Transcription Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcription Records

My Grandfather was a minister from the 30's up through the 70's. During that time he had a radio show. I have come across several albums which he recorded to be used by the radio stations. The problem is they are on 16" disks, which are too large to play on a standard turntable. They were called transcription records. Does anyone have any idea on where to find or how to build a turntable to play these albums. They are 33 rpm.

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I saw a box of 16" records in the used record store where I by 78s a year ago, and started thinking of building a turntable to play them. I bought none though, and saw none yesterday when I was in that store.

If you don't find a suitable TT, I might help you build one. I've done several TTs for 78rpm and others for 33 1/3rpm. You might look for a tonearm, making that could be more work than makes sense.

Comment

You might be able to still borrow one from a school or library. You might even want to check with local radio stations.
        If your goal is to get a recording off the record onto a digital format you might want to see if someone on the forum could do that for you.
        Good luck, glad to see you putting work into preserving these.

Comment

They likely play "inside-out" in reverse rotation too.

Comment

Working...
          X