Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car project for a simpleton

Hello everyone,
    I have this idea that I might be able to improve on my car stereo by replacing my speakers with the following:

Aurasound NSW2
    Dayton RS-150-8

I would use an active cross-over at 300 or 400hz or so, LR4. No subwoofer.

No baffle step compensation since the woofer will be mounted in the door panel. The NSW2 will be mounted on the A pillar, near the side mirrors.

What are my chances of success? Will I be wasting time and money?

Peter
    Last edited by peter_m; 02-14-2017, 09:10 PM.

The RS150 is going to roll off near 100 hz, so there may be better choices unless you have a woofer somewhere. I've not modelled the NSW2 but the x-o point seems low for decent spl.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Typically a driver w/a higher "Q"(ts) value is used in a car door. That said, the Al coned 150 (as opposed to the 150P - paper) might be the better of THOSE 2 choices. Either one is actually about +5dB louder than the AURA 2" - but you can probably set the woofer levels down w/your electronics. You'll need a sub, since these will be lucky to reach 120Hz (cabin gain isn't normally considered to reach up that high). 400 could be better than 300 - and 500 might be better still.

Comment

The Dayton Q is too low for good results in a door, the Aurasound is too large to work well as a HF driver. You don't mention a tweeter, so I assume there isn't one already in place.
        OEM car speakers tend to work well enough as midbass/midranges. Where improvements can be had is with the addition of subs and A pillar mounted tweeters.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

What's a good Qts value for a door mounted speaker.

Comment

0.7 is considered the "target" (same as the Qtc target for a closed box). 0.5 MIGHT be OK. Personally I'd shoot for 0.6-0.9 range. The RS150s are in the low .30s (GREAT for vented boxes though!).

Comment

These are pretty popular for door and rear deck woofers. And PE has a 20% off sale right now on them.

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...4-ohm--290-308

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                The Dayton Q is too low for good results in a door, the Aurasound is too large to work well as a HF driver. You don't mention a tweeter, so I assume there isn't one already in place.
                OEM car speakers tend to work well enough as midbass/midranges. Where improvements can be had is with the addition of subs and A pillar mounted tweeters.
                The q is largely irrelevant if it is being crossed to a sub. And there are many world champion SQ cars that have competed and won with the Dayton RS drivers.
                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

You may also want to stick with 4 ohm speakers. At 8 ohms, the amp's output power will be cut in half compared to the 4 ohm driver.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                    The q is largely irrelevant if it is being crossed to a sub.
                    He doesn't mention that, and I assumed the reason for going to that woofer is better bass response than stock.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                      0.7 is considered the "target" (same as the Qtc target for a closed box). 0.5 MIGHT be OK. Personally I'd shoot for 0.6-0.9 range. The RS150s are in the low .30s (GREAT for vented boxes though!).
                      Thanks. The ones I have should work. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...4-ohm--290-216

Comment

Thank you all for the responses.
                        I want to use the NSW2 because I want as much as possible of the spectrum to come from the pillars and aimed at my head... as opposed to having everything aimed at my ankles like in most conventional factory car speakers. Tweeters don't go low enough and I have no room for a mid + tweeter... All I can manage to fit is a 2 inch driver in that location so the NSW2 might be a good compromise... or will I be very disappointment?

If I stick with the NSW2, how large of an enclosure will I need?

As for a sub... there will be none. Don't like them, don't have room or money for them.

The woofer needs a Qt of 0,70, go it.... So the RS-150 is out of the question then. Would DA175-8 be a better choice?

Any suggestions?

Comment

As mentioned above some of the goldwoods would fit, GW-206/4, GW-6024, GW-6PC/4, GW-6028
                          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

What are you considering for your active crossover?
                            ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
                              What are you considering for your active crossover?
                              And will you be running a sub? If so, then the Qts is really a pretty moot point.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Working...
                              X