Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for A bookshelf using these drivers

Hello,

I have 2 Tymphany NE180W-04 and 2 Dayton RS28A-4 and I'm interested in building a 2 way bookshelf speaker. I used the drivers to build a couple of in-wall speakers and now I want to go back to something a little more conventional that maybe sounds a bit better. I know I should go with an established design but I haven't been able to find one that includes these drivers. I would prefer to build some Continuums but I have these drivers and don't really want to drop the money on new drivers.

If there are any suggestions regarding known designs using these drivers, I'd love to know. Otherwise, if anyone would be willing to help design a crossover that could be used with these drivers, I'd be very grateful.

These speakers will be used as the front stage for a home theater setup with 2 subwoofers. They are placed near the front wall of the room ( inches from the wall).

Thanks for any help guys

Adam

Firstly, seriously what is wrong with this forum website?? Does anyone else get the jumbled appearance on their phone?

Lovely drivers although the Vida doesn't look to go that deep. MLTL perhaps?

Comment

Chris Roemer is getting in box measurements with the same Vifa but the Dayton RS28-f. Should hit mid 40 Hz in a .60 cubic ft with 2 1/2" X 9 1/2" round port.

Comment

Didn't Kerry do something similar? (NavyGuy)
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Yup....
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-cu-ft-cabinet
          Last edited by joeybutts; 01-30-2017, 08:37 AM. Reason: Fantastic design, I have heard them and would tell you to not hesitate utilizing it....
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
            Didn't Kerry do something similar? (NavyGuy)

Kerry used the 8 ohm version of the Vifa. Hope Chris and I end up with the same excellent results as the Texas Floods.

Comment

Would using the 4 ohm Vifa in Navyguy's design require altering the crossover? Otherwise these look ideal for me

Comment

I did a design using the 4 ohm. I found it required considerable work smack in the xo range to sound "right". Whether that is worth it or not is debatable - it sounded excellent with superb bass, but linear distortion issues will, imho, require extra attention to detail.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Typically 4ohm vs 8ohm drivers not only have diff. impedances (which can double or halve component values), the 4ohm version often will be about 3dB more sensitive than the 8.

Comment

Hmm... ok I guess I'm outta luck with the Vifa drivers. I was hoping to use them because they were pretty expensive but with no established design using them I guess I'll have to go with something else.

Comment

I think those Vifas are GOLD. Why not take a break and just check back here in a couple weeks?

Comment

Thanks Chris... I'll do just that. Again many thanks to all those who took the time to respond. It's nice to have such a generous and dependable community to be able to come to with questions.
                        Adam

Comment

Adam, if you do decide to get rid of the woofers let me know. I'd be interested in them.
                          -Kerry

Comment

Working...
                          X