C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronk View Post
    My C-Note arrives on Wednesday sans the binding posts. I might try to build part of the C-Note this weekend or at least assemble the crossover and part of the box. We shall see. I am thinking over finishing the cabinet with vinyl wrap, which I have some leftover from home repairs. My last 2 speaker projects that involved painting are eyesores. My painting is bad and ugly. My overnight sensation has 1 coat of polyurethane which stunk my home hence 1 coat. I might try veneer if I can get inexpensive veneer.
    Did you use an oil base poly? If so, yeah that can have a bit of stink. A wipe on poly (50/50 mix of oil based poly and mineral spirits) isnt to bad. A water based poly is virtually odor free.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

My guess is probably good. There are the right size for rears and matching tone isn't a big issue for rears. Unless you want Atmos, the C-Note should work. No idea how it sounds yet, as my C-Note is still enroute from Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post

Did you use an oil base poly? If so, yeah that can have a bit of stink. A wipe on poly (50/50 mix of oil based poly and mineral spirits) isnt to bad. A water based poly is virtually odor free.

Yes, I might add a second coat to my overnight sensations with water based poly or just use neutral shoe polish ( I cannot seem to find neutral in the stores anymore). Anyway the overnight sensations with real wood looks nice unfinished or with one polyurethane coat.

The C-Note has to be painted or covered because the MDF looks ugly unfinished and MDF also has bad odor.

Comment

Stone texture spray bomb paint is a very simple solution for a quick attractive finish on MDF.

Comment

My guess is probably good. There are the right size for rears and matching tone isn't a big issue for rears. Unless you want Atmos, the C-Note should work. No idea how it sounds yet, as my C-Note is still enroute from Ohio.

interesting. I am not sure the diference between Dolby 5.1 digital (or wtv the older iteration was called) and Dolby Atmos, but I assume with my current setup (Xbox one-S as blu-ray player, Yamaha RX-V379 as receiver), only the previous iteration of Dolby technology is supported. I would assume that these speakers would match tonally with my Amigas, as they are also aluminium cones.

Comment

Stone texture spray bomb paint is an idea. At least bad painting can be hidden. I have tried brush (presentable but not great) and gloss from can (bad and ugly) for my Denova .04 cu ft builds. I will think about the finish for my C-Note as I will not receive the binding posts tomorrow.

Any samples of Stone texture speakers images?

Atmos surround requires special surrounds as the speakers require a specific dispersion pattern from what I have read. Anyway, I listen in stereo mode with a HT 5.1 theater receiver. Too lazy to wire the rears even though I have speakers out my ear and am thinking of building another full range single driver speaker pair. I am liking the midrange of the TB bamboo cone, even though there is no bass and the treble is beamy,

Comment

Could rename them Franklins.
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Stone texture spray bomb paint is an idea. At least bad painting can be hidden. I have tried brush (presentable but not great) and gloss from can (bad and ugly) for my Denova .04 cu ft builds. I will think about the finish for my C-Note as I will not receive the binding posts tomorrow.

Any samples of Stone texture speakers images?

Atmos surround requires special surrounds as the speakers require a specific dispersion pattern from what I have read. Anyway, I listen in stereo mode with a HT 5.1 theater receiver. Too lazy to wire the rears even though I have speakers out my ear and am thinking of building another full range single driver speaker pair. I am liking the midrange of the TB bamboo cone, even though there is no bass and the treble is beamy,

Are you referring to dipole surrounds? I just read an article stating that dipoles come with some trade-offs anyways and aren't always suitable for every room, or every install position. I guess it depends on your space and how picky you are. Nonetheless, I think these C-notes would fit my rear surround needs, especially for me as a first system build.

Why not just wrap your speakers using some high-grade vynil? no need to go through the torture of painting. I personally enjoy painting, but feel it's something you HAVE to enjoy to get it right....it just takes so much time, especially prepping the surface, to get favorable results

I think I will order these today. I priced out buying the drivers and crossover components locally, and even with exchange rate from USA to Canada and shipping, it's still cheaper for me to buy straight from parts express :D

Comment

Stone spray requires a top-coat of some sort. I've used spray polyurethane, but I think that any acrylic clear-coat will also work.
                    Do not apply water-based poly over oil-based poly, as it will not adhere, and maybe make it uglier still.

Brush-on/wipe-on oil poly on MDF looks nice and warm in tone and color to me. It's not a bad finish, and will seal it well. If you want to apply veneer or paint, you have to seal the MDF first. Some use Zinser Sealcoat (which is an alcohol based shellac) before paint or veneer. Others use 50/50 Elmer's glue/water, or straight Elmer's glue brushed on.

If you want it EASY, get yourself some Duratex, and that's it.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Yes, I might add a second coat to my overnight sensations with water based poly or just use neutral shoe polish ( I cannot seem to find neutral in the stores anymore). Anyway the overnight sensations with real wood looks nice unfinished or with one polyurethane coat.

The C-Note has to be painted or covered because the MDF looks ugly unfinished and MDF also has bad odor.
                      You will need to strip them down to bare. Water based poly doesnt work well over the oil base.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post
                        Are you referring to dipole surrounds? I just read an article stating that dipoles come with some trade-offs anyways and aren't always suitable for every room, or every install position. I guess it depends on your space and how picky you are. Nonetheless, I think these C-notes would fit my rear surround needs, especially for me as a first system build.
                        Atmos uses speakers for audio sensory at different heights in the room. Most of the examples you see involve either additional ceiling-hung speakers pointing down at the listener, or an integrated speaker in/on the top of your current surround setup firing upwards at an angle.

I don't know how much of that is even required. I find a good 5.1 or 5.2 to be fantastic.

Later,
                        Wolf

"We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Atmos uses speakers for audio sensory at different heights in the room. Most of the examples you see involve either additional ceiling-hung speakers pointing down at the listener, or an integrated speaker in/on the top of your current surround setup firing upwards at an angle.

I don't know how much of that is even required. I find a good 5.1 or 5.2 to be fantastic.

Later,
                          Wolf

Hey Wolf,

thanks for your input. I went ahead and put my order in for these. I think that they will be very enjoyable as rear surrounds. Will provide feedback once I get them...assembling these should only take a few hours, given I usually cut/router the enclosures myself and this comes pre-cut. I will also need to build some nice wood stands for these. I assume height should be roughly at the listener's ears (or basically making woofer/tweeter same height as my Amigas?)

Comment

One other question: the kit ships with no acoustic foam - would it be beneficial to put any? what about poly-fill? I still have some poly left over from my Amigas.

Comment

Just use some poly fill like Paul says, "Until it sounds big!"

Later,
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Or use cheap mattress foam. One queen mattress foam works for many loudspeaker builds. As the C-Note is bass reflex, lining the walls might be better than poly fill throughout the cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                                X