Trans Lab tweet for SS 8545

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Lab tweet for SS 8545

I've got a spair pair of SS 18W/8545-01 and I'm thinking it might be nice to do a 2-way with a Trans Lab (Be models out of budget) tweeter as I haven't used their tweeters before.

Any recommendations, even if it's "use an RS28F" or Satori or XXX instead because of YYY?

Initially these would be setup with a miniDSP 2x4 HD and four LM3886-based amplifiers, that is, there isn't a requirement to be compatible with a passive crossover (although that would be nice at a later date).

No hard limits on cabinet size, but if ported, they will be front or bottom ported.

Other ideas appreciated but I'm only considering 2-way designs with the 8545. Transmission line OK but I'd need help as I haven't done one before.

Thanks!
    --Derek
    Last edited by deschu; 03-01-2017, 10:57 AM. Reason: K removed from SS P/N
    --Derek

I used a TL tweeter (the MG version IIRC?) with the 4 ohm Scanspeak Rev 18w. IMO, the response of your SS Classic woofer at 2.7k is going to make it difficult to get a smooth cross to the TL tweeter. Do you have any in-box measurements of your Scanspeak? Mine was tough to get right, I had to play with it a LOT... but now that I have it dialed in I absolutely LOVE it. My biggest issue was edge diffraction, and that played out in the same region that I see a mildly ragged response in your woofer. Pete S loves the TL tweeters, but IIRC he said they sound best in a waveguide, and maybe that's part of his reason??

My $0.02 FWIW. YMMV
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

I don't think that driver complement will be an issue. The TLabs can play down to about 1.5kHz easily.

I recommend either the Alumina ceramic or Magnesia sandwich domes.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
        I used a TL tweeter (the MG version IIRC?) with the 4 ohm Scanspeak Rev 18w. IMO, the response of your SS Classic woofer at 2.7k is going to make it difficult to get a smooth cross to the TL tweeter. Do you have any in-box measurements of your Scanspeak? Mine was tough to get right, I had to play with it a LOT... but now that I have it dialed in I absolutely LOVE it. My biggest issue was edge diffraction, and that played out in the same region that I see a mildly ragged response in your woofer. Pete S loves the TL tweeters, but IIRC he said they sound best in a waveguide, and maybe that's part of his reason??

My $0.02 FWIW. YMMV
        Both Dan N. and I used the TL tweeters complimented by a guide. Doing that gives better directivity match to the woofer and therefore a smoother and more consistent off axis response. But I have little doubt that they would sound just as nice without the guide. And as Wolf has pointed out, even without a guide they can still cross at 1500Hz and below without a problem.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thanks much all! I have a pair of cabinets I can test in but they aren't particularly representative of the intended design....so another test cabinet it is!

Sounds pretty low risk overall though, esp. with the DSP version.....we'll have to see how they come out!

Thanks!
          --Derek

Comment

I've often wondered about TL tweeters, but they don't seem to pop up often in diy designs, at least that I've seen. I used the SEAS Millennium tweeter along with the SS 8545 many years ago in a 3 way and I still listen to them in my 2 channel listening area. Love that combo together. I also wouldn't count out using the SS 9500 along with your 8545. At least the 9500 is still reasonably priced, unlike the Millennium.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by deschu View Post
              Thanks much all! I have a pair of cabinets I can test in but they aren't particularly representative of the intended design....so another test cabinet it is!

Sounds pretty low risk overall though, esp. with the DSP version.....we'll have to see how they come out!

Thanks!
              The only risk is your wallet. I don't think you'd have any trouble getting rid of either the TL or the SS drivers if you decide you don't like or they don't work well enough for whatever reason.

For a more budget conscious choice, I'd recommend the Scan-Speak D2608/9130.
              I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Working...
              X