 45 Hz also) gives more of an EBS alignment, with max excursion only exceeded below about 38Hz
                              Adding 15% to published xmax (as shown below) with your tuning shows xmax exceeded only below 44 Hz.

Name:	4xRS100-8-19Liters 53Hz FB params.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1315526

Name:	4xRS100-8-19Liters 53Hz FB MAX SPL.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1315527

Name:	4xRS100-8-19Liters 53Hz FB excursion.PNG
Views:	69
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1315528

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Will be following this closely. I have been wanting to do something similar to upgrade from my Cinderella's. My thought was a 2.5 way in a MTMWWWW configuration.

Comment

Working...
                                X