Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - metal dowel pins

Hi,

I have a set of chairs where the backrests are attached to the chair frame with wooden dowels. Unfortunately, the backrests have been snapped off by family members. They always fail at the wooden dowel. They are repairable, but it is fiddly and time consuming procedure.

So, I'm thinking of using a steel dowel instead of the typical wooden dowels. So here's the question: what adhesive will effectively bond steel to wood?

Thanks,

Rob

That's a job for slow setting epoxy.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

PL Premium or Gorilla Glue should work, too.
      Francis

Comment

I second the epoxy. Best stuff on earth. Keep in mind that once you strengthen it with a steel pin, if lots of pressure is applied to the chair... It will still break at it's weakest point but that point will not be the steel pin and most likely you could end up with a bigger problem than you have now. If the rest of the chair is substantial enough, it may not be a problem though.

Comment

Ditto msn's view. Perhaps someone needs some "re-training"?

Comment

Just checking that your using hardwood dowels. They a fair bit stronger than softwood dowels.

Comment

If you change to steel, you may find the failure shifts to the next weakest link, one that isn't so easily repairable.

Just something to consider.

Comment

Sounds like a job for a structural wood screw (aka heavy duty drywall screw or construction screw) if you can get to the underside of the seat
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

J-B Weld is about the strongest epoxy in retail. It has nearly the strength of aluminum in PSI. I keep both the steel version and the "normal" version on hand all the time. It may not cure the problem, but it'll help.

Comment

There will always be a 'weak point', then the next weak point, and the next. If you've identified the dowels as substandard and believe that a metal pin will fix it...I say go for it!

Comment

Home Despot sells metal rod in various diameters. I think you can get what you need there.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                        Home Despot sells metal rod in various diameters. I think you can get what you need there.
                        True. The HD rods are basic steel and will rust quickly, with the rust possibly bleeding onto the nearby structure of the chair.

I presume the diameter of the dowel is fairly large. I might look at HD's aluminum rod. In larger diameters it should be strong enough. The aluminum will oxidize but that oxidation shouldn't bleed into the nearby structure. The aluminum can be cut precisely with a miter saw (I'd switch to an old blade for that).

Comment

Working...
                        X