Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ronk
    replied
    Probably for cost reasons, they did not include foam, and more importantly, a notch filter to deal with any potential aluminium driver breakup. According to Chris P, the designer, he crossed the woofer at 3 k so that the breakup is 20+dB below reference to reduce cone breakup effects. This is so we can get the deal of one C-note aka hundred bucks. Foam and additional crossover parts will raise price to above 100 bucks. Foam and fill are stuff I can easily add and is no biggie. I would prefer Baltic birch plywood as that is nicer and does not smell like mdf, but I suspect Baltic us more expensive than mdf.

My C-note arrives today.

Leave a comment:

• Evan Steeves
    replied
    Originally posted by ronk View Post
    Or use cheap mattress foam. One queen mattress foam works for many loudspeaker builds. As the C-Note is bass reflex, lining the walls might be better than poly fill throughout the cabinet.

Was only going to put some polyfill at the bottom, similarly to my Amigas. I usually treat the two (lining walls and polyfill) as seperate items. Just not sure why kit didn't include acoustic foam, if it might be roequired - perhaps for cost reasons?

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    Sure you can do vinyl. It does need prep though. The surface needs to be flat and smooth. Any cut edges or end grain needs to be sealed. A coat or 2 of wood glue works well. Let it dry completely then lightly sand with 220 grit to remove any fuzzies.

Leave a comment:

• ronk
    replied
    Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post

You will need to strip them down to bare. Water based poly doesnt work well over the oil base.
    Thanks,

Ok, no water based poly over oil based poly. Maybe when the weather is nice, I might go to my deck (or garage) and add a second layer of the stinky minwax stuff. Or just leave the OS with almost bare wood.

Can I just use vinyl wrap over MDF for my C-Note. I am thinking about easy and vinyl wrap without prep will be easiest. Next will be elmers glue cover and then spay stone texture or elmers glue over vinyl.

Leave a comment:

• ronk
    replied
    Or use cheap mattress foam. One queen mattress foam works for many loudspeaker builds. As the C-Note is bass reflex, lining the walls might be better than poly fill throughout the cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Just use some poly fill like Paul says, "Until it sounds big!"

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Evan Steeves
    replied
    One other question: the kit ships with no acoustic foam - would it be beneficial to put any? what about poly-fill? I still have some poly left over from my Amigas.

Leave a comment:

• Evan Steeves
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Atmos uses speakers for audio sensory at different heights in the room. Most of the examples you see involve either additional ceiling-hung speakers pointing down at the listener, or an integrated speaker in/on the top of your current surround setup firing upwards at an angle.

I don't know how much of that is even required. I find a good 5.1 or 5.2 to be fantastic.

Later,
    Wolf

Hey Wolf,

thanks for your input. I went ahead and put my order in for these. I think that they will be very enjoyable as rear surrounds. Will provide feedback once I get them...assembling these should only take a few hours, given I usually cut/router the enclosures myself and this comes pre-cut. I will also need to build some nice wood stands for these. I assume height should be roughly at the listener's ears (or basically making woofer/tweeter same height as my Amigas?)

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post
    Are you referring to dipole surrounds? I just read an article stating that dipoles come with some trade-offs anyways and aren't always suitable for every room, or every install position. I guess it depends on your space and how picky you are. Nonetheless, I think these C-notes would fit my rear surround needs, especially for me as a first system build.
    Atmos uses speakers for audio sensory at different heights in the room. Most of the examples you see involve either additional ceiling-hung speakers pointing down at the listener, or an integrated speaker in/on the top of your current surround setup firing upwards at an angle.

I don't know how much of that is even required. I find a good 5.1 or 5.2 to be fantastic.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Yes, I might add a second coat to my overnight sensations with water based poly or just use neutral shoe polish ( I cannot seem to find neutral in the stores anymore). Anyway the overnight sensations with real wood looks nice unfinished or with one polyurethane coat.

The C-Note has to be painted or covered because the MDF looks ugly unfinished and MDF also has bad odor.
    You will need to strip them down to bare. Water based poly doesnt work well over the oil base.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Stone spray requires a top-coat of some sort. I've used spray polyurethane, but I think that any acrylic clear-coat will also work.
    Do not apply water-based poly over oil-based poly, as it will not adhere, and maybe make it uglier still.

Brush-on/wipe-on oil poly on MDF looks nice and warm in tone and color to me. It's not a bad finish, and will seal it well. If you want to apply veneer or paint, you have to seal the MDF first. Some use Zinser Sealcoat (which is an alcohol based shellac) before paint or veneer. Others use 50/50 Elmer's glue/water, or straight Elmer's glue brushed on.

If you want it EASY, get yourself some Duratex, and that's it.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Evan Steeves
    replied
    Stone texture spray bomb paint is an idea. At least bad painting can be hidden. I have tried brush (presentable but not great) and gloss from can (bad and ugly) for my Denova .04 cu ft builds. I will think about the finish for my C-Note as I will not receive the binding posts tomorrow.

Any samples of Stone texture speakers images?

Atmos surround requires special surrounds as the speakers require a specific dispersion pattern from what I have read. Anyway, I listen in stereo mode with a HT 5.1 theater receiver. Too lazy to wire the rears even though I have speakers out my ear and am thinking of building another full range single driver speaker pair. I am liking the midrange of the TB bamboo cone, even though there is no bass and the treble is beamy,

Are you referring to dipole surrounds? I just read an article stating that dipoles come with some trade-offs anyways and aren't always suitable for every room, or every install position. I guess it depends on your space and how picky you are. Nonetheless, I think these C-notes would fit my rear surround needs, especially for me as a first system build.

Why not just wrap your speakers using some high-grade vynil? no need to go through the torture of painting. I personally enjoy painting, but feel it's something you HAVE to enjoy to get it right....it just takes so much time, especially prepping the surface, to get favorable results

I think I will order these today. I priced out buying the drivers and crossover components locally, and even with exchange rate from USA to Canada and shipping, it's still cheaper for me to buy straight from parts express :D

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied
    Could rename them Franklins.

Leave a comment:

• ronk
    replied
    Stone texture spray bomb paint is an idea. At least bad painting can be hidden. I have tried brush (presentable but not great) and gloss from can (bad and ugly) for my Denova .04 cu ft builds. I will think about the finish for my C-Note as I will not receive the binding posts tomorrow.

Any samples of Stone texture speakers images?

Atmos surround requires special surrounds as the speakers require a specific dispersion pattern from what I have read. Anyway, I listen in stereo mode with a HT 5.1 theater receiver. Too lazy to wire the rears even though I have speakers out my ear and am thinking of building another full range single driver speaker pair. I am liking the midrange of the TB bamboo cone, even though there is no bass and the treble is beamy,

Leave a comment:

• Evan Steeves
    replied
    My guess is probably good. There are the right size for rears and matching tone isn't a big issue for rears. Unless you want Atmos, the C-Note should work. No idea how it sounds yet, as my C-Note is still enroute from Ohio.

interesting. I am not sure the diference between Dolby 5.1 digital (or wtv the older iteration was called) and Dolby Atmos, but I assume with my current setup (Xbox one-S as blu-ray player, Yamaha RX-V379 as receiver), only the previous iteration of Dolby technology is supported. I would assume that these speakers would match tonally with my Amigas, as they are also aluminium cones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X