X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thekorvers
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jan 2010

C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Did anyone see this kit? Looks like a very good deal and a great way to introduce someone to this great hobby of ours. The frequency response looks pretty good (don't know how much smoothing is applied):

http://www.parts-express.com/c-note-...ets--300-7140#!

There are a few other interesting kits and items as well:

“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D
  • Wolf
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Sep 2005

Yeah- I saw that too. I wonder who the designer is?

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• jhollander
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Oct 2006

The last page schematic says DSA215?
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• ronk
        Been Around Awhile
        • Jun 2011

I just ordered the kit and it is being shipped out today. It does look like a good deal. I did have a question about the potential breakup mode in the aluminium woofer, and Chris P, the designer answered. Hopefully, the aluminium breakup mode has been controlled. On paper, this is a better deal than the overnight sensations (which I build last year) * Grin.

Comment

• ronk
          Been Around Awhile
          • Jun 2011

Redundant post.
          Last edited by ronk; 02-27-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Geoff Millar
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Oct 2014

Hello from Australia

I don't need another pair of workshop speakers but these look like incredible value if they sound as good as the specs suggest.

Even including the high cost of shipping, I couldn't buy the kit parts and CNC cut MDF for anywhere near the cost of this kit. The crossover parts and port alone would cost A$100.

Looking forward to the first review!

Geoff

Comment

• mattp
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Chris P is the designer of this kit. The DSA215 listed in the last page of the manual is a typo and I will have that fixed. I will be taking off axis response for this kit soon (maybe tomorrow) and have done quite a bit of listening during my testing in the lab and can say it is a fantastic sounding kit for the price. It has amazing bass response for it's size and still manages to have quite a bit of output capability. For the record, this is the response I measured a few days ago on a finished/completed kit at 2.83v. This is 1/24th octave smoothing w/ reverse null, and no blending.

Overall I think this is a great in-between option from the OS and TriTrix kits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1321441.png
Views:	2689
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1321443
              Your results may vary.

Comment

• Chris_Perez
                Super Moderator
                • May 2014

Thanks Matt,
                We wanted to offer a kit for $100 a pair and we wanted a budget kit that would be a little more powerful than the Overnight Sensations. Thanks to the incedible quality and value of the new Dayton Audio inductors and DSA drivers we were able to combine those two goals into one kit. I did most of the design, with some help from the Dayton Audio engineers.

The crossover frequency is 3,000 Hz, I went low to try to push the DSA135's breakup as low as possible. For the tweeter I just used series resistance to drop the efficiency to match the woofer and help level out the slow 10 dB drop above 10,000 Hz (also makes the other components smaller, saves money). The phase between the woofer and tweeter at the crossover frequency match very well.

If you have any questions, just ask.
                Last edited by Chris_Perez; 02-27-2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• jhollander
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Oct 2006

Nice job Chris. Maybe we can hear these during the meet and greet in July?
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• Chris_Perez
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by jhollander
                    Nice job Chris. Maybe we can hear these during the meet and greet in July?
                    Thanks jhollander, and absolutely!
                    I designed the enclosure so there is just enough room to install a Dayton Audio WF60PA amplifier in the back (http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-40-a--300-781). When teamed up with the Eminince 8"/dual passive subwoofer you have a powerful self contained setup. (http://www.parts-express.com/powered...-kit--300-7108). I'll most likely bring that whole setup to the meet and greet. Small and easy to hook up, you have to appreciate that ...especially on open unlimited night.

We will probably have some other kits and CBT24's set up too.
                    Last edited by Chris_Perez; 02-28-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Ron_E
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Wolf
                      Yeah- I saw that too. I wonder who the designer is?

Later,
                      Wolf
                      I designed the C-Notes for the Iron Driver contest in 2012. (Just not these C-Notes)

Ron
                      C-Note Iron Driver Build
                      The Cherry π's

Comment

• Mike E
                        Midrange Member
                        • Jun 2008

i wanted to ask, what landed you on the DSA135-8? it has been a while since i have been around and was reading a waveguide thread here. which got me wondering on why a design using the ND25FW-4with say the DSA115 or DS115 hasnt happened. i get that even ported it wouldnt have that low a F3 but if you really need lower F3 then why not the ND105-4 or 105-8. Granted someone may have done a design using those woofers but i havent kept track or really done looking lately since i started lurking agian here. please dont take this as me criticizing the C-note kit cause im not, im just wondering on the driver choice.

Comment

• Wolf
                          Obsessed & Proud of It
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Ron_E

I designed the C-Notes for the Iron Driver contest in 2012. (Just not these C-Notes)

Ron
                          I thought there was another one somewhere....
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• ronk
                            Been Around Awhile
                            • Jun 2011

My C-Note arrives on Wednesday sans the binding posts. I might try to build part of the C-Note this weekend or at least assemble the crossover and part of the box. We shall see. I am thinking over finishing the cabinet with vinyl wrap, which I have some leftover from home repairs. My last 2 speaker projects that involved painting are eyesores. My painting is bad and ugly. My overnight sensation has 1 coat of polyurethane which stunk my home hence 1 coat. I might try veneer if I can get inexpensive veneer.

Comment

• Evan Steeves
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • Jul 2016

hmmm...curious how these would do as rear surround speakers in my 5.1 system. I have Amiga towers in front and a sunflower center channel. These look quite cost-effective and super quick to build!

Anybody have opinions on these as rear surround?

Comment

Working...