No announcement yet.

C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For $100 I'm in. Let's do another project.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
      Chris you might consider adding a series resistor with that cap as you would have a capacitance load to ground.
      Where would you place the resistor.

Comment

The practice is to place a 5 to 10 ohm resistor in series with the the small cap. As wogg pointed out, the resistance in this case doesn't drop to an unreasonable level. I checked the electrical phase and there does not seem to be any reason to use a resistor in this circuit.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I haven't been able to hear any noticeable difference with the 0.22 uF cap across L2. Now, I don't claim to have the best ears (too much time around power tools and driving with the windows open I suppose, lol) so the difference may be there, but nothing obvious.

As jhollander pointed out, the pase shift is extremely minor and the overall response only changes by less than 1 dB. According to the simulations the .22 cap does push the peak down from -20 dB to -40 dB... Really kills it (I'll post the graphs on Monday).

So, I would say if you have any concern go ahead and add the cap... it definitely doesn't hurt. Also, the cap's leads are plenty long enough that it would be easy to add it if you want to try the system without it first (unless you use gorilla glue to install the crossover like I did in the video, lol...oh yeah, there's a video assembly manual now).

Oh, and Wogg is right. The .205 connectors aren't necessary, they just fit perfect. Heck, I've opened up some newer Bose speakers and they just tightly wrap the wires around a pin...no solder, no connector, nothing (that is cost savings for 'ya). Actually, solder is my least favorite speaker connection, on occasion the tinsel leads will move slightly causing the leads to slap the cone, ugh.
          Last edited by Chris_Perez; 03-03-2017, 09:43 PM. Reason: I am a terrible typest :)

Comment

A 40 db drop at the peak woofer breakup is worth having. But if I want to get the caps, I will probably have to wait until i have enough to buy to get the free shipping. I am cheap and not going to pay $7.00 shipping for $3.00 of caps. I am thinking of building another full range somewhat like my TB W3 2141 in the Denova .04 cu ft enclosure. I will start another thread asking for advice.

Comment

We did this video a little differently. This one is more of a manual. Only 5 minutes, but I think James B (he makes our videos) managed to show everything very well... Especially the crossover assembly. Leave a comment let us know what you think.

Comment

I'm with you on the shipping ronk, lol.
                Those Tang Bands are super nice. That will be a fun tiny project.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Perez View Post
                  I'm with you on the shipping ronk, lol.
                  Those Tang Bands are super nice. That will be a fun tiny project.

I just posted my questions for my next full range build in a new thread. Suggestions anyone? I am mostly thinking of TB 2142 or TB 2143 but am open to other drivers.

Comment

I've got some .22 polyester caps I can mail, send me a PM with your address if you are interested.
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Thanks JHollander. Let me think a few days about which direction I will go first. I may build something else and have more orders from PE and will be able to get the caps directly from PE.

Comment

Originally posted by ronk View Post

Yes, I might add a second coat to my overnight sensations with water based poly or just use neutral shoe polish ( I cannot seem to find neutral in the stores anymore). Anyway the overnight sensations with real wood looks nice unfinished or with one polyurethane coat.

The C-Note has to be painted or covered because the MDF looks ugly unfinished and MDF also has bad odor.

Check out Renaissance wax. Haven't tried it yet myself, but plan to.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Perez View Post
                          We did this video a little differently. This one is more of a manual. Only 5 minutes, but I think James B (he makes our videos) managed to show everything very well... Especially the crossover assembly. Leave a comment let us know what you think.
                          Hello

Thank you for the video, it always helps to have a guide - especially for the crossover!
                          I have a question about the assembly sequence for the cabinet: for people with big hands, would it be easier to attach the front baffle after the crossover has been installed, and the binding posts connected to the crossover? Or is there a reason why the cabinet has to be completed before you do this?

Just a thought, but I know in my case doing things in that order would be less fiddly and reduce swear word output.

Thanks again to PE for an absolute bargain

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar
                            Would it be easier to attach the front baffle after the crossover has been installed, and the binding posts connected to the crossover? Or is there a reason why the cabinet has to be completed before you do this?
                            Hey Geoff,
                            No reason what so ever... You could install the crossover anytime.

You could also use one of our 3" x 5" perforated boards for a little cleaner look. Print the point-to-point diagram from the manual and use it as a template, it is pretty much to scale. Mount the components to the board and make all the connections on the back (the leads are just long enough). Install the boards with a couple screws (not as permanent as my gorilla glue method, lol).

Comment

Thanks Chris. As I put in an earlier post, I don't need another pair of 'workshop speakers' at the moment, but these really are great value. I really asked the question on behalf of other purchasers.

As I noted in an earlier post, the landed cost for these in Australia is far less than I could purchase the parts and MDF for!

I think PE will sell a heap of these, and if it gets people started in DIY that would be great.

Good luck

Geoff

Comment

C-note wrapped in white iron-on melamine. Quick and easy finish. Took less than two hours and only need a break-away razor, iron, and something to push out the air bubbles... I use a plastic carpet stair tool, but anything that isn't very hard with a good strait edge will work (piece of scrap wood).

Comment

Working...
                                X