Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

InDIYana 2017 Fallout/Precursory InDIYana 2018 Theme Poll....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gang,

Just a comment that I'm loving the options being polled for next years contest. No matter which is chosen it should be fascinating.
    Also, I'm hoping that some additional folks who actually heard the speakers will comment as Isaeagle did above on their impressions of the contenders. I am definitely going to build one, but have not decided which yet. My issue is that while I am sure they all sounded excellent, if i just replicated the winner I might be overlooking a really great design because it got knocked out of the competition in the elimination round. Maybe some folks could briefly comment on what they thought sounded great and would be a good build for a beginner like me.

Best,
    Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      . I would not expect someone to make a 5ft^3 cab to be in a contest with $250 in drivers. That's silly. I want it to be easily and inexpensively replicated, hence the cost. Since you've centered on that point, I would hope people keep the volume under the same volume max (3.5ft^3) for the 11 and beyond. Anything larger than that is going to make this harder to run in a timely fashion. That said- less consumed volume would be preferred if applicable just to make the competition run smoother. Let's be reasonable. Alright, arm twisted- 2.5ft^3 max, just so it's stated. I'll update the poll criteria.

Later,
      Wolf

It's good that you restricted the size now while we are voting, but you just eliminated something like a not so silly $20 12" GRS 12PR-8 in a sealed box with a 6.5" HDS mid in a 5' transmission line as a potential entry.

Comment

How long is the poll open for voting?
        Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
        DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
        Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
          Any restriction on the tweeter being OB, for the AR? Dipole tweeter, open back tweeter?
          Just the midrange, not the tweeter.

I didn't know you couldn't see the poll's end. I have it set for 7/7/17, one week before MWAF.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Can a coax be used in AR?
            Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
            DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
            Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Just for fun, how about a cabinet minimum and driver maximum? Not snarking here, but a minimum 5^ft cabinet and $250 driver limit would be fun, and I might drive in for that :-).

I respect the limitations logistics imposes, though. I just think it would be fun to build a big ol speaker with a cheap 18-21" pro woofer...
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                Just for fun, how about a cabinet minimum and driver maximum? Not snarking here, but a minimum 5^ft cabinet and $250 driver limit would be fun, and I might drive in for that :-).

I respect the limitations logistics imposes, though. I just think it would be fun to build a big ol speaker with a cheap 18-21" pro woofer...
                It would be. But as you said, logistics. Not only in getting them there, but in the room and changed out in a timely manner. Definitely would be fun though!
                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

While we are at it....
                  What I would really like is a requirement of all buyout or NLA drivers. I have a really interesting 4 way I need an excuse to build. I have a quad of 10" VMPS woofers (carbon fiber with wooden phase plugs, Qts close to 0.7), a pair of 3" dome midranges from last year's tent sale, a pair of the AMT Pro-4's with the wrong faceplates, and some of the old Walmart ribbon tweeters.
                  Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

I have this dream about building a portable 5 cubic foot 5 meter long horn that folds up into a suitcase. While I've not been successful with the horn, a simple box seems doable.
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Well how about a minimum driver cost based on enclosure volume, say $6.7372/liter? Make it interesting by limiting the crossover cost to no more than $1.0025/liter and mandating a maximum F3of 44.1Hz?

Comment

Or forbidding drivers sold by Meniscus or requiring Dayton caps or demanding a Jantzen P-Core in the tweeter circuit?

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                          Can a coax be used in AR?
                          Nope. That crosses the boundary of the other selection. All categories are mutually exclusive.

Scott- build it and bring it! I wouldn't care if it's in a theme category or not!

JR- the 'scaler' is an interesting premise. I'd have to think about how that would apply...

JR- The last statement I am thinking you surely are joking. Mandating something so finite really limits the creativity. That would be like saying you have to use these drivers and this box, design/make the xover- which (BTW) has been done before. There was a contest of sorts back around 1998, and all members shipped in their xovers to the origin where the theme was tested on the same cabs. Measurements and listening made the decision. I like the premise of the 'Shelved Limits' in this regard, as it is in reverse, and you have many options.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'm in favor of just about anything but I think its time to swing the pendulum away from itsy-bitsy speakers for awhile. I understand their draw and the ease of transport is of high importance but I'm glad to see the Deep and Wide category mentioned. (I think you know where my vote went LOL.)

shawn
                            My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_a View Post
                              I'm in favor of just about anything but I think its time to swing the pendulum away from itsy-bitsy speakers for awhile. I understand their draw and the ease of transport is of high importance but I'm glad to see the Deep and Wide category mentioned. (I think you know where my vote went LOL.)

shawn
                              The votes aren't anonymous - says here you voted for Shelved Limits LOL ;)
                              I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                                The votes aren't anonymous - says here you voted for Shelved Limits LOL ;)
                                Whoa! Weird mouse click moment. There was once I time that idea intrigued me though.

shawn
                                My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Working...
                                X