Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronk
    Been Around Awhile
    • Jun 2011

Actually, it is less the smell but the taste. The chemicals dry my lips and taste bad.

Comment

• ronk
      Been Around Awhile
      • Jun 2011

According to tracking, my caps and binding posts are in my post office. Hopefully I will get them tomorrow. If I can go out and spray the stone finish so it looks nice, I can finish build on Sunday or monday.

Comment

• wogg
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ronk
        Actually, it is less the smell but the taste. The chemicals dry my lips and taste bad.
        You're not supposed to lick the MDF.
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music
        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

• PWR RYD
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Dec 2009

It's a shame Ron_E didn't copywrite or trademark his "C-Note" speaker name before it was jacked. I wonder how much that costs...
          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• ronk
            Been Around Awhile
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by wogg
            No licking, yuck yuck yuck. Just being close to and working with uncovered MDF makes my lips go dry and I can taste the MDF when I lick my lips.

Comment

• ronk
              Been Around Awhile
              • Jun 2011

I covered my backs and sides of my c-note with contact paper vinyl and the edges were coming off. I tried to super glue the edges but the edges became crinkled. I will have to order some better quality vinyl. I might get bright purple, red or irange.

Comment

• grizzlyman
                • Mar 2017

I've been lurking these forums for a while, finally decided to splurge a bit and buy a kit. I'm impressed with how well they sound. As soon as the weather heats up a bit I'll strip them down and put some kind of finish on them.

Comment

• ronk
                  Been Around Awhile
                  • Jun 2011

My binding posts and caps arrived today. But I have to delay completing my c-note. The vinyl on the box was ugly so I removed the vinyl. I ordered better stuff but it will come sometime next week. Also, it is too cold to spray on one more coarse of the stone finish. I better wait until the weather warms up. So it is brown stone baffle with black ash vinyl. Hopefully, I will have a nice finish.

Comment

• Evan Steeves
                    Been Around Awhile
                    • Jul 2016

Glad I got my kit ordered when I did, they seem to now be sold out pn Parts-Express...looks like it was a deal too good to be true for many people! I suspect many forum members picking up this kit!

Mine is out for delivery today although I won't be accepting it. Have to self-clear the item myself (UPS always d icks around with that, making it difficult) in order to not pay exhorbitant fees for their 'clearing services'.

may have time this weekend to work on them! Need to pick up a few small things, such as wood to make stands, more speaker wire, etc.

Comment

• ronk
                      Been Around Awhile
                      • Jun 2011

I completed the crossovers on small pieces of plywood. I first measured the DC resistance with drivers attached and both crossovers measured at 6.7 ohms. Then I connected the crossovers to drivers and my dta1 and they work. My better vinyl will come in today. But weather is too cold to spray coat the baffle one more coat. Also I spaced and ordered 1 pair of binding posts. What am I thinking and I have ordered binding posts for 4 previous builds and should have ordered 2 pairs? I did buy 4 pairs of cheap binding posts from the shack yesterday; last Shack closing down in town. My build will be done next week when I can spray the baffle properly.

Comment

• Atsaubrey
                        Been Around Awhile
                        • Dec 2015

Just got mine together after receiving this afternoon, wow! Wow! Wow!
                        Super detailed and will agree this is the best bargain build ever. Definately need to break these in to see if they smooth out, if not it's time to play with poly full. If you like a JBL/klipsch/horn sound youll love these. Again, break in and maybe some damping will resolve the issues but I will say they are super details but on the fatiguing side....agin I think I can tame them if need be. Staging is frigging amazing for a $100 build though!!!!! I'll play them a good 40 hours before going into "fixing them"...I am too damn happy right now with 20 minutes on them...just enjoying the music. Damn!

Comment

• Evan Steeves
                          Been Around Awhile
                          • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Atsaubrey
                          Just got mine together after receiving this afternoon, wow! Wow! Wow!
                          Super detailed and will agree this is the best bargain build ever. Definately need to break these in to see if they smooth out, if not it's time to play with poly full. If you like a JBL/klipsch/horn sound youll love these. Again, break in and maybe some damping will resolve the issues but I will say they are super details but on the fatiguing side....agin I think I can tame them if need be. Staging is frigging amazing for a $100 build though!!!!! I'll play them a good 40 hours before going into "fixing them"...I am too damn happy right now with 20 minutes on them...just enjoying the music. Damn!

thanks for the review!! Mine have arrived in Montreal but I don't have time to go self-clear the package and pick them up!!!

How much poly fill did you add so far? I have a big bag of it. Curious how much I should start with while doing my build :D

getting real excited now :D

Comment

• JohnBooty
                            Been Around Awhile
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by wogg
                            I'm not sure that's true. If that's correct then why do manufacturers give their finishes delicious names like Walnut and Cherry? Seems irresponsible at best.

Comment

• Atsaubrey
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Evan Steeves

thanks for the review!! Mine have arrived in Montreal but I don't have time to go self-clear the package and pick them up!!!

How much poly fill did you add so far? I have a big bag of it. Curious how much I should start with while doing my build :D

getting real excited now :D
                              No polyfill yet, I want to let them pay for a good 20 hours to see if they smooth out on their own before I play with it.

Comment

• Evan Steeves
                                Been Around Awhile
                                • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Atsaubrey

No polyfill yet, I want to let them pay for a good 20 hours to see if they smooth out on their own before I play with it.

okay cool, well keep me posted on what you do after your 20 hours of play time! by that time I should just be finishing up mine. Did you add any foam/sonic barrier to any of the inner walls?

Hopefully these will do me well as rear surround duty. Maybe I should plug them up front and play some stereo music in them first to get them properly broken in?

Comment

Working...