Newbie needs help with sub enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs help with sub enclosure

I am new to speaker enclosures. I am building a sealed box for this Dayton 8" sub. The stated enclosure size is 0.33 cubic feet. Do the dimensions of the box matter as long as the volume is the same? For example will a 10" x 10" x 5.7" box sound the same as a 17.5" x 10" x 3.26" box? TIA - Greg
    Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer

The F3 of that driver in a sealed box will only be 68 Hz... that's not really very low and not at all a 'subwoofer' as we normally think of them. I think you will be disappointed with that setup.

If you can give up a cubic foot or so it will do much better vented.
    As far as your other question, the box dimensions usually don't matter on subs as long as you don't get too extreme. the 3.26" dimension may be okay but that's kind of pushing it a bit in my opinion. According to the product page it's 3.74" deep, so unless you're planning on mounting it magnet side out, it won't fit in that box.

Can you go bigger with the box?

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Generally speaking, for a sub the volume is all that matters. That's because the wavelengths concerned are so long that the box dimensions are short by comparison.
      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
        The F3 of that driver in a sealed box will only be 68 Hz... that's not really very low and not at all a 'subwoofer' as we normally think of them. I think you will be disappointed with that setup.

If you can give up a cubic foot or so it will do much better vented.
        As far as your other question, the box dimensions usually don't matter on subs as long as you don't get too extreme. the 3.26" dimension may be okay but that's kind of pushing it a bit in my opinion. According to the product page it's 3.74" deep, so unless you're planning on mounting it magnet side out, it won't fit in that box.

Can you go bigger with the box?

TomZ
        Oops! I forgot to look at the speaker depth, thanks! I have flexibility in the size of the box. Let me explain the whole concept. I have an old Grundig accessory speaker similar to the picture. I am thinking of making a speaker console out of it with a pair of Dayton B652-Air bookshelf speakers and a small amp like the lepai 2 x 40 x 68. I want to add a sub for a little more thump. Perhaps you can recommend a better option for the sub? I was going to point the sub out of the bottom and keep the box shallow so I could mount the bookshelf speakers above it. But I could probably point the sub out the back and have a little more room to play with. In fact, if I seal up the Grundig case well enough, I suppose I could use all of the remaining space (minus the amp and speakers) in the Grundig as the sub box (approx. 1.8 cubic feet). I could add port it if that would help but tuning and placing a port seems a little beyond my present capabilities.

Comment

If you want all the speakers and sub in that one box, could I suggest pairing the Dayton Air speakers with a Voxel subwoofer? It would probably all fit in there and I think Paul C used that exact amp with his Voxel if I'm not mistaken. Cool little vintage box by the way, I like the look of it.

If you don't mind stepping up on your amp selection, such as going with a a small 2 channel amp similar to the Lepai 2020T along with Dayton's 70 watt subwoofer plate amp and your original 8" dual VC driver, you would probably have a louder, more powerful setup. I'd probably do something like that if I had a pair of the Dayton Airs needing a home.

TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
            If you want all the speakers and sub in that one box, could I suggest pairing the Dayton Air speakers with a Voxel subwoofer? It would probably all fit in there and I think Paul C used that exact amp with his Voxel if I'm not mistaken. Cool little vintage box by the way, I like the look of it.

If you don't mind stepping up on your amp selection, such as going with a a small 2 channel amp similar to the Lepai 2020T along with Dayton's 70 watt subwoofer plate amp and your original 8" dual VC driver, you would probably have a louder, more powerful setup. I'd probably do something like that if I had a pair of the Dayton Airs needing a home.

TomZ
            That Voxel looks interesting, I may give that a try. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably start with the lepai for simplicity and $$. I can always upgrade the amp later if I am unhappy. I'll be sure to post the build in the project gallery.

Comment

Working...
            X