No announcement yet.

Anarchy and rs28f m/t my first speaker design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still playing with the crossover, I was using the parts I had on hand in the original crossover. I will post what I come up with befor i order parts.

Comment

If you can afford too, buy about $300 worth of x-over parts. You have 45 days to return what you don't need, or want to keep. I use jumper leads to connect everything on the floor behind the speaker, and most of my parts look more or less unused. Some have been soldered, and were used in speakers that were later disassembled. I probably have $500 worth of parts on hand. Making changes to a x-over, and hearing the results within minutes, or hours, is just plain fun.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
        For a little perspective on your offset, i recently finished a crossover using the rs28f and eclipse w6520r. My z offset was .043. I would not expect the anarchy too be much more if ot all than that. Both drivers are flush mounted as well.
        Even that seems like too much Chuck. When I have used the Eclipse woofer with dome tweeters I am almost always in the 24 mm range for a relative offset. Keep in mind, that if you are working with OmniMic then you can't say what the actual offset is, you can only find the relative offset for this particular set of measurements. Theses are two different things. 2.75" is way out of range though.

Jeff B.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

That's what I thought too, that's why i was questioning it. I have been messing around with pcd and this is what it looks like now.

Comment

Are you sure this is your first x-over? You seem to be very good at this!

Comment

its my first time taking measurements and designing a crossover from them. i have played around with pcd quite a bit with traced frd and zma files.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                Are you sure this is your first x-over? You seem to be very good at this!

i will take that as a complement.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post

Even that seems like too much Chuck. When I have used the Eclipse woofer with dome tweeters I am almost always in the 24 mm range for a relative offset. Keep in mind, that if you are working with OmniMic then you can't say what the actual offset is, you can only find the relative offset for this particular set of measurements. Theses are two different things. 2.75" is way out of range though.

Jeff B.
                  I agree Jeff. And after seeing it, I remeasured, rechecked, and then remeasured again. Maybe it was because I used the raw files from omnimic (and used the same through out) but measurements with the crossover matched the sim dead on.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Are you measuring at 3m distance now?

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                      Are you measuring at 3m distance now?
                      You may enter any mic distance you wish for crossover simulation.
                      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Personally, i keep it the same through out the design process, then adjust it to see what if any effect there is.

Comment

In PCD the mic distance doesn't affect anything other than the phase relation between the drivers, given the x-y-z coordinates. With that consideration, it's probably best to set it to your intended listening distance.
                          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

I am well aware of that. Part of finding the correct acoustic offset is setting the distance. But it has been my experience, to keep it the same so that you are looking at the same refrence point throughout.

Comment

At .5m the phase tracking is off but they will never be listened to that close. At 1m and beyond the phase lines up nicely. I hope my measurements were accurate enough that they measure the same as the sim but I won't know for a while, I have to wait until payday on the 16th to order parts.

Comment

Maybe its just me. I prefer to keep all measurements the same thru my process. Perhaps I am wrong, but I also know I have had excellent results with this method. I don't listen at less than a meter either, closer to about 2.5-3 at least. The better I can get the phase aligned and the larger the area that it is aligned on the shorter distance, the better it does at the actual listening position.

Comment

Working...
                                X