No announcement yet.

Design Team Build: The Boomsticks - 2.5 way tower with 4 x RS100-8 and ND25F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure is this is allowed to ask about these PEDT designs but could this be converted to a in wall/ zero BSC XO? If This is not allowed, mods please delete.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      I would give you photo examples if photobucket was cooperating, BUT- you might have better luck tomorrow....

At my sig, projects listed on the left. Combinations listed below...

Krylon hammered black under red for my Sophomores. The black here is more of a charcoal tone. This came out blood-red, and one of my favorite finishes.
      Krylon hammered silver under blue for the Tesseracts. Metallic blue for sure here.
      Rustoleum hammered black under purple for the Xenoliths. The black is actually black for this one. This makes a rich dark purple.

You don't have to use the recommended basecoat, as the Metalcast colors lay on most any solid color underneath. The MC colors are translucent, so they take on the color tone of the color below. I've also used the Krylon Metal X red and blue, and even though they are made by the same parent company, the Duplicolor works better.

I recommend only using 2 coats of the metalcast products for coverage. If you start to lay it on thicker, it'll develop a bit of haze and the transparency will become a bit milky. I recommend using spray polycrylic or any acrylic clear over top to protect it. I would do a sample piece first to know how you want to apply it.

Do not use lacquer clear-coat if you don't want the finish to change. I applied the red on plexiglass once to make it a transparent red panel. I hit that with Minwax clear gloss lacquer to finish it, and it changed the entire surface to look very close to that of stained glass. I don't know if the effect would be different on a different substrate.
      These panels were used on the rear of the '2i' project as a xover installation door. Photos are also in the bucket.

Hope this helps,
      Wolf
      I knew you don't have to use the basecoat from Duplicolor, but I am really looking for that anodized metal look so I'll be trying that and some of the paint that is made to come out like polished chrome. I luckily saw a video online before ordering my clear coat that said these are enamel based paints. That's why the lacquer didn't work for you.
      -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by manu et deo View Post
        Not sure is this is allowed to ask about these PEDT designs but could this be converted to a in wall/ zero BSC XO? If This is not allowed, mods please delete.
        There's no reason you can't ask. They could be converted with crossover mods, but I don't have any plans to design an in-wall version.
        -Kerry

Comment

I put a coat of the metallic base down over the weekend. It has a weird texture to it as it lays down that makes it look like different shades. I'm a little worried it is gonna show through.
          -Kerry

Comment

When you say you are worried it is going to show through, are you referring to the texture? Could it be wet sanded before top coating if it's a texture problem?
            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
            The Archers
            Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
            The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
              When you say you are worried it is going to show through, are you referring to the texture? Could it be wet sanded before top coating if it's a texture problem?
              Kevin,

It's hard to explain. You know how if you are spraying gloss paint from a spray can, you can get just a bit of of the overspray causing lines in your paint making some parts look really glossy and some parts dull. It is kind of like that I think. You can see how different shades of silver are showing up in the picture. There is no texture to the paint per se. It all feels smooth. But I can't get it to be one consistent color. The Duplicolor Metalcast is semi-translucent - it acts like a pearl or candy coat - so I'm worried that the shading will show through the Metalcast coat.

Anyway, I did a couple test pieces and the orange doesn't have the look I want. The red looks good, but I shot a coat of orange over the red and that looks like the way I'll be going. Produces a nice, complex color that changes slightly based on the lighting.
              -Kerry

Comment

The beveled baffle looks very good on the tall enclosure.

Comment

Red coat on the cab. Plan on shooting the orange before bed.
                  -Kerry

Comment

Are you shooting from a can?

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101
                      Are you shooting from a can?
                      Yes
                      -Kerry

Comment

Orange and clear layer down. Used a whole can of clear on this one. Considering another whole can to get rough build for wet sanding.
                        -Kerry

Comment

Those are looking great. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Those are looking really nice Kerry!

Are you planning to polish also or just wet sand? Will the bases be the same color or a high gloss black?
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                            The Archers
                            Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K.
                              Those are looking really nice Kerry! Are you planning to polish also or just wet sand? Will the bases be the same color or a high gloss black?
                              I'll be polishing as well. Bases will be flat black.
                              -Kerry

Comment

S.E.X.A.Y.

Love it. Love love love it.
                                Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                                X