Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JavadS
    replied
    Looking awesome John, would love to hear these as well!

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    Wow, just read through this whole thread, very nice work! Are these going to be at Grinnell?

Unfortunately these are not going to Grinnell and neither am I.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied
    Wow, just read through this whole thread, very nice work! Are these going to be at Grinnell?

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Those look really good and I still have no idea how they work but nice job!

Leave a comment:

• KEtheredge87
    replied
    Looking good John! Certainly a different approach that we don't see too often. I hope you get to come and bring these to the next InDIYana event! I'd really like to hear them.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Paint is on. Down to final assembly and testing

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    With the prototype done, x-o parts on order, it's time to start putting these together.

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied
    That's an open invite so if you think you'll be in the area, hit me up!

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    I'm in Colorado at that time. I'm all over the next few months. You might like these, f3 is 34hz. MI is on our list. There are several breweries we want to visit there as well.

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied
    John... what are the odds of you making it to MI on Sept 16?? I would LOVE to hear these

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    It took a while to dial this in. I've been listening for the last few days and really like the clarity. It's almost like the open baffle clarity, but subtle. If open baffle gives a open airy sound this is like adding depth. Very similar to nearfield listening. I think there is lower distortion that plays a factor as well as the horn loading cutting off the out of band junk.

I posted this on another site but wanted to share the XT25 distortion when horn loaded, with and without x-o

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    On to x-o design. Attached are the three curves I'm dealing with. First x-o was OK, still needs a bit of tweaking.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    The woofer "box" port is not an issue. The mid and woofer cavity resonances are not in the pass band of the tweeter. Attached are a few pics.

Sculpting the mid and woofer horn entrances will change the response from the mid and horns. Just based on all the hole changes made yesterday I could not see a response difference I could attribute to different entrance hole thicknesses.

There are probably some other location changes I could try. I'm at the point where this thing needs to be buildable, so I'm hesitant to go much different. As to moveing items outside the horn, I loose some of the pattern control I'm trying to maintain.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Just a few thoughts...
    1- could you slot-port out the front sides to remove the port issues?
    2- could you place a pair of side-ways traps flanking the tweeter to eliminate their issues?
    3- would fluid flow/diffraction be an issue for the woofers' cavity resonances? I recall Bill's entry to MWAF one year as having sculpted entries into the horn, and an arcing slot exit right at the horn entrance, and those were almost to the mid-point in the bottom and top horn flare panels whilst being at the extremes in horizontal placement; ei- basically 'at the groove' or 90 degree bend in the horn.

Of course- I'm just speculating and interested to what you find out...
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    The next pics show what happens to the mid response when the woofer holes are covered, reduce by about 1/2 , inside half, outside half, bottom half, top half. Note there are both hole opening size changes and location changes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X