Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you design a speaker for your space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you design a speaker for your space?

Simple question? I can't seem to find the answer. I have looked at all the kits and none are just right. Some are close and some would require heavy modifications. I have always been afraid to roll my own but now might be the time. Reasonable budget but here the clincher-must be no more that 7 inch wide outside dimension and must act like an in wall. Will sit in a cubby next to a tv.

The short answer is yes, absolutely. Just find a 5 or 6" driver that will fit on your baffle, and as long as the volume remains the same, you can design the box any way you desire.
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

But that's were I get 😨 scared

Comment

A kit or existing design is rarely designed to be in wall. The XO and drivers are matched to the design's baffle dimensions. In wall approximates an infinite baffle and change the frquency response.

Having said that, designing a speaker for in wall is about the same as designing any speaker. And you'll get the benefit of the wall in the low bass frequencies and minimize baffle diffraction at the higher frequencies.

For designing a speaker, I like Response Modeler and WinPCD, both free. There are other tools that members will likely recommend as well.

Comment

I forgot your name, but don't you live around OC somewhere?

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
          Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Which combination of mid and tweeter will work best as a in wall with a box

Comment

Give us more info. What are the dimensions of the cubby holes?

And, "A picture is worth more than a thousand words."

Comment

Jeremiah and I live out in Menifee

Comment

The long answer is no! More info is needed. Height width and depth of space would help. Most designs are made to be away from the wall so the have Baffle step compensation built into the crossover. An in wall type design will not need this. If you take a speaker that is designed to be sitting on a stand and put it in the wall you will need to modify the crossover.

Edit: In the time it took me to type five answers were posted lol.

Comment

50 miles from OC. Let me know how I can help.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                    Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Comment

From the pic, it looks like the TV extends out in front of the cubby holes. That would be an issue for high frequency. Perhaps a woofer in wall with the mid/highs being a separate, slimline box in line with the TV?

Comment

I have a frame to install around the tv and I would like it and the speakers to completely finish the cubby off. Dimensions are up to 7 in wide by 33 in tall by up to 2 ft no rear ports

Comment

Aesthetically I would like a mmtmm alignment as to fill the space and some day to build a matching mtm or some in the cubby where the minimuses are. In short I want to build the baddest inwall tv speakers I can

Comment

So if I understand correctly, the TV will be in the cubby as well leaving 7" per side at 33" tall with 2' depth available. Assuming 1/2" material for the speaker enclosures' side walls, you have 6" available for the woofer.

Comment

Working...
                              X