C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris_Perez View Post
    C-note wrapped in white iron-on melamine. Quick and easy finish. Took less than two hours and only need a break-away razor, iron, and something to push out the air bubbles... I use a plastic carpet stair tool, but anything that isn't very hard with a good strait edge will work (piece of scrap wood).
    Where'd you get the iron on melamine?
    -Kerry

Comment

PE...
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Ooh, looks so cool. My original binding posts are on back order until 4/13. So I called PE to cancel the binding post order and replace with a different binding post. I was also able to sneak in the .22 caps and .205 female disconnect for free shipping. I can start building my C note by the end of the week. My vinyl cutting tool also arrived at HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

Where'd you get the iron on melamine?
          Yep, Wolf is right...we have it at Parts Express. Available in black, grey, and white.
          Band-It White Melamine 24" x 96" Iron-On

Comment

those look good Chris!

Mine still haven't shipped out yet. My worry is that when I click on the link to each of the drivers in the kit, they are all 'Out of stock'...is this because PE allotted the available drivers to the kits, or are there really none in stock at all, making the kit also 'Out of stock' (even though they don't say they are out of stock)? Tweeters say expected availability is May 31...I REALLY do not want to wait three months to get this kit!

Comment

^. My guess is that PE has packed all the existing stock into kits for easy shipment. If the C-Note is available, you should be getting it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ronk View Post
                ^. My guess is that PE has packed all the existing stock into kits for easy shipment. If the C-Note is available, you should be getting it soon.

Hope you are right! I am too anxious/excited to wait that long :D Let me know about the extra capacitors, if you end up using them what kind of difference you hear...I am pretty sure I can source them locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post
                  those look good Chris!

Mine still haven't shipped out yet. My worry is that when I click on the link to each of the drivers in the kit, they are all 'Out of stock'...is this because PE allotted the available drivers to the kits, or are there really none in stock at all, making the kit also 'Out of stock' (even though they don't say they are out of stock)? Tweeters say expected availability is May 31...I REALLY do not want to wait three months to get this kit!
                  I ordered mine late Friday 3/3, shipped Monday 3/6. Expect it to arrive Wednesday 3/8.

Comment

aah...good news...It is possible they are waiting on the Dayton BPA-38G HD Binding Post , which seem to also be out of stock. Wondering if there's an alternative they DO have in stock so they could ship out asap.

Comment

^ Call PE. My binding posts were back ordered. When I placed the order, the estimated date of arrival was early March. When I checked yesterday, it had changed to mid april. I called PE and asked to change the order to a different set of binding posts. I snuck in the .22 caps and .205 female quick disconnects without having to pay additional shipping and handing because I qualified for free shipping the first time. I plan to start my build on Friday. if the weather is nice.

Comment

About the extra caps, I will just put them and not do an AB test unless I have problems and then take them out. According to Chris, it works. On paper, the .22 caps should reduce the aluminium cone breakup to 40+db below reference.

Comment

excuse my ignorance again, where exactly would the cap go in the crossover circuit? Also I will call them today after work, also probably add two 0.22uF caps :D

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post
                            excuse my ignorance again, where exactly would the cap go in the crossover circuit? Also I will call them today after work, also probably add two 0.22uF caps :D
                            Directly parallel with L2 in the schematic.
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music
                            Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Here is the woofer response with the crossover design as is:
                              Blue= system response
                              Orange= Woofer response
                              Black= Woofer response with existing crossover

Here is the woofer with the additional 0.22 uF cap:
                              Blue= system response
                              Orange= Woofer response
                              Black= Woofer response with crossover including 0.22 uF cap

And here is the woofer crossover schematic showing the location of the 0.22 uF cap:

The leads on most cap are plenty long enough to just piggyback the cap right on top of L2... just hook one side of the cap to one side of L2 and the other side of the cap to the other side of L2 (I'm not so sure those instructions are helping anyone, lol )

I hope that helps, at least a little,
                              Chris P

Comment

Wow, the .22 uF cap completely kills any aluminium breakup on the graph. I will stick the caps in my build. Yup, the schematic is exactly where I thought the cap should go. I will solder the crossover as soon as my binding posts and caps arrive. Good job with the measurements Chris.

Comment

Working...
                                X