X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
    Wow, you guys are lucky!
    Lucky, yes!
    Lucky because after decades of terrible service and being a slave to their monopoly, I FINALLY got to tell Time Warner to F off when I canceled my service. It was a beautiful moment.
    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
    MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post

Lucky, yes!
      Lucky because after decades of terrible service and being a slave to their monopoly, I FINALLY got to tell Time Warner to F off when I canceled my service. It was a beautiful moment.
      Hi Ray, I also canceled my TWC service yesterday after living with GF for a couple weeks to make sure.
      I ran into much of what you are initially. My computer's NIC was limited to 100mbs, so we went and got a new one (USB went out on it too, so a new one was needed). now we are flying, something like 700-800mbs DL and 400mbs UL or something when I last tested.
      I ended up getting them to come out again and with a SR tech to get the network straightened out (we had a lot of hardwired things that didn't work after they left the first time). Got it all square and now no more kids complaining on gaming interruptions. Still have a few spots in the house where Wi-Fi is limited, but I will try and turn on one of the other hotspots and see if that works better.
      Andy.

Comment

I'm on DSL, and get 1.3Mb and 0.34Mb respectively.
        heehee!
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Been awhile since I tested mine. This is on wifi on an older HP ProBook.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5985740777
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            heehee!
            Wolf
            Bell or AT&T?

Comment

heehee!
              Wolf
              ​That's not necessarily bad, if the ping time is low. It's not good for streaming data, but for a lot of browsing the ping time is more important. We have satellite service at our cabin, and we get ping times around 600ms. That trip to outer space and back for every request is a real drag. Makes you realize that the speed of light really isn't all that fast .
              Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                It is odd that your upload speed is a fair bit higher than download speed, but the numbers are indicative of a wifi connection.
                Fiber is generally equal up/down, while cable is generally biased for faster d/l speeds. FWIW, ours at home (AT&T) is about 400mbps up/down on a MacBook or iPhone on wifi (AT&T wifi router), and usually registers <980mbps on the hard-wired Mac mini. So I feel like we're getting what's advertised. And it's been much much more reliable than those hacks at Comcast ever were. Moreover, my bill has been the same every month, unlike with Comcast; no need to waste time demanding they remove new BS fees they seem to randomly assign to different people ever month.

Google will probably help someone out who's getting much lower rates than expected, if only to let them know where the problem is (incoming vs. router vs. computers).
                Last edited by Pallas; 01-21-2017, 06:55 PM.
                --
                "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                  Bell or AT&T?
                  AT&T is the routing company. My ISP is locl.net.

61ms for pinging Indianapolis.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
                    ... I do have the 1000 mbps or 1 gigabit service.

My desktop is on wifi at the moment with an 802.11n USB wifi adapter that is rated up to 300 mbps.

I'm considering ordering an 802.11ac dual band width adapter right now. Will this make a difference?
                    One of the good sources of information, comparisons, tests and reviews has been smallnetbuilder.com

Read the article recently posted at the link below, a review of "Untangle at Home's NG Firewall" (aka Next Generation Firewall) running on an Asus RT-AC88U. That is a router that has been modified to include a Unified Threat Management (UTM) firewall with feature set more usually found in enterpri$e grade firewall solutions.

Also... Where practicable I would suggest a wired network interconnection. Opinions vary.
                    Untangle at Home brings a full-featured UTM router within reach of consumers...
                    "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                    - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                    A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                    (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Originally posted by andykriech View Post

Hi Ray, I also canceled my TWC service yesterday.......
                      Felt great didn't it! LOL!!

Originally posted by andykriech View Post
                      I ran into much of what you are initially. My computer's NIC was limited to 100mbs, so we went and got a new one (USB went out on it too, so a new one was needed). now we are flying, something like 700-800mbs DL and 400mbs UL or something when I last tested.
                      I ended up getting them to come out again and with a SR tech to get the network straightened out (we had a lot of hardwired things that didn't work after they left the first time). Got it all square and now no more kids complaining on gaming interruptions. Still have a few spots in the house where Wi-Fi is limited, but I will try and turn on one of the other hotspots and see if that works better.
                      Andy.
                      Andy, is the 700-800 mbps through a hard wired connection? What sort of speeds are you seeing with wifi?

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
                      MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
                        ... "Untangle at Home's NG Firewall" (aka Next Generation Firewall) running on an Asus RT-AC88U ...
                        Follow up: Below is a link to instructions descibing how to install Untangle's firmware on the router.
                        "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                        of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                        - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                        A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                        (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

heehee!
                          Wolf
                          Hopefully you aren't paying too much for it, otherwise time for an upgrade. I have a friend who had pretty much the same and he was paying more for it than my Comcast/Xfinity that was 20x faster!

Comment

It does what I need it to do, and I only pay $30/month.

I am not paying for cable, Netflix, or internet-phone, etc.
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

the speed issue could be a bottleneck on your USB port, older USB ports have very little bandwidth. Try USB 3.0 or USB 3.1. Also, there is a dramatic difference between MB/s and Mb/s.

Comment

It does what I need it to do, and I only pay $30/month.

I am not paying for cable, Netflix, or internet-phone, etc.
                                Wolf
                                ​So basically you get a small Byte of the Bit pie.

Comment

Working...
                                X