Anarchy and rs28f m/t my first speaker design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anarchy and rs28f m/t my first speaker design

like the title says this is my first speaker from the ground up, i have built a few of other peoples speaker designs and i wanted to learn to do my own. Im hoping to get some feedback on the process if i did it correctly and the design if it looks ok. i built the boxes a few years ago so i don't have any pics of them being put together. I used OmniMic v2 to measure the drivers i didn't do a near-field measurement so in the pictures below 500-600hz isn't accurate. then i extracted minimum phase. i used xsim for the crossover, i couldn't get the graphs to line up perfectly while trying to figure out the offset, the picture shows as close as i could get it.

i couldn't attach all the pictures in one post.

Comment

If the LCR at the amp end is for the tweeter Fs, it should be across the tweeter. I'm not sure otherwise why you have that. Can you explain?
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The graphs look great but I'm sure you can do this with less parts. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Results look pretty good. There are two things I wonder about

1. I am not sure what the notch between amp + and ground is accomplishing. Sometimes those are used to flatten the overall impedance of the speaker, but your impedance plot is far from flat. How much difference does it make if you get rid of that notch?

2. How is the tonal balance? There are a lot of swings below 600 Hz, so it is a little tough to see what the baseline output level of the woofer is relative to the tweeter. The response through the crossover region and above looks great.
          Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

The 4.5 mH coil on the woofer seems large. The woofer must also carry a portion of the midrange. IMO, for 2-ways having good quality drivers, it's best to get the most out of the woofer by making the series coil and air core coil. A 4.5 mH air core coil will run a lot of money. Try cutting back on the coil value. I presume it was high to address BSC?
            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

the lcr from the amp + to ground is to flatten the peak in the impedance and to bring the impedance phase up. i added a picture with out the lcr. i only have one speaker up and running with parts i had laying around, im waiting on a few parts to get the other one going so i can listen in stereo

Comment

Nice. You sure picked some good drivers to work with. How do you like the one speaker's sound so far? Of course it won't be fair to evaluate them until you have the pair going in stereo, which will significantly impact the bass performance.

I don't expect switching to an air core inductor would actually have an audible effect, but, I'll have to test that for myself someday to be certain.
                "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

So far it sounds pretty good, maybe a touch heavy on the low end. Once I get the other one going I may need to adjust the bsc. I forgot to give details about the cabinet, it's about .5 cubic ft tuned to around 32hz

Comment

Looks like you are off to a good start. I might suggest decreasing the smoothing setting in Omnimic software to 1/48th octave to get some more useful resolution in your measurements.
                    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by joe_bernardi43
                      So far it sounds pretty good, maybe a touch heavy on the low end. Once I get the other one going I may need to adjust the bsc. I forgot to give details about the cabinet, it's about .5 cubic ft tuned to around 32hz
                      Plug the port, I prefer the Anarchy in .5-.7cf, sealed. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I will give that a try. I'm also going to try splicing nearfield measurements.

Comment

Check your software to see what the transfer function on the woofer looks like. In your sim, you could try a notch across the woofer to help with BSC. You would then need a smaller coil on the woofer. Maybe you could post the raw measurements of the woofer, and the transfer function for us to look at.

Comment

I didn't get any time to work on it last night, hopefully I can spend some time on it when I get home from work.

Comment

i retook measurements and merged port and near-field with the far-field. is there any way to verify the phase tracking besides the reverse null? when i was figuring out the relative acoustic offset i came up with 2.75 inches does that sound right?

Comment

Working...
                              X