Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimax 12 ported or 15 sealed

Attached Files

If you've got an especially problematic room (and it SEEMs like you might) I'd think the shallower rolloff of a closed box would be a blessing.

Comment

In addition to room lift something that one might consider is the ability to get a deep response in pressure mode. The deepest sound mode (half wave) along the 18 foot room length is about 32 Hz. To get below that you need to use the pressurization to get a deeper response. So in that room I believe the 15 inch inch sealed subwoofer would be the way to go.

John

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I think i need to make some measurements in open space and in the room to evaluate the room gane. If it effectively counters the roll off, maybe sealed is the way to go. If not, i would not want to give up too much in room low frequency extension. You are right, my worst room mode is at about 32Hz as determined by the long dimension. I have a 12db notch filter set at this frequency. Standing at the room center it's too much but sitting on the couch near the back of the room is not enough. Near the corner opposite the sub 32Hz is overwhelming. That's what drives me toward two subs in opposing corners. In theory this should cancel room modes when wired in phase but i have never tried this. With one sub i think the sealed will work with the huge amount of low frequency gain i have at least at the couch. I wonder how this would work with two subs in opposing corners. As this smooths the respond peaks around the room i assume it will also decrease the low frequency room gain. Again, I've never tried this so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

If the 4 cu-feet size is OK for you, then an UM18-22 sealed would work in this, and give a F3 around 26-28 Hz with considerably more headroom over either a 12 or 15.

Comment

Well that's an interesting thought. If i can make use of some room gain, the 18 will give me more SPL. If i need a linkwitz transform to match the f3, the 18 and the 12 give me about the same max SPL. With a natural f3 of 27 i bet the room gain is all i will need. I'll need alot more power and money. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pick View Post
              Well that's an interesting thought. If i can make use of some room gain, the 18 will give me more SPL. If i need a linkwitz transform to match the f3, the 18 and the 12 give me about the same max SPL. With a natural f3 of 27 i bet the room gain is all i will need. I'll need alot more power and money. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nearly the same spl sure. But the 18" is going to move a lot more air and it will be much more tactile. Those really deep notes aren't about spl, but moving air. Dual ported 12's are toys compared to dual 18's even if those 18's are sealed. The sealed 18's will rip your guts out in comparison to the 12's. Both Crown and Behringer have affordable amps with dsp that put out tons of power to drive those 18's however you want them and those drivers have enough travel to take it.

Comment

Ok. I am starting to lean toward the ultimax 18. Two sealed subs in opposite corners powered with an inuke 6000. Does anyone have experience with two subs in opposite corners? The object of the game here is flatter response over a greater area of the room compare to a single sub. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X